View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Ship clss and size. 

Littlefluffy wrote:
Someone who has a SSB at a high rank had to work to get there. They had to manage their ship and deal with the lack of space while ranking. The advantage they receive in late game is the reward for their hard work. If you added decks to fit your ship with ever module created that was your choice. The damage cap was changed to remove some of the advantages that the received by making ranking a factor. Now that some ships are receiving the benefits of their build you claim it is unfair and want to remove the advantage they worked hard to get. The game mechanics should not change because the advantage that was known from the start is being used well.

As for your argument about the ship size and it not making sense. All I have to say is that this is a game, there are going to be certain discrepancies between reality and what the game allows. Including, bases changing modules in the middle of a lock, ships disabled while guarding a planet and the enemy ship not seeing the planet, cargoes several times larger than the ship is (maybe that's where all the crew goes), and let's not forget the really in your face obvious one...alien races, space ships and 4M planets in a galaxy with no stars/black holes.

Also your idea of making ship size a factor of crew, would make having a larger crew make your ship weaker, meaning those who have 100K+ crew one of the easiest to kill because their damage cap would be the largest and even if I am only doing 1/10 of the damage cap it might be more damage than a person with small crew who only added helmsmen rather than scientists

You mean this has been this way since the beginning of the game ? It wasn't known from the start ..
I've played pretty much from the beginning and don't remember anything like that.

We don't care about how much cargo space a ship has. All of us over rank 1k have a problem with the mechanics of the game when the hull, defense, attack and damage cap on both ships are completely out of proportion to favor the little guy and it doesn't even make sense that he be that strong especially to hold off three of the top legions in the game.
That's simply ridiculous.
Our ships couldn't fight that off and a little one can ? That's not even close to being in proportion on any level and I'm not talking about ranks.

This has been tolerated till now because we haven't cared much about it because it hasn't been an issue until one of these little things can hold off three legions guarding Exotica and the other ships can be taken out.
There has to be some common sense and balance here where there is none.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 am

Chris24markey wrote:
Toastar wrote:
I agree with Fluffy - people plan and make sacrifices for SSB's - I have no problem with them reaping the rewards. Folks like Golgotha that made it to high level as an SSB planned a deliberate strategy and stuck to it.

The problem I see is more in how the game works - if somone gets attacked by several people, it lags the game insanely, but *only on attacks on that person.* So like, if Golgotha is guarding Exotica, and the Dysonians want to knock him off while he's online, it's basically impossible, due to the lag. One guy can't disable him due to the SSB - it takes several of us to tag-team him and overwhelm him. However, this generates such hideous lag that we each can't get off more than a shot every 3-4 seconds. Since the lag is only affecting us, he can recharge with no trouble and bascially can't be killed.

Note that this problem isn't unique to SSB's - we had similar trouble with Namalak. Since he was online, we had to dogpile. Because of the lag this caused, our attacks went off so slowly that he could keep repaired indefinitely.

Without the lag, this wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. But with it, someone that's online and has a half-way decent hull is basically invincible - as long as they spam traps/repairs, one evenly matched person won't be enough to kill them. A group will lag the system so that they can't do the job either.

Toast did hit a very good point but I'd like to see in black and white if this is the only issue. We can't rule out anything at this point because we're not programmers.

very well put mate. this is probly the heart of the problem, its not that they have an op advantage, its the fact it is the more that attack the worce the lag is getting, and were numbers should have no issue in killing the ship its next to impossible due to the lag that gives them a greated advantage.

I also posted in another topic a timer should be added to artifacts say 20-30 sec per use to counter mind the lag.

But i think you hit the true problem on the head, because its not truly a problem to kill them, its the game making it impossible to do so, and thats the reson the issue needs to be adressed!

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:44 am

If I recall, wasn't the damage cap originally based on hull size? What was the compelling argument for changing that?

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 am
Profile WWW

Chris24markey wrote:
senatorhung wrote:

seriously ?? if every time you get more crew, you have to rank up, then everyone who starts at about the same time will have around the same number of decks. so, where would the ship variety come from ? there will be an 'ideal' build for every rank - how boring !

your making my point for me... the ships should be difent. each with its own ability. as it stands now they have no diversity.

but you tell me were you can have a scout with 10k crew on it. it no longer a scout. all ships should have limits and requierments to have. those requierments should include all aspects of the game. cargo hull crew sheilds.

Chris you're making sense here but the raiding factor has to come in and that goes by how much crew a ship has. Dan made us able to buy crew if we want with GP's and we can make them with artifact planets so we have to be able to have as much crew as we want whether it makes sense or not.
Now having a tiny little ship hold off three legions on Exotica is a complete different story.

About the Cargo. Cargo is an artifact draw and can be bought with GP. Again it's a way for Dan to make money so this has to be counted out as well.
Besides it's not effecting game play so who cares.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 am

Xx Blitz xX wrote:
You mean this has been this way since the beginning of the game ? It wasn't known from the start ..
I've played pretty much from the beginning and don't remember anything like that.

We don't care about how much cargo space a ship has. All of us over rank 1k have a problem with the mechanics of the game when the hull, defense, attack and damage cap on both ships are completely out of proportion to favor the little guy and it doesn't even make sense that he be that strong especially to hold off three of the top legions in the game.
Our ships couldn't fight that off and a little one can ? That's not even close to being in proportion on any level and I'm not talking about ranks.

This has been tolerated till now because we haven't cared much about it because it hasn't been an issue until one of these little things can hold off three legions guarding Exotica and the other ships can be taken out.

webguydan wrote:
Damage cap ceilings have been adjusted.

Prior to this change, the maximum damage dealt to a ship in a single shot was (0.5 x # of ship decks)
Now, that ceiling is (0.5 x # of ship decks), OR (0.5 x (player rank + 19)), whichever is greater.

Most ships will not notice this change, as they typically apply at least 1 deck per rank.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 am

Caladis wrote:
To a certain extent limiting crew based on a ship size would make some sence. On smaller ships in the Navy, like Submarines, they use a system called Hot-Racking where 2 people share the same bed, 1 person is asleep while the other is on-duty. It works but i can't say anyone likes it. Game or not it's hard to say that 12 crew could share 4 beds in the same room on the same deck.

So....let's say there's 4 types of crew, Tactical Officers, Helmsmen, Engineers, and Scientists. Now let's say there's limited space for crew quaters aboard the ship and every crew member is entitled to thier own room. Also, let's go further out on a limb and say there's limited Cargo space per deck also.

Currently you can get 2 Tactical Officers, 2 Helmsmen, 2 Engineers, 3 Scientists and 5 Cargo per Rank point.

My Idea: Limit the amount of Rank Points that can be put into crew allowing a max of 10 Tactical, 10 Helm, 10 Engineers, 15 scientists and 25 Cargo Per deck. Basically limiting crew and cargo to 5 rank points each per deck. 45 crew per deck is generous for a cap in my opinion.

So a "Cruiser" with 250 decks would be limited to a max of 2500 Tactical, Helm and Engineers plus 3750 Scientists and 6250 Cargo. Once the "cap" is reached, the option to add more is Greyed-Out until your ship gets bigger.

In the case of a bigger ship, lets say a "Heavy Goliath" with 1200 Decks is simalarly limited to a max of 12k Tactical, Helm and Engineer plus 18k Scientists and 30k Cargo. So, as you can see, some people would never reach the cap so the change probably would only affect people over the cap already, Forcing minor increases in ship size.

This limits the overall long term advanage of SSB, it does force people to make there ship a little bigger. For people already over the cap, they don't lose what they have but they would have to put the points into something else or not use them at all. Also, like with planets or ship modules with a cap of max number allowed, change Artifacts like the Android Helmsmen and Scientists to not allow to be used if the person is over the cap on that crew type. Same with MSP and Terrasects, i don't see myself needing more than 85k cargo with the number of decks i already have.

This change would even out some PvP in the sence that you can't be a SSB forever, it probably wouldn't force people to increase the size of thier ships by much but you get the picture. Bottom line, i agree that a Crusier shouldn't be able to kill a Galaxy Destroyer simply because of the damage cap.

Although you have a good point that makes sense, no one in the game likes restrictions. They only need to be applied when they absolutely have to be. In this case the problem is hull, defense, attack and the damage cap for tiny ships. I don't care how much crew they have or how much cargo they have. It doesn't effect anyone in the game but their advantages do when being attacked or when we're attacking them and especially when they're guarding planets from personal experience.
I'm not sure how much damage they can do to my ship :

Size Class: Colossal Galaxy Destroyer
Space: 6398 / 6398

but I'm assuming he does a lot more than I can do to him. Does this make any sense at all ?
The problem wouldn't even be a problem if it's a low rank that hasn't been able to research weapons high enough or put the skill points in Tactical Officers/ TO's to make it an issue. Rank begins to be a problem and common sense goes out the window as well as the mechanics of the game.

Hate me all you want but this is a problem to a good 98% to 99% of the high ranks out here.
While guarding Exotica it just doesn't make sense.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 am

Xx Blitz xX wrote:
About the Cargo. Cargo is an artifact draw and can be bought with GP. Again it's a way for Dan to make money so this has to be counted out as well.

I brought it because saying the crew is too big for the ship and ignoring the cargo is a double standard. If one is accepted the other should if one is rejected so should the other. Cargo generally not an issue for those with more than 20k ap because of all the MSPs.

As for cargo no effecting the game, I take it you have never had a SSB. Cargo is vital for a SSB, especially at lower ranks. It is the only way I would be able to do scan runs.

And you are proving my point in my first post, the advantage that they worked for, the very reason they struggled with cargo space, figured out the best possible combination of modules to place in the limited amount of space...all that work so that they could take less damage, and now that it is paying off you want to change it.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am

Littlefluffy wrote:
Xx Blitz xX wrote:

I brought it because saying the crew is too big for the ship and ignoring the cargo is a double standard. If one is accepted the other should if one is rejected so should the other. Cargo generally not an issue for those with more than 20k ap because of all the MSPs.

As for cargo no effecting the game, I take it you have never had a SSB. Cargo is vital for a SSB, especially at lower ranks. It is the only way I would be able to do scan runs.

And you are proving my point in my first post, the advantage that they worked for, the very reason they struggled with cargo space, figured out the best possible combination of modules to place in the limited amount of space...all that work so that they could take less damage, and now that it is paying off you want to change it.

Everyone needs as much cargo as they can get as well as crew mainly to slow down being raided. So if someone wants to buy a million helmsman I guess we can't do anything about that. I support Dan making a buck or two in his game.
I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Edit : Nvm you thought I meant count it out of the game lol. No it needs to be counted out from not affecting the game.
We need as many options as we can get to keep it interesting. I'm sure I opened Pandora's box by saying that but hey it's true.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 am

My point is that the argument of saying the crew size should dictate the ship size and thus damage cap should also apply to cargo space. While cargo space may not effect the game for others, the logic you are using for the argument would include changes needed to cargo:
A scout is too small for 10k crew therefore a scout is too small to have 20k cargo.
I didn't think you meant it should not count, I am saying the idea that the ship size should be dictated by the above logic is incomplete without the cargo segment.

I am also saying that the work those who built a SS at high ranks should reap the rewards for their work and even though it puts me at a large disadvantage it is a game mechanic I knew about and decided to ignore any way and must pay for it.

The argument for the change is either the above or just a bunch of people whining that they chose a less strategically favor build than someone else and are demanding a change be made to compensate.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 am

Littlefluffy wrote:
My point is that the argument of saying the crew size should dictate the ship size and thus damage cap should also apply to cargo space. While cargo space may not effect the game for others, the logic you are using for the argument would include changes needed to cargo:
A scout is too small for 10k crew therefore a scout is too small to have 20k cargo.
I didn't think you meant it should not count, I am saying the idea that the ship size should be dictated by the above logic is incomplete without the cargo segment.

I am also saying that the work those who built a SS at high ranks should reap the rewards for their work and even though it puts me at a large disadvantage it is a game mechanic I knew about and decided to ignore any way and must pay for it.

The argument for the change is either the above or just a bunch of people whining that they chose a less strategically favor build than someone else and are demanding a change be made to compensate.

No I'm not saying that the crew size should dictate the size of the ship at all. It's been said but I don't agree with it at all. I'm saying that we need as many crew as we all can get for a few reasons.
The damage cap has nothing to do with cargo space. They don't take ship bots right ? So they shouldn't effect the deck size to effect the damage cap.

I can see your concern obviously but there needs to be some balance.
We all should be able to take our decks out and be tiny again although I wouldn't do it if you paid me.

The problem we all have is a tiny little ship being able to stop some of the 3 top 10 legions on it's own from being disabled. It's completely ridiculous and unbalances the game.
That's not whining because it's a fact and it's a real problem that makes no sense.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:59 am

What if the deck damage cap was removed and only the rank one would count ? Low level would still get an advantage but not that big and building your ship strong would still be important.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

You are all great players, but it seems to me that this thread's name should be "Please change dmg cap, cuz we made a mistake when we were low ranks and we didn't realize how powerful a SSB is and how useless are most of the modules compared to crew".
For me at least, there would be no other way to compete with people, who started playing the game 1 year before and earned millions of resources before I even knew the game existed. So I see it as a very good way to balance the game between new players(those who read forums and wiki ofc.) and old players(who didnt know how powerful is that).

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Chris24markey wrote:
both. little ships should not get the advantage of both power and damage caps. if you want the protection of a small ship, you can not have unlimited atkack on said ship! it should not take 30 galaxy destroyers to kill one scout.

and tadah if this happens 50% stops playing GL

people with a ssb and slow rank get good stats for their rank while it takes the same or even more time to get the same attack as higher ranks

stop whining, this is the same as suggesting bases should have player ship stats -.-

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Littlefluffy wrote:
Xx Blitz xX wrote:

webguydan wrote:
Damage cap ceilings have been adjusted.

Prior to this change, the maximum damage dealt to a ship in a single shot was (0.5 x # of ship decks)
Now, that ceiling is (0.5 x # of ship decks), OR (0.5 x (player rank + 19)), whichever is greater.

Most ships will not notice this change, as they typically apply at least 1 deck per rank.

That change is somewhat irrelevant to what they are taking about. How many upper rank ssb's actually use that?
That change helps balance things out at lower ranks maybe, but as you look higher and higher it becomes les important
I think maybe another formula should be added.
Something combining decks and ranks into one formula.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I was answering his question. The deck equation was used from the beginning.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I could interject being an SSB some love, many hate, and scream out that I'll put my CC away too if Dan nerfs the SSB style more for all the whiners out there who are demanding change, but as I've taken the time to read through this whole thread, SSB damage caps and crew don't seem to be the problem here...

I'm about to clock 2 years with GL. Rank 333, and I have made HUGE sacrifices to play this way. I don't come on here and ask any of you larger ships to make changes!!! Hell, all I want to do is PVP. What I do want, is null fuses to be tradeable, or at the very least, limit krio resetting. Why is there no cooldown on setting krios? Frankly, PvP is almost to a standstill and boring. Getting got while being offline is child's play. True player vs player online combat is where the fun is.

Also, I don't use my CC to buy helmsmen... Since thats all you CAN buy. I can't BUY anything to increase my attack, so why all this talk about 10k crew with crazy attack? My attack is staggeringly low and I am forced to be efficient about it EVERY single day. Big ships out there, I can't contend... I have to stock up my EMPs to bring them down to size if I want to pummel them. And don't even get me started about Gemini's! Ask an SSB packed with hull, what a Gemini hit does to them...

Anyway, that's not what I see is the problem is so stop trying to nerf my ship every time. What I see, if people want to argue logic about size and shape and disparity between reality and GL... Is change the way guarding works. That's why you're all here right now anyway. Once again the SSB is thrwarting something and you want it just ripped out of the game... Well folks... I agree. A scout can't defend a planet from destroyers in what we would consider reality, so it shouldn't here either. A scout CAN however, out-maneuver them. So I don't think the issue should be about my damage cap and mitigation, but rather, focus on the fact that while I can keep my ship and my thousands of crew safe, I can't protect a planet from being invaded. Change the way guarding works somehow to limit what SSBs can do. And make no mistake... If I could't reset krios, I would go down just as easy, it would just take a bit longer.

Ejjakai

The hubby needs to stay off my laptop!

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Littlefluffy wrote:

Not quite.

Darth Flagitious wrote:
If I recall, wasn't the damage cap originally based on hull size? What was the compelling argument for changing that?

Darth actually is right. For the first 5 or so months it was based off of shield and hull.
i think the reason that it was changed darth was you were basically penalized for adding hull and shields.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:38 pm

KJReed wrote:
Littlefluffy wrote:

Not quite.

Darth Flagitious wrote:

Darth actually is right. For the first 5 or so months it was based off of shield and hull.
i think the reason that it was changed darth was you were basically penalized for adding hull and shields.

As opposed to adding decks... What it looks like to me is the "problem" isn't with defense or attack. It's hull. An SSB basically can weld brackets on like crazy (and those are GP purchasable BTW) making them for all intents and purposes indestructible. Let's take an example... A rank 1000 SSB that has managed to stay in the (rank+19)/2 formula. 40k hull, which is quite possible with a decent AP, would take 79 CAPSHOTS to kill just their hull. Another 10k in shields (from XCharge, also GP purchasable) and you're looking at 100 shots AT DAMCAP to disable this ship. Tack on a couple more to account for shield recharge also. That is just ridiculous. Someone with that kind of ship <cough> can pretty much go make a bologna sandwich, get a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette and come back before the ship is dead. Throwing just a pinch of reality in here, brackets connect things. What are all these brackets connecting on a SSB? Also, brackets have mass. Increased mass equals less maneuverability. Sorry but inertia still works in space.

Now, I give Golga all the credit in the world for the work he did getting his ship where it is. It took a lot of work and planning and I can respect that. However, there is no way in hell one ship should be able to hold off me, Blitz, Instigator, Outcast, Nwngunner, Byteman, Bondon, and at least a half dozen other ships from three top 5 legions. Simultaneously.

Damage cap really needs to take hull strength into consideration as a third formula. For example, if it was 4% of hull strength, it would still take 25 capshots to burn through the hull, plus however many to clear the shields. That's still strong enough to maintain the irritation of fighting a SSB yet it makes it realistically possible to kill one (with difficulty) while they are online. No one should be indestructible.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
Damage cap really needs to take hull strength into consideration as a third formula. For example, if it was 4% of hull strength, it would still take 25 capshots to burn through the hull, plus however many to clear the shields. That's still strong enough to maintain the irritation of fighting a SSB yet it makes it realistically possible to kill one (with difficulty) while they are online. No one should be indestructible.

What would be the point of adding hull? Once you hit that ceiling there is no added benefit. Brackets would become as useless as shipbots. Also realize that yes the SSB have this advantage, but there are a few "base ships" with 80k+ hulls even with the current damage cap it takes 25+ shots at max damage to kill them. SSB only speeds up the end result, that a ship becomes so thick that it takes hundreds of shots to kill them at their cap. You think that we could kill remric or mento while they are online? Mento has 110k hull last I heard. That's a min of 35 hits at 3150 damage, just for the hull.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Littlefluffy wrote:
Darth Flagitious wrote:

What would be the point of adding hull? Once you hit that ceiling there is no added benefit. Brackets would become as useless as shipbots. Also realize that yes the SSB have this advantage, but there are a few "base ships" with 80k+ hulls even with the current damage cap it takes 25+ shots at max damage to kill them. SSB only speeds up the end result, that a ship becomes so thick that it takes hundreds of shots to kill them at their cap. You think that we could kill remric or mento while they are online? Mento has 110k hull last I heard. That's a min of 35 hits at 3150 damage, just for the hull.

Again... As opposed to decks? It's a balancing factor. I'm not saying replace the existing damage caps, this would be a third calculation. This would trump (rank+19)/2, which could actually just be replaced I think, but decks/2 trumps .04*hull. Or hell, take an average of the 2 (or 3) formulas (in some form) and THAT is the damage cap. Then everyone is treated equally. Decks are considered, hull is considered and rank is considered. Are there any other factors that have a legitimate reason to be included?

There's a ceiling for decks too. Once you reach that, no more decks get added so damage cap becomes static. At the same time, ships keep getting MORE hull, MORE shields, MORE defense. You know, the stuff that actually determines how long a ship survives in battle. I honestly don't think Dan fully realized how quickly ships could achieve insane numbers. Much like Matched NPCs, the damage cap for PvP needs to be dynamic. Having what amounts to a static damage cap eventually will finally finish off high rank PvP. Already to disable a ship with EQUAL numbers, you have to repair at least once yourself because of Gemini damage and the 10% HULL lockout. Oh, and Gemini damage is based off hull+shield. There will be a point where it takes multiple self-repairs plus near full energy bars just to disable 1 ship of equal caliber.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next