View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Disable auto refresh when scanning 

The lag sucks when scanning. I suggest disabling the refresh feature while the planet scan window is open. Add a button to refresh at will

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 am

I've sent this in as a bug report before...it'd be much better if it only refreshed the planet list when you hit the "x" in the scan window or revisited the planets screen, it does make it pretty painful to scan when every single time you add a flag or scan a planet it needs to refresh the entire window.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 pm

There's not really much can be done about it. The only time there is any lag is when you find a planet. It then has to be added to your planet count otherwise you'd have infinite scanning. It also has to be added into your database, or else that planet could not be copied via crit hack while you're scanning. Therefore, one refresh rather than two separate ones which would make things even slower.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
There's not really much can be done about it.

It is a simple change, although I would not expect to see it happen.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:22 am

Guide wrote:
Darth Flagitious wrote:

I don't believe that is correct.
As pointed out, the delay is when the planet is found and added to the database - it is probably not really the refresh that is the problem.
Suspect refresh is the side effect, not the cause. Adding it to your scanned planets in the database is naturally not optional.
If, for example, you filter scanned planets by "dyson" the delay when a planet is found remains. This makes me think that Darth is correct.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 am

agree with diegobene..my practical play experience would tend to confirm as much

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 am

Deigobene wrote:
Darth is correct.

After 7 years you'd think people would understand that... :roll:

:mrgreen:

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 am
Profile WWW

Darth Flagitious wrote:
There's not really much can be done about it. The only time there is any lag is when you find a planet. It then has to be added to your planet count otherwise you'd have infinite scanning. It also has to be added into your database, or else that planet could not be copied via crit hack while you're scanning. Therefore, one refresh rather than two separate ones which would make things even slower.

Maybe so, but the planet does not need to be immediately added to your list client side, and *that* is what causes the lag.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Deigobene wrote:
Guide wrote:
Darth Flagitious wrote:

I don't believe that is correct.
As pointed out, the delay is when the planet is found and added to the database - it is probably not really the refresh that is the problem.
Suspect refresh is the side effect, not the cause. Adding it to your scanned planets in the database is naturally not optional.
If, for example, you filter scanned planets by "dyson" the delay when a planet is found remains. This makes me think that Darth is correct.

Adding a single row to a table of player's planets should NOT be slow - the table only needs to contain pointers to a global planet table.

I'd assume the delay even with a filter is caused by the client reloading, then re-filtering your planets. (Although you *do* save some delay because the client does not have to render as much after the filter is applied.)

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:01 pm

No, Kropotkin, Darth is correct. After 7 years, you'd think that you'd have realized that already.

Don't come here with your knowledge and your facts and try to convince us otherwise. It won't work!

/s

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

There are currently 8,818,708 entries in the global planet "database".
Accessing the Name, Size, Type, Resource Richness and Image for each one added based on the new planet ID you find will take time.
Sucks, but true. May be able to be retrieved more efficiently, maybe not. Could be a pretty chunky hunka data.
Displaying it once available will not take much time.
That bit is trivial in comparison, as is filtering it from less than 2000 planets you have on scan.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Deigobene wrote:
May be able to be retrieved more efficiently.

Definitely.

Also, the number of planets in the database is almost irrelevant if you're retrieving a limited subset of them, so long as the table is properly indexed, which I'm just going to go ahead and say that it definitely is.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]