View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Years of play medal catch up 

true that exterminus....i mirror whan odragon said as well. Being #219 on the current structure--or at least prismatic wise..i was here from relatively early on. It was a struggle and you had to earn your own way. CTP was hard to come by, no legions, no planet shares, no bases, people could raid your cargo....hard times.

I would imagine this game is bafflingly hard to new players. There is so much knowledge and so many missions, npcs, seasonals, medals , etc. It's like tossing a 5 year old into a high school or college.

I get the concept of wanting a speed me up mechanism, but those of use who have these things don't have as much game play access anymore. Hell if you'd allow everyone at 6+ years to suddenly drop say 1000 ranks for a 1 year trade off..who wouldnt do it? So the prizes at the end of the rainbow are gold merited for those willing to hang in there.

Like rifts, allies, mission chains, etc... there are requirements. Those are there for a reason. Like senator said, plan long term and enjoy. If you don't have access now, plan for when you do. It's actually a super benefit to have all of us hitting those marks and sharing what we know and get. You don't have the beta test you get the most efficient prep time from our knowledge and times taking endeavors.

I repect your argument but have to disagree based on these and other well made points presented.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Exterminus wrote:
Another "privileged old timer" casting his $.02 in here. I have spent a huge amount of time and money getting my game to where it is.

As Darth put it, so eloquently earlier, NO. Just NO.

Next thing you will be calling for rookie pitchers to make the same as seasoned veterans.

You have to pay you dues. Just like everybody else does. No short cuts. That's the way it works.

So funk and diegobene are rookies but soozerama and shroom are grizzled masters? Sorry but this arguement just dont cut it. That you found and pressed join 3 years before them means nothing, nothing. That you've been pitching for years means nothing if a 'rookie' is better than you. Your seniority doesn't make you inherently somehow superior. Seniority tends to determine the better player if no other information is avalible, but it doesn't mean that this is always the case. Your conflating the two in the attempt to justify cutting off this content. Seniority is not some metric of skill or worth.

36500 ctp to be raised and spent to advance a year in the medal is proof of how these 'rookies' are justly able to advance to what you would call the big leagues. If they cant raise it, or in many cases they would feel the costs are higher than the benefits, then they dont advance. They cant pitch well enough. But those that can, they get to pitch in the big leagues.

Stark Tech Inside

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:03 am

juiceman wrote:
true that exterminus....i mirror whan odragon said as well. Being #219 on the current structure--or at least prismatic wise..i was here from relatively early on. It was a struggle and you had to earn your own way. CTP was hard to come by, no legions, no planet shares, no bases, people could raid your cargo....hard times.

I would imagine this game is bafflingly hard to new players. There is so much knowledge and so many missions, npcs, seasonals, medals , etc. It's like tossing a 5 year old into a high school or college.

I get the concept of wanting a speed me up mechanism, but those of use who have these things don't have as much game play access anymore. Hell if you'd allow everyone at 6+ years to suddenly drop say 1000 ranks for a 1 year trade off..who wouldnt do it? So the prizes at the end of the rainbow are gold merited for those willing to hang in there.

Like rifts, allies, mission chains, etc... there are requirements. Those are there for a reason. Like senator said, plan long term and enjoy. If you don't have access now, plan for when you do. It's actually a super benefit to have all of us hitting those marks and sharing what we know and get. You don't have the beta test you get the most efficient prep time from our knowledge and times taking endeavors.

I repect your argument but have to disagree based on these and other well made points presented.

'the prizes at the end of the rainbow are gold merited for those willing to hang in there'
And this is a good example of backwards thinking helping kill this game off. You can run all the way out of content. I've heard a certain 3 year defeatist talk about quitting because hes running out of enjoyable content, should he hang on 4 more years of nothing to prove hes fealty to the great nobles of galaxy legion? Not going to happen. So the playerbase continues to attrition. We have a prevailing mindset from you old timers, almost exclusively those at or closing in on there 7 year medals, of the inherent onworthiness of anybody who joined later. This idea that 'oh, because they didn't join right away they dont deserve to play this. I deserve my extra gold star.' I suggest 'hey, how about if they work REALY REALY HARD, they get this 'gold star' simply so they can draw even with the old timers based on abilities and scan/cloak while continuing to try and compete on aph and strength as normal, under a equal system.' and the response is essentialy dismissive. You cant earn your gold star by playing the game silly, you have to earn it by having been in early, something you had zero control over and can do zero about. This is not a constructive approach to anybody even remotely new. And by remotely I mean even in their 5 year medal.

Lets use a new analogy. Say you joined a company, worked there for a few years, then heard about a promotion position and were ready to take your career forward. You were a dynamic, hard working person with a talent for the job, but the company turns round and says 'we just hire the person whose been here longest who isn't a utter incompetent. Hence we're hiring this low performing janitor because hes been here three decades. Wait your turn.' You want to know what happens? They leave. They leave the company and find work somewhere that they can actually progress rapidly if they have the aptitude. And the company expirences a braindrain and starts to fail.

Oh and tossing a 5 year old into college. Please, give me a break with that. Its more complicated yes, it takes time, it doesn't take 7 years. Unaware newbies are only unaware newbies briefly. You think a player 5 years into the game is somehow a moron because its not been 7? Senators at 5.5 and chief wiki editor, I'd rather have him answer a question on how the game works than randomly pick one of the 7 year medalists. I dont doubt funks knowledge of the game. I dont doubt my knowledge of the game, or diegos. I dont even doubt texas has as good a knowledge as the average 7 year medalist. Knowledge, is at best a curve that flattens off rapidly, so much so that variation means substantial numbers of newer players know substantialy more than substantial numbers of old players.

Quote:

There are requirements for those. They are 1. Ballance. or 2. Profit. Rifts require qses because of profit and require at least rank 50 because of balance. Corruption requires 4k decks to try and improve balance while the sileena chain requires ravyn because of profit. 3 is nothing. its not ballance to restrict based purely on time since joining if your going to have 7 years in direct competition to 3-5 years. Its not profit when theres no gp cost to unlock it, the lack of content helps drive most people away before they get it and the lack of a catch up mechanism like I suggested means people cant, for instance, buy gp to sell for ctp to advance. Its not balance or profit. There is no argument that goes along the lines of '7 years have weaker ships than 3 years, they need aditional power purely restricted on time spent because 3 years are smokin their ships on the bt.' And if you want to chime in with 'well, its ballance because it helps ensure theres stuff for people to do...' no, nuah. The value proposition has been delibrately set such that its expensive. Compare it to say, the corruption chain, the ravyn chains, any thing that eats ctp, more ap storage adding, more ap planet buying. These will be better value propositions untill the player is running dry, you wont see some players going for this until they're getting bored. And I'd rather a player with apathy leading towards the risk of leaving be able to spend vast amounts of resources to access content now, rather than say 'well wait another few years, then you'll have something' because, well, they wont. This is balanced, the year lock is not.

Stark Tech Inside

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 am

ODragon wrote:
Peticks wrote:
that theres no way to catch up

I would vote no just because of you and your spelling/grammar but I actually have something you aren't taking into account, at least for some of us early adopters.

You say that there is no way to catch up. I would disagree to some extent. Of course, in any game, it is hard to catch up with well established players as well as paying players. That's just a given of online games. This is why accounts are sold. Hell, you can buy a base here for CTP pennies on the dollar.

That said, players who start now ARE able to progress multiple times faster than older players were able to.

Time to make myself feel old.

When we started, there wasn't a glut of 15X+ MP/RP planets owned by inactive players, or upgraded for free. There weren't players who could literally give you trillions of credits and thousands of artifacts without batting an eye. There weren't bases giving out free AP just for logging on (and they don't even have to donate a single EM/CTP to said bases). There was no Chuhn or Elios for the first 3 years. Lets not forget badges and medals, many of us had thousands of Kills/Hacks/Raids and hundreds of planet invasions before the first badge came out. Plus, with the medals, there are items that would have helped us more when our ships were younger than they did at our decrepit age.

Hell, there are tons more good planets for the taking. When we started, Mega Colossal could only be created by players (ie, none from inactives just sitting out there) AND they didn't even have a size. (Where it said MC, it was blank).

Finally, Rifts... Some of us oldies have our 3 rifts before reality transfusers even came out so unlike the newer players who can choose not to make their SM planet into a rift, we had to just accept what we got for using it.

Sure, I understand that the time wall frustration. Even as number x20, I wish I was x2 and further along than I am but I'm not and that's just how it is. We older players, to some extent, make the game much easier for newer players.

You are bringing back old memory... That was a whole different game, I would so much like to live that moment again the fist 2 years :)
I am one of those player to old for there rank I had the day requirement for 6 years medal around september 2016 but still to this date I dont have that medal yet, I will probably have rank 1500 whe I will be 7 years old xD
4 years of inactivity hit hard, my ship is build like sh** because back then big ship with high deck were good... so now I'm screwed

But you know what I will be proud when I will have that 7 years medal, in my case not the time but the rank requirement

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 am

ok dude...seems you have your opinion and no flexibility in it.

1) how many people are clammoring for this suggestion of yours?
2) if anyone/everyone could speed rank thru ctp, or whatever..would that make them happy? Seems like the gaming and real life experience is that something harder to get is more cherished
3) I see people all the time, from newer players to old who do dumb stuff...like life, the game is a constant learn and live experience...or maybe you just don't pay enough attention to notice? I know i learn new stuff as time goes on.
4) Your counter point to my 5 yr old into college is super hyperbole of its own right. Do you honestly think a truly new player "curves" into the same knowledge as people who have been around a lot longer? Very naive if you do. IT might also be worth considering that people who have strong ships doesn't make their opinions right anymore than having bigger biceps or a faster car in real life makes you better than someone who doesn't. This game has a lot of me centric thinking. IF "i" am convinced im right, or the people i value say it's this way then ipso facto it MUSt be true.
5) its a game...i don't even waste the energy to ad nausem debate people on here for the most part since its non productive, doesn't change anyone's perspective, and generally leads to a greater amount of ill will and poor feelings all around
6) wouldn't you agree that money spent is basically the same as power creep, much as any other facebook game? IF so then isnt simply spending ctp or GP etc sort of just the same thing. Frankly a few thousand ctp to me isn't worth a year of play. I've dropped hundreds of thousands in ctp on base development, so have others.
7) new players arent' squaring off against 7 yr players...this is frankly assinine.. kind of like saying im squaring off against billionaires when i go out into the job market. Sure they are there are can affect me indrectly, but its not like level 1 newb has to fight hringi or someone similar. They do however have to fight 4 yr players who are lurking in low ranks being deuchers trying to power grab and spank people who dont know better.
8) people dont leave this game at low levels due to lack of not having what higher ranks or longer term players have..they leave cause there's not enough people at their rank and enough level competition. This will only be made worse if you could simpy buy out higher end rewards. Imagine the lowbies with geminis, and hull % buffs, and prismatic planets. Wow, that seems super level and fair for the others at their locality.
9) the work analogy isn't real tight either....in fact in labor negotiated union settings, what you describe is exactly how things are done, and everyone knows it when they join.. that said, life isn't fair (Agree/disagree?)..the best person doesn't always get the job or the promotion. Good people get laid off or fired. I got promoted twice at a company and tripled my salary there in 10 years then trained an offshore team 4x the size of my team to take our jobs. You have to acclimate and move on. Also companies are a lot different than a game. Real life and impact of socio economic strata and work life coalignment have a lot more complexity than whether i get a few more RP's a day so i can ass whip some people in my bt range.
10) what is really your end goal here? IS this really benefitting more than it would hurt? IF people who gain such benefits do so from a temporal condition and then even that is taking away..do you think THEY are more encourage to leave or to stay? So as you claim, if people are leaving on the low end, and this would then make people leave on the high end...who's left? You could rule the personless server..yeehaw...

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 am

juiceman wrote:
ok dude...seems you have your opinion and no flexibility in it.

1) how many people are clammoring for this suggestion of yours?
2) if anyone/everyone could speed rank thru ctp, or whatever..would that make them happy? Seems like the gaming and real life experience is that something harder to get is more cherished
3) I see people all the time, from newer players to old who do dumb stuff...like life, the game is a constant learn and live experience...or maybe you just don't pay enough attention to notice? I know i learn new stuff as time goes on.
4) Your counter point to my 5 yr old into college is super hyperbole of its own right. Do you honestly think a truly new player "curves" into the same knowledge as people who have been around a lot longer? Very naive if you do. IT might also be worth considering that people who have strong ships doesn't make their opinions right anymore than having bigger biceps or a faster car in real life makes you better than someone who doesn't. This game has a lot of me centric thinking. IF "i" am convinced im right, or the people i value say it's this way then ipso facto it MUSt be true.
5) its a game...i don't even waste the energy to ad nausem debate people on here for the most part since its non productive, doesn't change anyone's perspective, and generally leads to a greater amount of ill will and poor feelings all around
6) wouldn't you agree that money spent is basically the same as power creep, much as any other facebook game? IF so then isnt simply spending ctp or GP etc sort of just the same thing. Frankly a few thousand ctp to me isn't worth a year of play. I've dropped hundreds of thousands in ctp on base development, so have others.
7) new players arent' squaring off against 7 yr players...this is frankly assinine.. kind of like saying im squaring off against billionaires when i go out into the job market. Sure they are there are can affect me indrectly, but its not like level 1 newb has to fight hringi or someone similar. They do however have to fight 4 yr players who are lurking in low ranks being deuchers trying to power grab and spank people who dont know better.
8) people dont leave this game at low levels due to lack of not having what higher ranks or longer term players have..they leave cause there's not enough people at their rank and enough level competition. This will only be made worse if you could simpy buy out higher end rewards. Imagine the lowbies with geminis, and hull % buffs, and prismatic planets. Wow, that seems super level and fair for the others at their locality.
9) the work analogy isn't real tight either....in fact in labor negotiated union settings, what you describe is exactly how things are done, and everyone knows it when they join.. that said, life isn't fair (Agree/disagree?)..the best person doesn't always get the job or the promotion. Good people get laid off or fired. I got promoted twice at a company and tripled my salary there in 10 years then trained an offshore team 4x the size of my team to take our jobs. You have to acclimate and move on. Also companies are a lot different than a game. Real life and impact of socio economic strata and work life coalignment have a lot more complexity than whether i get a few more RP's a day so i can ass whip some people in my bt range.
10) what is really your end goal here? IS this really benefitting more than it would hurt? IF people who gain such benefits do so from a temporal condition and then even that is taking away..do you think THEY are more encourage to leave or to stay? So as you claim, if people are leaving on the low end, and this would then make people leave on the high end...who's left? You could rule the personless server..yeehaw...

1) annecdotaly, a lot. On the forum, its currently 4:1 in favor of those who actually aren't at or about to get the 7 year medal and so out of personal interest have a serious reason to oppose anything that may open up their stuff to other players.
2) False equivelence. the ONLY thing im suggesting is that the thing you have absolutely no control over, that bones you over simply for not having chanced upon the game early, be something you can access. Everything else in game, you can earn, work towards or buy. And yes, real life and in gaming, the more difficult something is to get the more cherished, up to a point. For instance, if a game is horrificly ported so the controls are arse and the game runs terribly, people dont cherish 'oooh everythings now difficult to get, imagine how great it will feel when you beat it.' Because at that point, its the game dicking over the player. Players love difficulty, from darksouls to Ryuku world conquest in EU4, difficult achievements are part of gaming. But only when the players agency allows them to work towards and accomplish the prize. The year medals are the participation trophy of gaming. The, have the game running (aka 'play') the game for X hours achievements. meaningless, you didn't acomplish squat. You were removed from the process, the game was quite happy to tick on towards giving you your gold ribbon without you. If I rank to 2200, I accomplished that. But if I then go inactive and come back 2 years later, the medals achieved for joining X years ago mean squat. I was not involved in the process, I just let the game do its thing.

3) Conflicts with your earlier 'ooh the game is so difficult' patronization analogy of dropping a kid in a high school. its complex, but its not something that takes a great deal of time to learn that would in any way lead belief to be that some stuff MUST BE RESTRICTED NO NOOBS ALLOWED ONLY 1337 PLAYRS!

4 I dont think you got it. Googled the graph I mean and heres a picture of one Image X is time spent in the game and Y is knowledge of the game. You start out low but rapidly increase, however as your knowledge increases as time goes on, each unit of time adds less extra knowledge. So a newbie would rapidly learn many things, resources reasearch planets ect. Then they would learn about certain npcs, artifacts, planet builds ect. After a moderate amount of time on the wiki and/or talking to legion leadership they would have a pretty competent knowledge of the game. Its not like, if the game was static, a player in would learn anywhere near a comparable amount in his 7th year as in his 1st year. Infact if hes been in a decent legion and taken the time to check the wiki out he could have learned near all of the game in that first year quite easily. There is no significant knowledge gap between players in good legions who have played for a year and 7 year players.

5) It is a game, and your hoarding of the small amount of content released recently and attempts to dismiss anyone who didn't find the games link right at the start as somehow unworthy of being able to play the games content they play and support with their wallets is petty. Just petty. The default is not to deny people access to significant content simply because they haven't been around for quite as many years as you. Its to lock it off to a certain in game progression, not IRL progression. There shouldn't be content awarded simply for having joined in your early teens and come back when your ready to graduate university. What an absurd choice for a game to make.

6) Credit card warriors are a problem in all Free to play or Fee to pay games. However, they are a evil that is required to continue to have the game running for everyone else. When we joined up we accepted a game where you could purchase your way to power. Spending in game resources however, no not really. Thats exchanging in game power for in game power. Energy being transformed not created or destroyed. Im willing to accept people spending 50+$ on getting the ctp for a year up rather than earning it in game because that keeps the lights on. As for feeling 'a few thousand ctp is not worth a year of play.' First, its 36500 ctp, not a small amount mate. Sure, if your at the level you dump 100s of thousands into a base, its not some unatainable barrier. But Your switching a year of play with a year progress on this one medal. You still have a year of play up on the player, a year of npcing, pvping, basing, collecting artifacts, building planets, scanning and stealing worlds, strengthing your ship ect. By every metric you hold that year above them still. The only change is that you dont get exclusively given an acceleration aid and chunk of content that only you can access simply for clicking earlier. Look at this in reverse. Say, if you joined in the first year of the game, your given a ship mod that means when scanning planets you can sometimes find, idk, mini caches adding a hours worth of production. If you joined later, tough luck. Those who joined later had zilch to do with the fact they only got in later, and those who got in earlier but for the grace of chance had nothing to do with the fact they got in earlier. they simply found the game link at different times. This is exactly that case, and is exactly wrong. The reward for joining in the first year simply changes and becomes more and more powerful every year, with this year being particularly eggrigious.

7) 1stly, yeah, you are. if you play the game at any rate of speed by year 3 you'll be probably around the 1000s. You'll be squaring off against people with years ahead of you. But your not only looking at that, your only thinking of the bt there, a 1 year players planets are prey for 7 year players for instance, and vice versa. But in this case, not only can year 7 players process far more planets per hour because of beastly ap, but now they can also have higher scan than that year 1 player, even if that year 1 player has bought everything and done every lm, mission chain ect in the game. because they now have 900 prebuff scan from their prismatic ally and prismatic drone. Everyone in this game is competing against everyone else.

8) your again confusing 'low levels' with 'low playtime' If level tracked completely perfectly with 6 years being when you excatly hit rank 1500 and had exactly done XYZ for content, and 7 years being when you exactly hit rank 1800 and had exactly done ABC content, then sure, time restricting stuff is fine.... but its not. Again, bringing up the great example of FUNK level 3381 with probably next to everything realisticly done in the game. But hes not even at 4 years. So acting as if level and time played are synonims is a mistake. Look, im not opposed to high LEVEL content. Heck, im glad that there was a new lazuli npc added for you guys and that it was rank 2200+ only isn't something that I have a problem with, a tad of bemusement that its not rank 2000 since thats when the previous lazuli elite timesout so 200 ranks gap between its replacement is weird, because Its fair to restrict content on rank, thats something, like decks, I have control over. I can play my way to that elite and enjoy its content. I may not always agree with the breakpoints suggested, but high rank content is A okay and healthy for a game to have. But this is just not that. Im not suggesting people be able to pay their way towards early geminis ect. Im suggesting people be able to play their way towards the content not wait their way towards parts of the game, especialy when they give major advantages.

To introduce another torutered metaphor. This would be like skyrim turning round and going 'you can slay alduin once you've owned this game for 3 years because this will promote people coming back to the game!' You could complete every quest on multiple charecters, explore every nook and cranny but not be able to do the content... Or you could simply buy it and forget about it in your library for 3 years then come back. Its simply not good game design.

9) We're stearing far off course here but not all jobs are labour unionized first of all, and unions jobs are to negotiate for the benefit of the members. Some unions might go down the route of saying 'seniority beyond all' but you'd end up with that being the union of the unambitious, untalented, uninspiring, low value employees and any company that the union held sway enough to enforce its demands on would be crippled. You even acknowledge such a system is stupid in your response, which is the point. the system is stupid, it shouldn't be the basis for a game that needs people coming back to it because they enjoy it, not because they need food on their tables and cant find a job elsewhere because they aren't suited.

10) My end goal is not to have an arbitary restriction on content. Where simply because you chanced on the game later on you dont get royally railed no matter what you do because, hey, you joined late PEASANT. even if your ap/hour surpasses those who joined early, even if you play more, npc more, build more, get every stat in the game above them, the one stat you cannot change is the day you found the link and started the clock. The lack of agency on what has become too large a issue to ignore should be addressed.

As for, would it benefit more than it costs... Yep, yup, 100%. Adding a recourse for those who joined late to cut down and eventualy overcome the wall of bs 'you joined later' helps every single player who didn't join right away. This group leaves two sub-groups of them. Those that joined later but feel the value proposition at that point in time isn't worthwhile, they may still have more pressing content, be lower rank, believe the benefits are outweighed by the benefits of the ctp ect. and those who believe it is worthwhile at that point in time, in which case they can start work towards unlocking the content simply gifted to old timers. It acts as sort of the spare length on the end of a runway. When they've completed much of the rest of the game to the point their up for spending so much ctp on this one endevor, they can still do that while dan continues to try and slow the plane, add new content to keep them interested. Its the give as it were. As these two groups represent most of the playerbase and group 1 is impacted neutrally while group 2 is impacted positively, and more people move to group 1 over time if not enough new content to divert their resources to is added, this is a large net positive.

As for the old timer players who are allready rank 1800. It hurts them, but only very marginaly. They are hurt by the loss of the exclusive rights to the power added by their X year rewards, which means relatively the playingfield has become more even. However this is in part offset by the fact the increased demand for ctp means, given they dont have to spend tens of thousands to unlock their rewards, they now have a more valuable resource in that sense they can use to grow. This is coupled by the fact that when lots of ctp is needed, some people will buy gp to help fund their need. This keeps the game running, meaning dan benefits, as well as every single player in the game by increased fiscal health.

To put it very simply. People are, no matter how you phrase it, facing running out of content at lower years played and resulting in them quitting, and are frustrated at the unfair nature of them being railed HARD by the fact they got unlucky with only finding the game later on but having no way to catch up no matter what they do. Nobody will quit because more people can access the 7 year medals stat and ability benefits. Or, if they do, their the kind of bitter people who would rather nobody enjoy something if they cant enjoy it alone. That nobody but the emporer wear purple because they are not worthy, not because they haven't fufilled the non arbitary 'emperor rule' of being able to afford the dye.

Stark Tech Inside

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 am

blabla wrote:
ODragon wrote:
Peticks wrote:
that theres no way to catch up

I would vote no just because of you and your spelling/grammar but I actually have something you aren't taking into account, at least for some of us early adopters.

You say that there is no way to catch up. I would disagree to some extent. Of course, in any game, it is hard to catch up with well established players as well as paying players. That's just a given of online games. This is why accounts are sold. Hell, you can buy a base here for CTP pennies on the dollar.

That said, players who start now ARE able to progress multiple times faster than older players were able to.

Time to make myself feel old.

When we started, there wasn't a glut of 15X+ MP/RP planets owned by inactive players, or upgraded for free. There weren't players who could literally give you trillions of credits and thousands of artifacts without batting an eye. There weren't bases giving out free AP just for logging on (and they don't even have to donate a single EM/CTP to said bases). There was no Chuhn or Elios for the first 3 years. Lets not forget badges and medals, many of us had thousands of Kills/Hacks/Raids and hundreds of planet invasions before the first badge came out. Plus, with the medals, there are items that would have helped us more when our ships were younger than they did at our decrepit age.

Hell, there are tons more good planets for the taking. When we started, Mega Colossal could only be created by players (ie, none from inactives just sitting out there) AND they didn't even have a size. (Where it said MC, it was blank).

Finally, Rifts... Some of us oldies have our 3 rifts before reality transfusers even came out so unlike the newer players who can choose not to make their SM planet into a rift, we had to just accept what we got for using it.

Sure, I understand that the time wall frustration. Even as number x20, I wish I was x2 and further along than I am but I'm not and that's just how it is. We older players, to some extent, make the game much easier for newer players.

You are bringing back old memory... That was a whole different game, I would so much like to live that moment again the fist 2 years :)
I am one of those player to old for there rank I had the day requirement for 6 years medal around september 2016 but still to this date I dont have that medal yet, I will probably have rank 1500 whe I will be 7 years old xD
4 years of inactivity hit hard, my ship is build like sh** because back then big ship with high deck were good... so now I'm screwed

But you know what I will be proud when I will have that 7 years medal, in my case not the time but the rank requirement

grats on your good fortune to have come across the game early. Wonder what everyone elses opinion is on you being able to get these medals even though you dind't play for a whole 4 years since they seem to have the feeling that somehow, joining early = privaledges.

Seriously though, acomplishing the rank requirement is a legitimate achievement here, so actual congratulations when you do. Will have been your efforts that got you there. The exclusive joined 'x days ago' part of the requirement, I think we can both say is bunkum based on pure chance. completely stupid. There should be a at least some way for someone who joined later to catch up on it. I mean heck, I've played the game more than you have with my 5 years, but I cant get my 6 or 7 year medals even when I fill the achievements while you can with your 3 years of play haha :P

Stark Tech Inside

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:11 am

Peticks wrote:
A new player can grow faster than a player from 7 years ago when they started out. But a 7 year player grows faster than a new player in a year. What you seem to be suggesting is when a player joins, they should face the 2010 game but be competing, having planets taken by, bases killed by ect 2017 players who joined in 2010.

no, that not what I'm saying - you can't role back time

but if you look at it AP wice, new player will get to the same point as a 7 year player in only 4 to 5 years....
simply becourse the game gives you more and more options to increase your AP prodction with each new option Dan adds

Peticks wrote:
In 2017 a new player will grow slower than a 7 year player but will have to face off against 7 year players.

not corect, a rank 100 player will grow slower then a rank 2000 player, and most 7 year players are rank 1000+
how farst you can grow isnt about how long you have played, but all about rank and the options higher ranks give you

Peticks wrote:
Yes, your first year was worse than their first year, but your 7th year is better than their first year. Its not like they're whittling away your advantage, your advantage is growing, or if it isn't then thats your fault because your doing something wrong or are up against a heavy spender and player so ofc they should perform comparatively better than if they didn't.

that is presisly what is slowly happeningning
if you start now, in 7 years your ship will be a lot stronger then my 7 years ship Is now.

I dont have any problems with that as it gives new players a way to get into the game.

Peticks wrote:
If I grow by 100k attack in a year from my 200k ap/h and my ap grows by 30k from t+g and 130k from ASQ, but they grow by 10k attack from their 20k ap/h and their ap grows by 30K from t+g and 13k from ASQ, Im getting further away from them, more powerful. Doesn't matter if they are only 1 year into the game and at 1 year in I only grew by 3000, Im getting stronger relative to them. Everything you've outlined as why newbies somehow are op is falling into the idea that what matters is how they progress in their first year, their second year. rather than how they progress relative to their peer ships, who have played for 7 years. Infact, the truth is the better Q, the quality of planets, becomes, the better old timer players grow relative to their newer competetors. If Q = 0, all that is added is T + G, so a new player and old player both actively working to grow 30k through the same effort and spending means the growth is equal. While if Q becomes so large as to render T+G relatively worthless, then growth for both is AsQ, assuming equal scanning (which now old timers have even greater but lets pretend their fair), the relative growth is simply (old timer ap)/(newbie ap) . so as q increases the relative growth between two equaly working players grows towards the old timer. The younger player may grow faster than we Q was smaller, but they grow relatively slower to old players. Of course this isn't the full story, that planet colonization costs come with a power while credits per day do not puts a eventual damper on ap growth. But the net effect is not enough to make a high aph player grow less than a low rank aph.

it doesnt matter how mutch stronger your ship gets compaired to theires becourse they are rank 100 to 500 and you are rank 1500+ so the only direct interaction you have with them is if/when you steal theire planets.

that only becomes an isue if/when they become the same rank as you
and that only happens becourse players are so afraid going beoynd rank 2200+, that they stop ranking

Peticks wrote:
As for your continued insistance on xp. You support a catch up mechanism based on a cost for newer players, you just think it should be xp rather than ctp. In otherwords you think the ideas good but want a different cost, aka not a flagious style 'But I want to feel special and have this power because dang kids.'

Personaly I think its the wrong cost. the medals allready have rank requirements. to get your 7 year medal you need to get rank 1800. If you hit 2200 before you get your 7 year medal the suggested cost is zero. because XP doesn't matter at that point. so 10 clicks each giving 5k xp is simply 10 clicks. While no matter what rank you are ctp holds its same tangible value. Effectively the cost to adding a day is fairly large for those between 1800 and 2200, and zero for those over rank 2200 under xp. It wouldn't cost 2200 rankers anything. under ctp its 100 ctp, 36500 per year, over 50$ worth of gp artifacts each year, for everyone. The concern about slow rankers is adressed in the allready designed rank restrictions imo.

no, I dont think it a good idear,
but if you want to do it the reason I insist on exp's is becourse the real problem here isnt players that actualy play the game and are rank 2000+ after 7 years

as I see it one of the main reason new players quit are usealy the rank 200 to 800 ships, that have been doing nothing but sitting and colection AP's for the last 5+ years and are imposible to beat in PvP for new players

a exp cost would make them out rank those ships and would also solve another problem,
beeing that theire only are 46, rank 2400+ ships left in the game....

if you at the same time also give us high rank versions of the NPC's you lose at rank 1000+ and remove the rank 2200 restriction on the TO. carrier
this might give more players an incentridge to actualy play the game and gain ranks
and that might bring some life back to the game at rank 2200+

where a say, 3 years * 365 days/year * 100 CTP/day = 109K CTP's cost to catch up 3 years
will only make it harder for the players to actualy pay for the prismatic planet upgrades

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:17 am

DarkMar wrote:
Peticks wrote:
A new player can grow faster than a player from 7 years ago when they started out. But a 7 year player grows faster than a new player in a year. What you seem to be suggesting is when a player joins, they should face the 2010 game but be competing, having planets taken by, bases killed by ect 2017 players who joined in 2010.

no, that not what I'm saying - you can't role back time

but if you look at it AP wice, new player will get to the same point as a 7 year player in only 4 to 5 years....
simply becourse the game gives you more and more options to increase your AP prodction with each new option Dan adds

Correct. In 5 years players will be where you were at 7 years. But you will be where 12 years is now. So your differential will remain insanely high. Your still be a vast amount more powerful than them for the fact you were here 7 years before them.
DarkMar wrote:
Peticks wrote:
In 2017 a new player will grow slower than a 7 year player but will have to face off against 7 year players.

not corect, a rank 100 player will grow slower then a rank 2000 player, and most 7 year players are rank 1000+
how farst you can grow isnt about how long you have played, but all about rank and the options higher ranks give you

I stauchly disagree here but maybe I should have added the adendum 'if they actively play the same amount.' The formula later proves this point as T + G is equal but the 7 year player has a much higher aph so growth from that is far higher. How fast you grow is incredibly about how long you have played. How long you have played is the major factor in determining your aph up to that point. Year one it was just T + G, year 2 it was T + G + ASQ and so on. Hence you enter year 7 with a far higher aph than someone who has played for say only 3 years, again, this assumes both players have PLAYED the same amount, if the 3 year player has played far more than the 7 year player that year frankly if the 3 year player did end up beating the ap growth the 7 year player only has themselves to blame. Rank is not the only defining factor, rank helps increase the value of T, up to 2200 lets say, because it increases the value each hour of npcing for insance. But APH is at the very least a hugely significant factor, if not the most significant factor, and thats based, significantly off of time spent playing up to that point.

DarkMar wrote:
Peticks wrote:
Yes, your first year was worse than their first year, but your 7th year is better than their first year. Its not like they're whittling away your advantage, your advantage is growing, or if it isn't then thats your fault because your doing something wrong or are up against a heavy spender and player so ofc they should perform comparatively better than if they didn't.

that is presisly what is slowly happeningning
if you start now, in 7 years your ship will be a lot stronger then my 7 years ship Is now.

I dont have any problems with that as it gives new players a way to get into the game.

Again, their ship will be better than your 7 year ship, but you will have a 12 year ship. In terms of absolute advantage APH you - APH them, you will extend this. In terms of proportional, its likely it shirks slightly, but when your baseline is a completely new player its always going to do that when they put in T+G comparable to yours.
This in no way justifies throwing crutches to old players for being old.

DarkMar wrote:
Peticks wrote:
If I grow by 100k attack in a year from my 200k ap/h and my ap grows by 30k from t+g and 130k from ASQ, but they grow by 10k attack from their 20k ap/h and their ap grows by 30K from t+g and 13k from ASQ, Im getting further away from them, more powerful. Doesn't matter if they are only 1 year into the game and at 1 year in I only grew by 3000, Im getting stronger relative to them. Everything you've outlined as why newbies somehow are op is falling into the idea that what matters is how they progress in their first year, their second year. rather than how they progress relative to their peer ships, who have played for 7 years. Infact, the truth is the better Q, the quality of planets, becomes, the better old timer players grow relative to their newer competetors. If Q = 0, all that is added is T + G, so a new player and old player both actively working to grow 30k through the same effort and spending means the growth is equal. While if Q becomes so large as to render T+G relatively worthless, then growth for both is AsQ, assuming equal scanning (which now old timers have even greater but lets pretend their fair), the relative growth is simply (old timer ap)/(newbie ap) . so as q increases the relative growth between two equaly working players grows towards the old timer. The younger player may grow faster than we Q was smaller, but they grow relatively slower to old players. Of course this isn't the full story, that planet colonization costs come with a power while credits per day do not puts a eventual damper on ap growth. But the net effect is not enough to make a high aph player grow less than a low rank aph.

it doesnt matter how mutch stronger your ship gets compaired to theires becourse they are rank 100 to 500 and you are rank 1500+ so the only direct interaction you have with them is if/when you steal theire planets.

that only becomes an isue if/when they become the same rank as you
and that only happens becourse players are so afraid going beoynd rank 2200+, that they stop ranking

I disagree again. Your assuming new = low rank/slow rank. Many new players rank up fairly quickly, and because Xp per rank increases, and the rank differential requirement to be bellow the bt threshold increases, you see a fair number of far younger players on the bt. But in terms of planets, frankly this is a more problematic issue for most players than getting killed. Because getting killed is a sad face sticker on your ships disable count. losing a planet is losing progress on your aph machine.

DarkMar wrote:
Peticks wrote:
As for your continued insistance on xp. You support a catch up mechanism based on a cost for newer players, you just think it should be xp rather than ctp. In otherwords you think the ideas good but want a different cost, aka not a flagious style 'But I want to feel special and have this power because dang kids.'

Personaly I think its the wrong cost. the medals allready have rank requirements. to get your 7 year medal you need to get rank 1800. If you hit 2200 before you get your 7 year medal the suggested cost is zero. because XP doesn't matter at that point. so 10 clicks each giving 5k xp is simply 10 clicks. While no matter what rank you are ctp holds its same tangible value. Effectively the cost to adding a day is fairly large for those between 1800 and 2200, and zero for those over rank 2200 under xp. It wouldn't cost 2200 rankers anything. under ctp its 100 ctp, 36500 per year, over 50$ worth of gp artifacts each year, for everyone. The concern about slow rankers is adressed in the allready designed rank restrictions imo.

no, I dont think it a good idear,
but if you want to do it the reason I insist on exp's is becourse the real problem here isnt players that actualy play the game and are rank 2000+ after 7 years

as I see it one of the main reason new players quit are usealy the rank 200 to 800 ships, that have been doing nothing but sitting and colection AP's for the last 5+ years and are imposible to beat in PvP for new players

a exp cost would make them out rank those ships and would also solve another problem,
beeing that theire only are 46, rank 2400+ ships left in the game....

if you at the same time also give us high rank versions of the NPC's you lose at rank 1000+ and remove the rank 2200 restriction on the TO. carrier
this might give more players an incentridge to actualy play the game and gain ranks
and that might bring some life back to the game at rank 2200+

where a say, 3 years * 365 days/year * 100 CTP/day = 109K CTP's cost to catch up 3 years
will only make it harder for the players to actualy pay for the prismatic planet upgrades

Think we have to agree to disagree. You have rank 200 - 800 ships who've collected for over 5 years? their not going to rank up to advance towards the 7 year medal. They dont even care about collecting the 5 year medal, through meaningful ship growth activities, which they have allready unlocked. hence, the rank restrictions are working out well there in my opinion. Your also placing far too high a cost on xp. when you hit rank 2200, it doesn't matter. The cost is essentialy zero, as I have said. Ranking up isn't realy Losing anything of meaning anymore. Hence ctp is a better cost as it costs for everyone.

As for the comment about ctp scarcity. Yes, thats true, if ctp rises in value then buying ctp becomes more expensive. But selling ctp also becomes more profitable, and the prismatic is considered not a particularly good ctp investment already by most people who feel somewhere around the 30-50k mark (potentialy 80k if they get porrowin) is their stopping point. CTP isn't going to be debased any time soon so that suddenly people will consider the insane 100ks worth of ctp for a couple thousand more ap/hr on the prismatic a worthy choice. If the status quo remains, ctp will at the very least hold its current relative value, and those past the prismatic upgrade worthwhile mark will be using their ctp elsewhere allready, and if ctp apriciates then the ctp they gain buys them more. I have no great moral qualm to using something like em though if the ctp concerns are somehow whats upsetting everyone somemuch, the choice of ctp is because its the go too item for a store and measurement of value while em is a far more volitile currency (look at how fast it seemed to go from 150:1 to 250:1) which is only realy used to buy things by valuing the planet or artifact in ctp, then converting the ctp cost into an em cost using something roughly at the market rate.

As for more high rank elites and the removal of the troop carrier cap. I fully agree with both of these things being added, were it up to me I'd have had dan implement them the moment someone hit rank 2200. But I dont think we can predicate one good idea being added by requiring another good idea to be added, because at the end of the day dan clearly doesn't seem to want to remove the troop carrier cap (even spending the time to create the dark mass carrier) and is slow to add new high rank elites. Its much harder to get a big good idea through like lots of new high rank elites and this (I firmly believe that the daily lm style tasks Idea I put forward would be a huge boost to the game, but its something that would take a fairly large amount of work compared to something small like this that would just require a copy paste of a daily mission template, when completed adds to variable X. Have the grey out be Days played + X = 7 years, and the medals become Days played + X instead of days played.

Stark Tech Inside

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 am

I have to say this has been the most enjoyable discussion I've read here in a long time. It reminds me of my parents telling me, "We've EARNED our free government health care and social security, you kids have no idea what it was like in our day. The main problem with the world is that there are too many damn lazy poor people collecting free health care and government handouts. They need to get off their asses and get jobs so they can pay their fair share of social security and medicare taxes."

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
I have to say this has been the most enjoyable discussion I've read here in a long time. It reminds me of my parents telling me, "We've EARNED our free government health care and social security, you kids have no idea what it was like in our day. The main problem with the world is that there are too many damn lazy poor people collecting free health care and government handouts. They need to get off their asses and get jobs so they can pay their fair share of social security and medicare taxes."

Um, Doris, true Social Security actually IS paid for by your own "taxes." At least it's supposed to be. Just sayin.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 am
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
Um, Doris, true Social Security actually IS paid for by your own "taxes." At least it's supposed to be. Just sayin.

Technically, it's paid for by younger people's taxes...although ideally you were once one of hte younger people covering the older folks.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Darth Flagitious wrote:
Bloodied Unbowed wrote:

What they get doesn't depend on what they may or may not have paid. Bottom line is that it's an entitlement for a bunch of people who mostly think entitlements are evil but somehow THEIR entitlements are the exception. My mother is a staunch Republican who actually told me that government health care would be a catastrophe because some government bureaucrat would then get to decide whether it was worth paying for cancer care for a 90 year old and they would probably just let them die to save money. I tried to explain that government bureaucrats have been making those decisions since Medicare started in 1965 and it hasn't happened yet but she still believes Death Panels are real. Listening to Peticks try to use logic to argue his case reminded me a lot of this discussion with my mother.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm

and so my respect for boris increased again..tru dat

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:07 am

Let's take a real poll. How many veterans would stop buying GP and quit GL if Dan implemented this trash idea? I will be the first to say I would.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Kevin9809 wrote:
Let's take a real poll. How many veterans would stop buying GP and quit GL if Dan implemented this trash idea? I will be the first to say I would.

Dont be melodramatic. If your entire gl experience is predicated purely on the fact that you managed to find the link to this game before the majority of the player base is, as in, nothing you personaly did or achieved or worked for, then I doubt your gp purchasing is particularly high.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 am

Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:

Dont be melodramatic. If your entire gl experience is predicated purely on the fact that you managed to find the link to this game before the majority of the player base is, as in, nothing you personaly did or achieved or worked for, then I doubt your gp purchasing is particularly high.

Melodramatic? I'm being dead serious. I would stop buying GP and quit this game if this was ever implemented. Why should new players be allowed to catch up on rewards designed for loyal, long-term players? No argument you have posted has justified that. And lastly, you have no idea how much GP I buy.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:

Melodramatic? I'm being dead serious. I would stop buying GP and quit this game if this was ever implemented. Why should new players be allowed to catch up on rewards designed for loyal, long-term players? No argument you have posted has justified that. And lastly, you have no idea how much GP I buy.

Because you did absolutely nothing to recieve them except find the link to galaxy legion earlier than they did? Oooh well done, you managed to get lucky and find the game link back when it was starting out, you should recieve exclusive powerful rewards that nobody can ever catch up to you on because you'll always be X years rewards ahead. You achieved nothing, tying your entire gl experience to the fact that by pure chance you joined early and got the clock ticking is absurd, given you did absolutely nothing to achieve it.

This fact either shows that you have very little attachment to gl if your entire reason for playing is the rewards you get once a year for hey, well done for being around, which is incredibly sad... Or that these rewards are quite blatantly becoming too powerful that its large enough not to be utterly sad. Either way, it makes the case for a catch up mechanism.

But since your speculating, I'll speculate that if you DO quit buying gp, the gp spent by players looking to buy ctp to advance this mission will more than outweigh you.

Stark Tech Inside

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 am

Wah

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Wah.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next