View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 pvp damadge needs to be looked at 

KJReed wrote:
I don't care how big your machine gun is the chances you are able to nail a mosquito with one is nil.
Whatever kinda tiny guns that mosquito is using, at least its actually hitting the target.

A bit late to the party, but...
I disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcACaW9vwg4

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW

zom wrote:
KJReed wrote:
The point is you can't hit him.
A rock that never misses beats a gun that never hits.

again he didnt even have a rock to through he had nothing. your trying to defend the idea that in a war game att and defense have no value only the size of a ship has value and no where ever has a sammer ship without guns defeated a larger ship with guns.

He had tactical officers, and you can't really fit all them into a tiny ship so what does he do with them? Throw em :lol:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 am

I think this was all ready said but let me say it again. A SSB does not do more damage then normal because its a SSB. If you where to attack someone else with the same attack as that SSB, but your rank and near your deck size, they would in all likely hood deal the same amount of damage as that SSB is doing to you. While you in turn would do more damage to them because of their rank/deck's. No matter what a midget with a 9mm and a normal person with a 9mm will do the same damage to you.

Ship size: Colossal Galaxy Destroyer,
Because just destroying your star wasn't enough.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile WWW

Follyuu wrote:
That segment was worded poorly, it was referring to when the SSB is under attack. In my experiences with SSB they have done an inordinate amount of damage when on the receiving end of an attack as compared to larger ships with comparable attack. I was going to edit it for clarity but Nar already quoted me so I just left it as is lol.

Basically what I was getting at is that if I attacked a small ship he should be harder to hit, and I should be easier to hit. However the damage cap should be just that, a damage CAP, not a % modifier for all return fire. If an SSB only has 300 attack for example, and I attack with my 16k defense, the SSB should only be able to do a pitifully small amount of damage. Course since I don't make a habit of going after people with stats that low I wouldn't know the avg damage they would do in actuality so I can't quote that for you, but I'm sure you get the idea. Yeah they might hit me, but less attack should mean either lower caliber bullets or fewer bullets depending on the analogy you wanna go with. They should have an outgoing damage cap relative to their small attack just as I have an incoming damage cap.

I can clarify if needed, it seems like the points are being lost in translation by trying to keep up all these analogies that have been thrown around.

1. as to your previous post, the damage is NOT evenly distributed in the region, the ship, using its maneuverability(defense) to find the least dense area as respect to its size(i.e. the region where it will recieve the least number of shots)

2. As mentioned, the SSB does NOT deal a "high" damage to you, but rather you deal a "low" damage to him. the comparative result is the same, but it's two very different concepts. Let me ask this, do you receive more damage per attack from a SSB or a ship of similar build as yours? I would think the answer is the latter, which proves that you have a stronger attack than the SSB. So no, the SSB is NOT hitting you harder with its weaker weapons. That's the definitive result, it's a quantitative comparison of damage received ONLY. As for the damage you dealt to a SSB being very low, that's a totally different and unrelated concept to the damage you recieve from attacks, it have no comparative logic in the matter. Your weapons are simply being ineffective because his ship is small, doesn't mean their weapon received any kind of a boost.
Let me put it another way: I can use a rock to pierce a sheet of paper, thus dealing "catastrophic damage" to the paper. I cannot, however, pierce a 10 inch titanium plate with a shotgun, in fact it would barely dent it, dealing minimal damage. This does NOT mean that the shot gun is weaker than a rock. granted, the defense ability of the "armor" is a unrelated concept, but I'm just here to show that "relative degree of damage" does NOT have a direct relation with firepower.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm

yappy wrote:
zom wrote:
KJReed wrote:
The point is you can't hit him.
A rock that never misses beats a gun that never hits.

again he didnt even have a rock to through he had nothing. your trying to defend the idea that in a war game att and defense have no value only the size of a ship has value and no where ever has a sammer ship without guns defeated a larger ship with guns.

He had tactical officers, and you can't really fit all them into a tiny ship so what does he do with them? Throw em :lol:

Well, you have to realize even the smaller SSBs in the hundreds of ranks have hundreds of decks. Their relatively smaller size still makes them harder to hit (and more maneuverable), but there's really no issue with them having a lot of crew. Even the smallest rank 200 SSB is still much larger than a huge number of ships in popular science fiction.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Have posted this before, but its still handy.
This is a list of many different sci-fi ships, and their comparative sizes.

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comparison/

To quote my old post:

The USS Enterprise - D is 42 decks total. Thats a 640 metre long ship.
In galaxy legion, the Enterprise is a scout ship.
A level 500 small ship build will have 1000 decks.
Personally, i have 2049 decks. I am the equivilent of 49 Enterprise D's. Does that make my ship 31k long?
Quite possibly.

Basically, imagine a city built of two thousand floor skyscrapers 30k's in size. There is no question you can fit as much crew in there as you want. And thats just 2000 decks. Ships with 6000 decks are true monsters, looking at a 90k long row of skyscrapers six thousand stories high.

There is a good reason ships that big are easy to hit, and thus take lots of damage.

Also - LOVE the midget with a gun comparison.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm

MXer42 wrote:
you do know that attack comes from tacs as well as cannons? to me it sounds like you are complaining about having tacs and no guns and he still beats you.....quit your whining and play the game

again read the posts i havnt yet whined its called a disagreement or a debate learn to tell the difference.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

mojo311 wrote:
I think this was all ready said but let me say it again. A SSB does not do more damage then normal because its a SSB. If you where to attack someone else with the same attack as that SSB, but your rank and near your deck size, they would in all likely hood deal the same amount of damage as that SSB is doing to you. While you in turn would do more damage to them because of their rank/deck's. No matter what a midget with a 9mm and a normal person with a 9mm will do the same damage to you.

this is the first time ive seen someone put it like this. so let me look at it like this if i faced some one with 3k att no matter if he had 100,1k or 10k decks he would still do the same damage to me when comparing 3k att vrs 5k defense. but in the reverse my 9k att vrs 1k defense does change my damage depending on decks as i will reach someones damage cap sooner on a smaller ship. if what i quoted is true then how do you determine strength of ships just by looking or probing. from what you guys are saying you cant determine untill you first attack them.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Just look at what size their ship is first, then probe them.

Its all you need to work out rough values.

EDIT: Less helpful than i intended, but accurate.

Each size - scout, battleship, goliath, etc, has a specific amount of decks that correspond to it.

Size Class
20 - 49 Scout
50 - 99 Light Frigate
100 - 149 Frigate
150 - 199 Heavy Frigate
200 - 249 Light Cruiser
250 - 299 Cruiser
300 - 349 Heavy Cruiser
350 - 399 Light Battleship
400 - 449 Battleship
450 - 499 Heavy Battleship
500 - 549 Light Dreadnaught
550 - 599 Dreadnaught
600 - 699 Heavy Dreadnaught
700 - 799 Titan
800 - 899 Heavy Titan
900 - 1,049 Massive Titan
1,050 - 1,199 Goliath
1,200 - 1,349 Heavy Goliath
1,350 - 1,499 Massive Goliath
1,500 - 1,649 Leviathan
1,650 - 1,849 Heavy Leviathan
1,850 - 2,049 Massive Leviathan
2,050 - 2,299 Star Destroyer
2,300 - 2,599 Heavy Star Destroyer
2,600 - 2,899 Massive Star Destroyer
2,900 - 3,199 Collossal Star Destroyer
3,200 - 3,599 Galaxy Destroyer
3,600 - 3,999 Heavy Galaxy Destroyer
4,000 - 4,399 Massive Galaxy Destroyer
4,400 + Collossal Galaxy Destroyer

So, you can see their decks, and you can see their ranks. Now just apply the equation
(0.5 x # of ship decks), OR (0.5 x (player rank + 19)), whichever is greater, to give damage cap.

Now use a weapon and defence probe.

With this information, you know everything needed to know about a ships power.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm

zom wrote:
mojo311 wrote:

this is the first time ive seen someone put it like this. so let me look at it like this if i faced some one with 3k att no matter if he had 100,1k or 10k decks he would still do the same damage to me when comparing 3k att vrs 5k defense. but in the reverse my 9k att vrs 1k defense does change my damage depending on decks as i will reach someones damage cap sooner on a smaller ship. if what i quoted is true then how do you determine strength of ships just by looking or probing. from what you guys are saying you cant determine untill you first attack them.

you can't decide ever PERIOD. For all intend and purposes the target could have either 1 hull left from a previous encounter and thus a heck easy kill OR he could have bought 5 million brackets and have 50m hull so it's hard as fook to kill regardless. Yeah, I know the latter is unlikely to happen, but it's a exaggerated example to show that it's impossible to tell the "strength of ships just by looking or probing" or any other means for that matter.
You can only get an estimate on enemy deck via ship class OR full list of modules(most ppl tend to be close to fully using decks) and then probe for estimated damage value. And make a guess based on the hull/shield based on enemy modules but it's still largely guess work because they could have loads of brackets etc used.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:49 pm

zom wrote:
mojo311 wrote:

Yes.

If you were to attack 2 ships with equal stats, the only difference is their deck size. They would both do the same amount of damage to you but you would do more damage to the ship with more decks.

Geez, how hard is this for people to grasp. This is whole reason why people have SSB's.

1,000 defense is more effective on a ship with 100 decks than a ship with 1,000 decks.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Say I had a ship with 10,000 defense (that happens to be a Xecti Fixer, so return fire would be ridiculously hard, over 17,000 defense) and 1,200 deck size, and any other available decks not into defense was inflating hulls as high as they could go. Also, say this ship stacks Tactical Officers and Engineers in a way where they literally can shoot hard and strong for a long, long period of time.

I'm telling you right now, that SSB's guns aren't hitting me hard.

I'll also point out the high hulls won't be a big deal if matched with also high hulls and staggering defense.

Everything has a weakness, his ship runs circles around you, but there's definitely ships that won't need to run and just slam them like a freight train.

I recommend you just respect they have a better ship and be happy there's ships out there you can step on.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

desolira wrote:
Say I had a ship with 10,000 defense (that happens to be a Xecti Fixer, so return fire would be ridiculously hard, over 17,000 defense) and 1,200 deck size, and any other available decks not into defense was inflating hulls as high as they could go. Also, say this ship stacks Tactical Officers and Engineers in a way where they literally can shoot hard and strong for a long, long period of time.

I'll also point out the high hulls won't be a big deal if matched with also high hulls and staggering defense.

Everything has a weakness, his ship runs circles around you, but there's definitely ships that won't need to run and just slam them like a freight train.

I recommend you just respect they have a better ship and be happy there's ships out there you can step on.

Eh? I really understand what your saying.

A SSB could have 1,200 decks. He'd just be rank 1,219.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm

bobdebouwer wrote:
desolira wrote:

Eh? I really understand what your saying.

A SSB could have 1,200 decks. He'd just be rank 1,219.

Yeah, but I was thinking my own rank range which is like 160-400

1,200 isn't small, more of a midsized at my rank range.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

You're all missing the point. If you're gunna SSB, put all your rank points into helmsmen. Sheesh.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:54 pm
Profile WWW

I understand both points here. It is very annoying attacking a good SSB, but they did work hard and were very patient in getting to where they are. And besides that having a SSB has its drawbacks, but PVP is their strong area. If you dont like it, dont attack them.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:06 pm

The problem is that small ships can have the same hull as big ship, tell me where in real lfe haveu seen a small thing and a big thing made of the same stuff have the same hull. Take a truck and a car. THE truck s huge with over 4 times the size as the car, but if u crashed them together, the truck would get damaged, and the small car would be completely destroyed, the reason the truck has more hull, because acording to newton's second law of physics, the force applied to both the car and truck are the same, yet the truck is not completely dead, and the ccar is, this is because truck has more hulll.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 pm

But, equally a truck made out of tinfoil would be crushed by a toy car made of titanium.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

thunderbolta wrote:
But, equally a truck made out of tinfoil would be crushed by a toy car made of titanium.

yeah but his point is they're both made out of the same thing. I think he makes a valid point there. If the toy car was made out of the same thing as the truck and had the same hull, it would lose all maneuverability that you guys are so fond of talking about.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Stop looking for real world examples. This is a SCI-FI game, as in science fiction as in
wikipedia wrote:
Fiction is the form of any narrative or informative work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not factual, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next