View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 damage cap for tiny ship builds NEEDS to go 

Re: Cargo - the 'tesseract' container suggests that the cargo hold is made bigger by adding additional dimensions of space. The cargo hold may be similar to the TARDIS - bigger inside than out.

Re: glitchiness - in addition to hull is the problem that dog-piling someone lags the game so that you're shooting about once every five seconds. We had this problem a while back trying to knock Nam off Exotica. If more than a couple of us attacked, the lag was so bad that he could fight us off in his sleep. He wasnt getting lag on his end, so he could repair whenever needed and had plenty of time to cage off debuffs.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 am

Toastar wrote:
Re: glitchiness - in addition to hull is the problem that dog-piling someone lags the game so that you're shooting about once every five seconds. We had this problem a while back trying to knock Nam off Exotica. If more than a couple of us attacked, the lag was so bad that he could fight us off in his sleep. He wasnt getting lag on his end, so he could repair whenever needed and had plenty of time to cage off debuffs.

That sounds remarkably like the super-fail attack on Dysonia during the Dumonion war...

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

Wasn't the server lagged out more because of certain people thinking outside assistance would not lead to a super fail, but instead a super win?

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I loved being a SSB

Energy: I had enough to pvp thats all i wanted to do

Ap: Chilling at 2k did me fine, i had a pretty decent reputation as a SSB so it wasnt like i was doing bad.

Crew: I was a Raider so i had a extra oopmf to my crew again not a issue, didnt worry about raiding much higher ranks just wanted the kills

planets: I assume i was lucky because i never ran into a planet i couldnt take until i was around rank 260. Most of my planets werent that good enough to steal, and if they were they were stolen but werent hard to replace.

Modules: Re-arranging kinda sucked but it really wasnt that big of a hassle i was a frigate SSB so i had some room for stuff.

Attack: I normally had double if not triple the attack or defense of most of the ships i fought as a SSB.

Side notes: I was a SSB till around rank 200 when they changed the way the dmg cap worked, i thought it was going to be a huge disadvantage for me so i grew, and my ship suffered for the most part, and to make up for my lost dmg cap that gave me my advantage i had to be more creative with my game play.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 am

Malevolentia wrote:
A smaller ship will be faster, more maneuverable and also there's less of a target to hit. Imagine shooting 100 bullets at a barn door all at the same time. Not difficult? You would probably hit every single shot. Now imagine trying to shoot a tin can with 100 bullets at the same time. It's not exactly an easy shot for all 100. You might hit a dozen; even two dozen. But all 100? They can't even fit.

The Normandy was a smaller ship with more maneuverability than Harbinger but Harbinger still managed to hit with a bunch of shots and destroy it. Smaller ship may be able to bob and weave more quickly but getting hit is going to do some serious damage.

The Normandy got outfitted with better thrusters and armor, allowing it to survive other encounters with the Reapers. That is why I think defense mods should have differentiating effects in battle. By this I'm referring to dampeners and thrusters. Dampeners will reduce the amount of damage taken on the ship. Thrusters allow quicker movement.

If we were to talk about smaller being harder to hit, why not put in a dodge effect increased by using thrusters. It would be based on ship size and thrusters. This would take into account the "being able to hit a smaller target with a flurry of shots" idea.

Go! Go! Tricky style!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 am

here is the rub, when you attack an SSB, for some reson the damge YOU take is increased, that shoudl be fixed, fine if it takes me more shots to kill them, but they should not havean andvantage over a ship I attack with more attack power than them.

That is to say: an SSB with 10K attack will deal more damage to your ship than another player off the same rank with more decks and 10K attack. That is screwy & should be fixed.

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 pm

QCubed wrote:
here is the rub, when you attack an SSB, for some reson the damge YOU take is increased, that shoudl be fixed, fine if it takes me more shots to kill them, but they should not havean andvantage over a ship I attack with more attack power than them.

That is to say: an SSB with 10K attack will deal more damage to your ship than another player off the same rank with more decks and 10K attack. That is screwy & should be fixed.

Are you sure about that? If that's the case, it's certainly a bug, as that is not supposed to happen.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm

FerrusManus wrote:
QCubed wrote:

Are you sure about that? If that's the case, it's certainly a bug, as that is not supposed to happen.

either that or the game is lying to me about the attack and defense of the other player and/or the size of their ship.

I first mentioned this in a similar thread months ago, because I was PvPing at the time, and had noticed it happening, I haven;t heard that it was fixed, but I haven't been PvPing lately, so, who know.

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Last edited by QCubed on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm

QCubed wrote:
FerrusManus wrote:
QCubed wrote:

either that or the game is lying to me about the attack and defense of the other player and/or the size of their ship.

Are you using Probes to check their attack and defense?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Fire a battleship turret at a canoe that has piles upon piles of people, without a motor to move the canoe (tiny ship, huge crew, no defense modules) and take a guess what would happen; If you thought the obvious, you were right; you'll quickly notice that SSB logic completely fails in reality as that canoe just gets shredded and that massive crew totally massacred in that one shot.

I mean, someone with 0 to 5 defense (meaning no thrusters for maneuverability, that thing is drifting as opposed to maneuvering) shouldn't take a mere 19 more damage than their own rank when I have 3k attack, while the SSB does nearly twice as much damage despite having very little in the way of weapons.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 am

Darky wrote:
Fire a battleship turret at a canoe that has piles upon piles of people, without a motor to move the canoe (tiny ship, huge crew, no defense modules) and take a guess what would happen; If you thought the obvious, you were right; you'll quickly notice that SSB logic completely fails in reality as that canoe just gets shredded and that massive crew totally massacred in that one shot.

I mean, someone with 0 to 5 defense (meaning no thrusters for maneuverability, that thing is drifting as opposed to maneuvering) shouldn't take a mere 19 more damage than their own rank when I have 3k attack, while the SSB does nearly twice as much damage despite having very little in the way of weapons.

The problem with that explanation is that the canoe has half the thrust of that battleship, and when powering something so small it is way faster than the battleship.
Also the people aren't really piled on. Ssbs fit the most part realistically do have space fur their crew.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:24 am

QCubed wrote:
FerrusManus wrote:
QCubed wrote:

I first mentioned this in a similar thread months ago, because I was PvPing at the time, and had noticed it happening, I haven;t heard that it was fixed, but I haven't been PvPing lately, so, who know.

The game doesnt have any conscience what so ever, there for it cannot possibly exercise false statement knowing it is not the whole truth, intentionally.

There is a much simpler explanation to it. When you attack a ship the att/def that is shown for the enemy ship is only from modules. Knowing that and not knowing how many tac officers/helmsman the ship owner has added is where the answer why you are taking more dmg rests. As me and someone else earlier pointed out SSB invest in Tacs/engineers where MSB invest his rank points/prisoners in decks so now you see that here rests the answer to your baffling!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 am

KJReed wrote:
Also the people aren't really piled on. Ssbs fit the most part realistically do have space fur their crew.

Realistically, 10 k engineers, 8 k tactical officers, 8 k helmsmen, and 14k scientist would be tight fit on a ship with 300 decks. Unless it's a very long ship but even the Nautilus had several so called decks along its length.

Speaking realistically, 40 k people plus the captain could probably fit in 300 decks but comfort and functionality would be highly sacrificed. The definitive "deck" would not be big enough. Realistically.

Go! Go! Tricky style!

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:02 am

i can't believe this topic is still continuing ... and that people are still trying to get a 'realistic' analogy to justify their arguments. we have tiny planets with 80 inhabitants. we have decks that can hold thousands of people. we get daily rewards from the heavens. HELLO, McFLY ! ... IT'S A SPACE FANTASY GAME !

there is nothing unfair about the SSB build. in return for sacrifices in cost and shuffling ship modules, they get a lower damage cap. those with an MSB or LSB can have more scan more cloak more firepower and get a higher damage cap. simple as that.

just like multi-raiding, and multi-hacking, it is just part of the game mechanics. unless the in-game balance is out of whack, you don't have a leg to stand on. if the whole galaxy was going SSB then Dan would have to address the situation, but that is clearly not the case.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
i can't believe this topic is still continuing ... and that people are still trying to get a 'realistic' analogy to justify their arguments. we have tiny planets with 80 inhabitants. we have decks that can hold thousands of people. we get daily rewards from the heavens. HELLO, McFLY ! ... IT'S A SPACE FANTASY GAME !

there is nothing unfair about the SSB build. in return for sacrifices in cost and shuffling ship modules, they get a lower damage cap. those with an MSB or LSB can have more scan more cloak more firepower and get a higher damage cap. simple as that.

just like multi-raiding, and multi-hacking, it is just part of the game mechanics. unless the in-game balance is out of whack, you don't have a leg to stand on. if the whole galaxy was going SSB then Dan would have to address the situation, but that is clearly not the case.

^ I'm too lazy to type out what I think, so thanks for doing it for me. :)

Devastation - Rank 1209 - Proud Officer of Imperium of Namalak

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:03 pm

senatorhung wrote:

sry, but you are very wrong in first part about "space fantasy" game. Hope you know the difference between FANTASY and SCIENCE- FICTION without additional explanation.
Game-master wrote:
For "content-related" suggestions, inspirations from any Sci-Fi source is great. Even better if its fits with an existing faction/story element.

For the last part of how many players do SSB - already mentioned maybe dozen times... people who start with SSB usually give it up and switch the ship build or directly quit GL. The SSB players which stay in game per my observation are majority after account restart and having huge help to recover to original rank and resource income. I think the forum is full enough of such account restart threads to do not need to clarify this anymore, right? 8-)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Flux wrote:
sry, but you are very wrong in first part about "space fantasy" game. Hope you know the difference between FANTASY and SCIENCE- FICTION without additional explanation.

You are confusing his intent with the word fantasy. See definition 1. You assumed definition 2 in reference to a genre of fiction which interestingly enough ALL qualifies as definition 1 fantasy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fantasy

------------------------------------------------------------------

On to other things. SSBs sacrifice almost all ship utility to be a pain in the butt to disable, and tend to have lower attack than other ships their rank which can make NPCing quite difficult. They also tend to rank slower than their peers due to the necessity for almost ALL of their early growth depending solely on AP pulls at low production levels. I personally see the SSB build as a way of playing the game on hard mode, and if they are already playing in hard mode why make things worse for them?

You don't 'HAVE' to do anything to them on the BT if you don't want to. So unless you are one of the people that just wants to disable every single person on the battle tab for s***s and giggles it doesn't really affect you at all.

In no way is this name related to Nefarian from WOW. Have been using it since 6 years before that game first launched.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

Darky wrote:

The big problem is almost everyone in this game always ends up comparing it to scenarios like that. We aren't talking anything like that. When you first start out, you are a ship with 20 decks. A Nimitz-class Aircraft Carrier has approximately 18 stories worth of decks (""11 levels and 8 decks"), and has a crew of approximately 5,680 people [see "Complement" under "General Characteristics"].

Our ships begin at 20 decks; presumably slightly larger than said aircraft carrier, and with much less crew. Now, let's presume it takes a SSB until rank 200 to get 5000 crew. By then, they'll have 220 decks if following the lowest possible formula, which with a linear progression would mean they could hold up to almost 70,000 crew[(220/18)*5680] with the same amount of "comfort" those would have on an aircraft carrier (which are, of course, cramped).

Seriously, even our smallest ships in this game are larger than some of the biggest oceanic vessels we have today. In terms of size, 20 decks may be small compared to 4,000, but the thing is that 4,000 is sheerly enormous. There's a reason it's a "Colossal Galaxy Destroyer", because it's so freaking huge. The weapons aren't going to be less effective; if you have the decks to install them, it's the same size weapon. It'll just look oversized on a smaller ship. So it's not like a "canoe versus a destroyer", it's more like something ten times the size of an aircraft carrier (a "small ship" of 180 decks) versus something so large we couldn't even visualize how big it is.

And I mean, with the amount of crew you start with, that aircraft-carrier sized rig is darn near a ghost ship.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 pm

The fun part is imagining the sheer scale of the things we install.

That random gun? Probably four times the size of your air craft carrier. That defensive module? It's like having a tardis plugged in to your ship to dodge the above gun... except the inside is the space, not the outside. Maximum hull is kilometers thick, and we have enough scanners installed to put the entire star trek federation fleet to shame.

And that's a medium sized ship with minimum modules. Our gun arrays are verging on being the size of Borg cubes....

I loved your explanation, and hope it works better than the last time I tried making the same kind. Sometimes I think gl players forget to read the fluff behind the technology we use on our ships. Cloning pods and time manipulations alone put us past almost any science fiction series I can think of...

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 am

Golgotha wrote:
Cloning pods and time manipulations alone put us past almost any science fiction series I can think of...

Cloning&Time manipulation -> Star gate and Army of Anubis.. or Fringe and "Observers"

I think, you are lucky if you did not see yet these TV shows.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next