View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ship builder program 

I'm new to the forums but have been playing the game for a few months now. I'm currently in college for a degree in programming and was wondering if it would be ok for me to create a ship builder program for this game. It would be a small program, either webbased or installable, that would present a drop down menu for each of the ship module types listing the name, rating, and size of that module. The user would place how many of those modules they want installed with the program returning an error if the quantity is higher than the maximum allowed. After all modules have been selected the user would hit submit and be given the deck size needed and the total of each ship stat. This may make it a bit easier for players to plan upgrades and swap items.

This would be a java program as that is the only language I have learned so far. Understand that I am new to programming and just want to try to get a project going that can benefit someone and possibly be used for my resume if it turns out well. Please let me know if this would be ok for me to start and if anyone would like to help me do this.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Or just make a website that you can add the modules, planets , npcs , ETC. :roll:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:30 pm

slacman69 wrote:
I'm new to the forums but have been playing the game for a few months now. I'm currently in college for a degree in programming and was wondering if it would be ok for me to create a ship builder program for this game. It would be a small program, either webbased or installable, that would present a drop down menu for each of the ship module types listing the name, rating, and size of that module. The user would place how many of those modules they want installed with the program returning an error if the quantity is higher than the maximum allowed. After all modules have been selected the user would hit submit and be given the deck size needed and the total of each ship stat. This may make it a bit easier for players to plan upgrades and swap items.

This would be a java program as that is the only language I have learned so far. Understand that I am new to programming and just want to try to get a project going that can benefit someone and possibly be used for my resume if it turns out well. Please let me know if this would be ok for me to start and if anyone would like to help me do this.

Please do and then go work for Dan. :)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I can't make this program without consent from the developers because I'd be using their game's names and information.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 pm

slacman69 wrote:
I can't make this program without consent from the developers because I'd be using their game's names and information.

try contacting the developer directly, there is a button in the bottom right corner on the gl page. Ask through there dan is pretty good about responding quickly to those.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm really surprised that their is not a lot of programs that benefit and help us players with GL. I've played a lot of online games and all of them had non cheating programs to help the players with that game. This is a simple game compared to others and thus their programs made the game so much easier, but none the less anything would be great

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:33 pm

As long as there is no physical interaction with the actual game, it seems to be ok. TU has a manual input planet database program so we can track our planets including structures, resources, and passive stats. You should be careful however putting something like what you are describing in the public domain, especially if it includes any imagery.

Recommendation: Before you start working on it, contact Dan directly and discuss with him your intentions and he'll let you know what kind of limitations he would impose.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 pm
Profile WWW

Dan has given me the go ahead for the program so I should start working on it sometime this week. Hope to have it done within a month or less but life will determine that. If anyone is familiar with java programming and would like to help contact me and we can get this project up and running.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm

slacman69 wrote:
Dan has given me the go ahead for the program so I should start working on it sometime this week. Hope to have it done within a month or less but life will determine that. If anyone is familiar with java programming and would like to help contact me and we can get this project up and running.

awesome good luck :)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

good luck with your project ! i think the GL community would benefit from something like this.

for myself, i have everything set up in a spreadsheet, and have used it to figure out what i want to keep on for my upcoming scan run.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

I do not agree with that Df and I've seen other games where its illegal to have a program only for a legion/alliance or just a few people. They usually allow it if it is posted to where all can have and the game is on even playing scale

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

LPenguin wrote:
I do not agree with that Df and I've seen other games where its illegal to have a program only for a legion/alliance or just a few people. They usually allow it if it is posted to where all can have and the game is on even playing scale

It's a glorified Excel/Access. Which is itself nothing more than a glorified Mead spiral bound notebook. Either of which anyone can use to the same ends. Having easier access to your planet information doesn't give any advantage other than record keeping. Oh, and when Bunny tried to get us in trouble for having it, we were given the green light by Dan.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

His game and his rules. Just saying that I rather see things shared on a web site such as this one and have everything on a level playing field. This nice fellow would rather share with all unlike others:)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm

LPenguin wrote:
His game and his rules. Just saying that I rather see things shared on a web site such as this one and have everything on a level playing field. This nice fellow would rather share with all unlike others:)

well, he did say it was potentially for his resume, so it is sharing for a higher purpose.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
As long as there is no physical interaction with the actual game, it seems to be ok. TU has a manual input planet database program so we can track our planets including structures, resources, and passive stats.

Why do I not have this?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Littlefluffy wrote:
Darth Flagitious wrote:
As long as there is no physical interaction with the actual game, it seems to be ok. TU has a manual input planet database program so we can track our planets including structures, resources, and passive stats.

Why do I not have this?

:D

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Profile WWW

Ok focus here please. I want to get my ideas across and make sure people like them and can contribute as I'm putting this together.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Littlefluffy wrote:
Darth Flagitious wrote:

Why do I not have this?

Probably because you haven't downloaded it from the TU forum yet... :roll:

@ The OP... Best of luck with your project and please keep us updated with your progress. As a community I'm sure there will be plenty of input to help you out.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am
Profile WWW

Already exists, https://drive.google.com/templates?q=ga ... iew=public

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 am

That link doesn't take me to anything except a google site with advertisement for google drive. I think you have to have authorized access to that site to view it. If this is the case then it is not a public site and my program would be. If the creator of that program would like to help me or make his public for everyone to use then that would be wonderful.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next