View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Years of play medal catch up 

With the power creep of each years loyalty medal to the point we are now, with a 7 year wait from the start to getting the prismatic ally. And with the bonus's becoming more and more powerful each year, I think its time a catch up mechanism be suggested. As much as rewarding long time players is right its got to the point that unless you got in early, your facing the lack of key items. 3 years for solinya to get 2% more aph. 7 years for the prismatic ally, the prismatic market, between them almost 900 scan for your ship, with further benefits to be discovered.

Hence, I suggest a catch up mechanism. My preference would be a daily mission such as

Code:
Prismatic advance
(unlocks upon rank 500)
'Dialog about how time is short and you must advance to destiny ect'

10 rounds per completion. 10 ctp per round + 1000 energy per round
10 xp per round, Upon completion: Advances your years played medals by 1 day

This mission greys out when you reach the 7 year medal (potential to be adjusted in future)

In essence, this mission would allow advancement of 2 days per 20 hours reliably (kriel) with potential for 3 on rare occasions.

The upside is that players who started late can slowly catch up, however players who started early still have a large advantage as every day of catch up costs 100 ctp.

The truth of the matter is this. Loyalty rewards are good, but its become a trap. The first year award had to be beaten by the second year award. The second had to be beaten by the third. And were now at a point where a signifacant portion of the content added this year has been the 7 year medal, content that not only the vast majority of people cannot access, but which there are a significant portion who will have no ability to access for years. Allowing players who started later to access this content, albeit at a cost to their resources to speed towards it, is the sensible move between balancing rewarding long term players and not punishing those who, while loyal players, didn't come across the game until later.

Stark Tech Inside

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:28 am

Having just gotten Solynia a week or two ago, and Porowyn being 4 years away, I'd be willing to spend a few hundred CTP a day to speed things along a little. I'd like to be able to do the new missions but they're locked in time, and I think that the trade-offs presented seem relatively fair compared to the folks who've been playing the game a long time (or at least created an account early and then started playing again.)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:41 pm

i agree with toast...i hit the 7 year here in right at a month...its a longevity thing..there truly isnt a ton of purely longevity stuff...i mean sure, for NEW players...but how many of those are there? like real life, longer you are at a job, longer you invest in something etc..bigger the return...no mean intentions, but dan intentionally wanted this a bonus for us old timers...let us have this one --wink

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 am

juiceman wrote:
i agree with toast...i hit the 7 year here in right at a month...its a longevity thing..there truly isnt a ton of purely longevity stuff...i mean sure, for NEW players...but how many of those are there? like real life, longer you are at a job, longer you invest in something etc..bigger the return...no mean intentions, but dan intentionally wanted this a bonus for us old timers...let us have this one --wink

Think ya misread his post else your agreeing with him agreeing with my suggestion of a catch up mechanism and the way I set out for catch up. I intentionaly suggested a high cost (100 ctp per day) because I know that the timelocked system always gets defenders in those who got in early and dont realy want to give up the exclusive access to content, in this case pretty potent content at that.

Lets put it this way. Developed content is limited. This year, the 7 year medal has been a large amount of the developed content released. And thats all peachy for those who clicked the link to get their timed medals running early, but for everyone else, its 2017 and the content being released to you lucky folks they have no hope of accessing for years. texas is 4 years behind you, and a sadly large proportion of this years dev content he cant enjoy till 2021, at which point you'd be on your 11 year medal, and content would still being released that he couldn't access for another 4 years. Its not a smart system. Were these medals purely cosmetics, there there have an exclusive show off title or ship to show you've been around a while, it wouldn't be any issue. The 1 year medal was a perfectly good idea. But then, as I say, power creep has come in and its become more and more powerful every year to the point of absurdity of locking it behind time alone.

Under my suggested value of 100 ctp and 10k energy per day, it would cost texas 146k ctp. 50:1 ctp:gp is roughly the current market rate for buying things like warehouses off a gp trader., so every day of catch up is equivelent to 2 gp worth of stuff you could buy. Aka this is 2920 gp or over 250$ worth of in game artifacts to catch up 4 single medals and access the 'bonus for old timers.' I dont see how you can honestly defend that both
1. the yearly medals aren't so insanely overpowered as to be totaly unfair in bonus's to newer players
2. the catch up rate to access these fair loyalty bonus's I proposed isn't fair on those who did join early as the joining early is being too undervalued.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:38 am

there is plenty of stuff for new players to keep busy with ... you want peeps to pay a huge amount of ctp to unlock content that ... requires a huge amount of ctp ??

i don't like the 4k deck restricted content .. but i don't see anyone suggesting to bypass that restriction.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 am
Profile WWW

No.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
there is plenty of stuff for new players to keep busy with ... you want peeps to pay a huge amount of ctp to unlock content that ... requires a huge amount of ctp ??

i don't like the 4k deck restricted content .. but i don't see anyone suggesting to bypass that restriction.

except people can DO something about that to access it. this is not saying 'oh, well, clearly the option to do this to unlock this content is bad'

its saying that given 0, 0 ability to do anything to access the content added to the game because its arbitarily locked behind a time wall. I wasn't please about the 4k deck wall (mainly because it was added in a paid for chain rather than a free one) but I could DO something to unlock it. Adding 1500 deck bots. Here, nobody can do jack to access it.

If someone joins today they wouldnt be able to access this content till 2024. and there would be zero they could do about that. Not only would everyone be hideously ahead of them in ap, accumulated ap in ship stats ect but the game itself is designed to be actively hostile to them by awarding further bonus's, just for being around, to those ships. This 7 year medal adds 900 prebuff scan and 1300 prebuff cloak to the 7 year ships alone, and we dont even know what volume 3 of the ally unlocks.

The long and the short of it is this.

1. If 100 ctp for a days wait worth of progress on a simple set of medals is considered too low then clearly the medals have become far, far too powerful and the ability to catch up must be added to give newer players, who often played far more than these 7 year players who just found the link to open the game and set their timers running.
2. If 100 ctp per days wait of progress is considered higher than the medals rewards are worth, then opposition to adding the choice to speed up getting towards it at that cost is illogical, as the arguement you have is that its a step on the right road but its still too high compared to the reward.

If someone whose opposed wants to explain the actual, logical opposition to this please do. Because all I can imagine is your a bunch of players in camp 1 who want to defend their massively valuable 'old timer' handout.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:19 pm

You get a 7 year reward for playing 7 years. Not sure what better logic you need. :roll:

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

I'm with Peticks ... in fact I brought up a similar idea in my legion comm a few days ago.

I'm just about to get my 5-year medal, which means there will always be two years of content I cannot get, until Dan stops releasing new content. I can rank a million times, make my ship whatever size, do whatever I need to do to get anything else in the game, but for the anniversary stuff it's just a never-ending wait.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:52 pm

I got my 5 year award 2 months ago and yeah it sucks waiting, but fair is fair. Those who are at 7 years had to wait just as we do. They may not have known what was coming but that really doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned. Sorry but -1

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

-1 Bad idear

one of the problem with this game, is players sitting at low rank doing nothing but colection AP
this will only give them an opotunity to get the year rewards as well without ranking or playing the game

if you want to put a fair price on it, it not 100 CTP's pr day, but 50.000 exp's pr day instead
atleast that way, if they want to catch up, they will also need to gain ranks.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Darth Flagitious wrote:
You get a 7 year reward for playing 7 years. Not sure what better logic you need. :roll:

You get your 7 year medal for having joined 7 years ago and reached a certain rank. If it was a medal and a title that would be all well and good, but the bonus's are so powerful that your not willing to say that 100 ctp per days progress is enough compared to the bonus, hence their overpowered for a just 'you get 7 year medal for playing 7 years'

Pitch Ninja wrote:
I got my 5 year award 2 months ago and yeah it sucks waiting, but fair is fair. Those who are at 7 years had to wait just as we do. They may not have known what was coming but that really doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned. Sorry but -1

They did have to wait. But they didnt have to wait with other players having a huge scan and cloak bonus above them, with potential greater powerful stuff to come. Plus, again, if a single days waiting progress towards the medal is worth more than 100 ctp and 10k energy, frankly, the medals are hideously unballanced so that anyone who joined late faces a further uphill struggle.
DarkMar wrote:
-1 Bad idear

one of the problem with this game, is players sitting at low rank doing nothing but colection AP
this will only give them an opotunity to get the year rewards as well without ranking or playing the game

if you want to put a fair price on it, it not 100 CTP's pr day, but 50.000 exp's pr day instead
atleast that way, if they want to catch up, they will also need to gain ranks.

the medals already have a rank restriction which wouldn't be bypassed. To get the 6 year medal you would still need to meet its rank 1500 requirement. to get the 7 year its rank requirement ect. So its already got a requirement not to simply collect if you want the medals. I chose ctp because its a far more tangible expense than xp, which is next to completely painless to anyone over 2200, hence something I can see more people accepting.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:27 pm

hotdogbaines wrote:
I'm with Peticks ... in fact I brought up a similar idea in my legion comm a few days ago.

I'm just about to get my 5-year medal, which means there will always be two years of content I cannot get, until Dan stops releasing new content. I can rank a million times, make my ship whatever size, do whatever I need to do to get anything else in the game, but for the anniversary stuff it's just a never-ending wait.

Exactly the issue here. From people i've chatted with on this also it seems a lot like if your coming up to your 7 year medal you want to protect its exclusivity, wheras if you joined later on you see large bonus's and significant portions of content locked away behind what in almost any other game would just be a pat on the back have a small chunk of currency or some cosmetics for your loyalty reward.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:33 pm

How about this then as a compromise for those insistent on years played being a sole factor to be heralded.

A new set of medals (worth 0 medal points) are created. This years of service set has no rank restrictions, and uses purely your days played.
year 1: the elder
year 2: ship design
Year 3: The Dedicated
Year 4: Another ship design
Year 5: The venerable
Year 6: Another ship design
Year 7: The Exalted
Year 8 another ship design...

ect, ect.

These are all cosmetic and a small amount of currency to recognize how long its been since you joined, medals that there will be zero way to advance.

The old set of medals, call them the content medals, (starting from year 2 onwards) now use the forumla: days played + Advance compleions. (with the rank restriction)

This way the medal point earning, powerful rewarding medals can be caught up with by newer players so they can get the bonus's, albiet at a large cost of ctp.

This both recognises players who joined early cosmetically, so they are getting the pat on the back as it were for sticking around, and tangibly, by them not having to pay huge sums of ctp to catch up on the content medals so that theres not this absurd system where no matter what a new player does they cant access this content, including 900 scan and 1300 cloak with further bonus's to go, until 2024.

Stark Tech Inside

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:43 pm

senatorhung wrote:
there is plenty of stuff for new players to keep busy with ...

Actually, not really. There would be if Dan released more content more regularly, but given the current development cycle, there isn't, especially if any new content going forward is for the anniversary medals. Having chosen to go over 4000 decks, I have one mission to finish my last chain, plus 2 other non-repeatable missions (since I probably won't get my last rift at this point, and now that XTS-9 became limited recently) and I'm a relatively new player at 3 years. If it seems like there won't be any new chains for 4 years plus each year after that I'm a lot less likely to continue playing and buying GP.

My support for this proposal was because it did seem relatively well balanced and fair; it's still a lot of work to speed things up, it does cost a fair amount, and it doesn't speed things up that much, but does give a bit more of a light at the end of the tunnel. It'd also only be available for those that are about such things and would by no means be required so folks could still go at the normal rate.

With the rate of attrition that seems prevalent in the game, anything that encourages people to continue to play is a good thing.

(Also note that this would still not require the level requirements, so the other comment about resets sitting at low ranks wouldn't apply, especially since reset doesn't reset your anniversary, I don't think?)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 pm

No, just no.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Take your titles and ship designs, shine them up real nice, turn them sumb!tches sideways and stick 'em straight up your candya$$.

The whole point of Porowyn and the Prismatic planet is a reward for loyalty and dedication for x number of years. Your complaint that this is a game mechanic/feature you cannot access is completely invalid. You CAN access them. Play the game for 5 years and you'll get your Prismatic planet. Play the game for 7 years and you'll get your Porowyn. Simple. Quit crying about how us old farts have something you don't. We didn't have Rifts when we started. We didn't have legion bases to supplement our production when we started. We didn't have immunity to attack when we started. Do you have any idea how long it took us to get where we could collect 100k AP? Newbs now get that EVERY DAY just for showing up. Call this an old timer guarding his privileges if you want, but the bottom line is that if everyone gets to have the special shiny thing, then it isn't very special or shiny anymore. May as well just remove restrictions on everything then.

My Prismatic planet is X79, meaning I was the 78th player to reach 5 years of seniority (Dan owns X1 and he doesn't count). Given the attrition since then, I'd venture a guess that no more than 50 people (if that) got their Porowyns before me. There's a certain degree of pride in lasting that long. Maybe when you grow up a little bit, you'll understand the value of accomplishing something through time and effort rather than just buying it.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 am
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
Take your titles and ship designs, shine them up real nice, turn them sumb!tches sideways and stick 'em straight up your candya$$.

The whole point of Porowyn and the Prismatic planet is a reward for loyalty and dedication for x number of years. Your complaint that this is a game mechanic/feature you cannot access is completely invalid. You CAN access them. Play the game for 5 years and you'll get your Prismatic planet. Play the game for 7 years and you'll get your Porowyn. Simple. Quit crying about how us old farts have something you don't. We didn't have Rifts when we started. We didn't have legion bases to supplement our production when we started. We didn't have immunity to attack when we started. Do you have any idea how long it took us to get where we could collect 100k AP? Newbs now get that EVERY DAY just for showing up. Call this an old timer guarding his privileges if you want, but the bottom line is that if everyone gets to have the special shiny thing, then it isn't very special or shiny anymore. May as well just remove restrictions on everything then.

My Prismatic planet is X79, meaning I was the 78th player to reach 5 years of seniority (Dan owns X1 and he doesn't count). Given the attrition since then, I'd venture a guess that no more than 50 people (if that) got their Porowyns before me. There's a certain degree of pride in lasting that long. Maybe when you grow up a little bit, you'll understand the value of accomplishing something through time and effort rather than just buying it.

It is the old timer gl nobility saying let them eat cake trying to cling on to their privileges they get simply for having been FIRST. I dont even blame you, your flagrent self interest for the massive powergain you get from the 'started early' medal is quite understandable, but its still not a healthy thing for the game and should be changed. Its absurd. Its a case of a game where time spent is allready a huge power differential working even harder to exasperate it. There is a certain degree of pride in being around so long, hence, you can have a nice ship title and design to show off while new players arent crushed because your ego cant stand the idea that someone can catch up to content that only 'old timers' are allowed. Because realisticly yearly rewards should have never extended beyond that. What other games have this kind of system for time played, realy, I'd actualy love to know if anyone can bring up examples.

Kevin9809 wrote:
No, just no.

Lets hear why mate. A well argued reason as to why simply having gotten in early should give you an advantage IN EXCESS of the degree of 100 ctp per day you got in early.
If not, im just going to say given you joined in may 25 2011, and odds are you started before you joined, opposition is just more protection of your timegated advantages.

Stark Tech Inside

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:31 am

Currently, my Prismatic planet provides 4.3% of my hourly AP. Explain to me how that is so overpowered that everyone without a Prismatic planet is suffering.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:46 am
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
Currently, my Prismatic planet provides 4.3% of my hourly AP. Explain to me how that is so overpowered that everyone without a Prismatic planet is suffering.

Its not the Planet thats the elephant in the room. Thats a mouse in the room, a problem, but not a huge one. Its the 7 year medal thats realy the problem here. Hence, the push for the catch up now.

Once again. If your saying that the rewards from these medals aren't overpowered, clearly 36500 ctp to advance one reward forward is more than expensive enough.

Stark Tech Inside

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next