View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 exotica guards....now relieved! Exotica has a new home...... 

Exotica ? Loll whats that??

(Sarcasm)

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:42 am

comaface wrote:
+1

The block feature is broken as hell when it comes to planets - whether it's guards rendering themselves essentially invincible to certain attackers, or planet thieves avoiding retaliation.

Spamming debuffs against Exotica guards has always been par for the course. It's not about the attacking ships being weak, it's a tactical decision based on the need to remove as many as guards as possible, as fast as possible. It's been so de rigueur for literally years that many players didn't even retaliate for spam if they were guarding Exotica - it's just something you expected and accepted. Pac Man comparing it to killing ships on the BT is a false equivalence, makes no sense, and is of course just another thinly veiled attempt to go off on a tangent of irrelevant boasting.

The fact that players have found another way to exploit the silly block feature to their advantage is not surprising in itself, and I don't blame them for using it - it makes as much tactical sense as spamming debuffs. The fact that Pac Man has a found a way to twist the whole thing around to the point where he is gloating about blocking people while referring to those he has blocked as weak is also not surprising, and it would be hilarious if it wasn't so goddam stupid.

Edit: And while we're at it, if you have me blocked, you should not be able to steal my planets. Or if you do, it should immediately cancel the block. It's ridiculous that someone can block you and then steal your planet, or steal a planet and then block you when you start to zero them. Or hey, just get rid of the dumb block feature entirely...

Jesus Christ well said man!

:D

Galaxy Top Players - Rank:#17 Research:#10 Battles:#7 Kills:#19 Hacks:#9 Raids:#3

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 pm

CapitainePaul wrote:
comaface wrote:
+1

The block feature is broken as hell when it comes to planets - whether it's guards rendering themselves essentially invincible to certain attackers, or planet thieves avoiding retaliation.

Edit: And while we're at it, if you have me blocked, you should not be able to steal my planets. Or if you do, it should immediately cancel the block. It's ridiculous that someone can block you and then steal your planet, or steal a planet and then block you when you start to zero them. Or hey, just get rid of the dumb block feature entirely...

I stand by that statement 100%.

Thankyou Paul, thats basically all I was asking...

Galaxy Top Players - Rank:#17 Research:#10 Battles:#7 Kills:#19 Hacks:#9 Raids:#3

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
comaface wrote:
+1

Spamming debuffs against Exotica guards has always been par for the course. It's not about the attacking ships being weak, it's a tactical decision based on the need to remove as many as guards as possible, as fast as possible. It's been so de rigueur for literally years that many players didn't even retaliate for spam if they were guarding Exotica - it's just something you expected and accepted. Pac Man comparing it to killing ships on the BT is a false equivalence, makes no sense, and is of course just another thinly veiled attempt to go off on a tangent of irrelevant boasting.

The fact that players have found another way to exploit the silly block feature to their advantage is not surprising in itself, and I don't blame them for using it - it makes as much tactical sense as spamming debuffs. The fact that Pac Man has a found a way to twist the whole thing around to the point where he is gloating about blocking people while referring to those he has blocked as weak is also not surprising, and it would be hilarious if it wasn't so goddam stupid.

Agree 100% as far as planets are concerned: making yourself invincible, limiting retaliation options from people you steal from, stealth theft, blah. It's horribly and ridiculously broken in all those ways, and needs to be changed.

Aside from the obvious planet-related issues, I don't love the block feature, but wouldn't get rid of it. I have used it on ships I don't have any interest in engaging with, enemy ships have used it on me, and the game is probably better for the limited interactions.

Yep, I wasnt saying get rid of the feature - just to negate its use on exotica.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:25 pm

juiceman wrote:
im with coma ...true dat bro, preach on..

I think exotica, being "central" thematic planet of the affairs should be a no hold barred placed. Much like how your halc won't save you guarding a planet, so much more so should this apply to any manner of protection for guarding exotica. It's already next to impossible to kill any decent ship if they are online, let alone kill 6-10 with tons of hull, and some with ssb low caps.

Emps, krios, etc, exist for quick strategic hits, to level playing field against stronger ships, and incidentally to piss people off (dan prolly didn't plan that piece on purpose, but there it is). I can see some points from both the foxy one and from PA. I mean a block is a block and a coq is a coq, and if you have to be a coq to use a block, or block a heinous coq, then the mess is foqed.

All alliteration aside--wink- any legion, or ship, who is both willing to use and endorse spam for their team, but then wants to hide behind game mechanics seems hypocrytical. Unlike deck size, which is a play style choice, the block is overly powerful and lasts way to long. Month is a hellacious long time.

Also, coordination isn't as much a thing anymore. With shrinking legion sizes and # of active strong players, few are willing to lone wolf it or even small pack hunt. That doesn't mean change all the rules to help a few, but Dan should take all things into account for game wide decisions. Remember block wasn't always there, just like so many other things which have changed or been added.

What coma said was my point in the first place. The block feature on exotica shouldnt be used.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:26 pm

How are we suppose to farm weak players if there is a block system? DOWN WITH THE BLOCK

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 pm

I blocked Cracky because it made me laugh. It would take him less than 4 min to kill me without using artifacts as other ships routinely do. I find the block feature in general annoying and resent it for making the game suck for maniacs like Funk but if we're going to have to live with the stupid thing, the more people who suffer the better. Protecting the spamming rights of the lone gunman assault on exotica is much less important than dozens of more pressing fixes Dan never gets around to. I also think infinitely stackable debuffs are a priori broken so making them work better should never be a priority.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 pm

The stated purpose of the block feature is "to leave it up to the players to make decisions on who they would like to continue to play with… or not." It is meant to "block other ships from interacting with theirs". So if we need to 'fix' the block with regard to planets, the most logical solution is to change the code so that if you're attacking a planet guarded by someone who has you blocked, none of the guard's stats contribute to the planet's defense and you can invade without removing them. For you, the blocked guard simply doesn't exist. This would allow both players to continue to access all game functionality without their ships interacting.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 am

Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
The stated purpose of the block feature is "to leave it up to the players to make decisions on who they would like to continue to play with… or not." It is meant to "block other ships from interacting with theirs". So if we need to 'fix' the block with regard to planets, the most logical solution is to change the code so that if you're attacking a planet guarded by someone who has you blocked, none of the guard's stats contribute to the planet's defense and you can invade without removing them. For you, the blocked guard simply doesn't exist. This would allow both players to continue to access all game functionality without their ships interacting.
Sounds reasonable. In your scenario, do your planets exist to the ship that doesn't exist to you? I mean, I get that that is an indirect ship interaction, but that's arguably more important than BT/guarding stuff.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
Sounds reasonable. In your scenario, do your planets exist to the ship that doesn't exist to you? I mean, I get that that is an indirect ship interaction, but that's arguably more important than BT/guarding stuff.

That seems reasonable (if you block a player, you can't guard a planet against that player) - but it should certainly not provide a way to make your planets invisible to that player.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Texas Toast wrote:
That seems reasonable (if you block a player, you can't guard a planet against that player) - but it should certainly not provide a way to make your planets invisible to that player.
If you really don't want to continue to play with somebody, that should include planets. I.e. you shouldn't be able to reap the benefits of being left alone by somebody you don't like on the BT while ALSO being able to alert or steal their stuff. And if somebody is constantly hitting you on the BT and you block them, wouldn't that rub salt in the wound if they just turn around and flux one of your better planets? That's gonna hurt more than a few disables.

As I'd like to see it: sure, you can scan everyone's planets, but if they're blocked, you should get the "This player has been blocked and cannot be targeted." screen when trying to access their planets for alerting, using artifacts, attacking, or invading while the block is active.

I think this might be diverging from Exotica talk tho...

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Woo hoo!

Exotica has finally been liberated from the Evil Gimp-Empire that is Project Mild-Cafuffle I mean Anarchy.

Hopefully our little ballsy member Randy Savage can hold for next 7 hours or so....and then... who knows? Maybe another legion who needs the medal will grab it hopefully.

This has been a Public Service Announcement by your friendly neighbourhood Crack Fox!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8-)

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 pm

huzzah ..foxyness wins again!!!

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:31 am

Back where it belongs, regardless of the block feature, we'll always take it back.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:39 am

JDoe01 wrote:
Back where it belongs, regardless of the block feature, we'll always take it back.

Just as Il keep popping ya for the good of the galaxy! We managed to get 2 of our players the medal anyhow this week- more than have had it over the last few months so I'm happy with that!

8-)

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:36 am

senatorhung wrote:
blabla wrote:
anyone already having the exotica medal shouldnt be able to guard it...

+1 to that

since Dan didn't seem to like that idea, i floated another one in legion that got a laugh and so i decided to post it here.

in the last major changes to Exotica from 2012:

1. currently Exotica's contested debuff applies to the planet's defense.
"Contested : Total Defense and Attack -99.99%"
"The contested stacking debuff on Exotica has increased from -5% per day, to -20% per day."

2. meanwhile, the Exotica's Influence applies to the legion's base production:
"Grants the ability Exotica's Influence - adds to base production: 1% + 1% for each 24 hours (down from 4 hours) that the planet has been controlled (up to a max of 10%)"

3. and "You may not guard Exotica if you were disabled by a player in the last hour."

my suggestions:

1. instead of granting the debuff only to the planetary defense, have the debuff also apply to any defending guards. this will lead to the guards being hit for damage cap at maximum debuff, both targeting from Exotica or from the battle tab.

2. in return, have the Exotica's Influence production boost continue to apply the 1% for the legion base, but have the additional boost only apply to any defending guards - 1% for each 24 hours guarded up to a maximum of 10%.

3. extend the guarding restriction after being disabled from 1 hour to 8 hours. include disables from gemini cannons and NPCs if not already included.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:25 am
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
senatorhung wrote:
blabla wrote:
anyone already having the exotica medal shouldnt be able to guard it...

+1 to that

since Dan didn't seem to like that idea, i floated another one in legion that got a laugh and so i decided to post it here.

in the last major changes to Exotica from 2012:

1. currently Exotica's contested debuff applies to the planet's defense.
"Contested : Total Defense and Attack -99.99%"
"The contested stacking debuff on Exotica has increased from -5% per day, to -20% per day."

2. meanwhile, the Exotica's Influence applies to the legion's base production:
"Grants the ability Exotica's Influence - adds to base production: 1% + 1% for each 24 hours (down from 4 hours) that the planet has been controlled (up to a max of 10%)"

3. and "You may not guard Exotica if you were disabled by a player in the last hour."

my suggestions:

1. instead of granting the debuff only to the planetary defense, have the debuff also apply to any defending guards. this will lead to the guards being hit for damage cap at maximum debuff, both targeting from Exotica or from the battle tab.

2. in return, have the Exotica's Influence production boost continue to apply the 1% for the legion base, but have the additional boost only apply to any defending guards - 1% for each 24 hours guarded up to a maximum of 10%.

3. extend the guarding restriction after being disabled from 1 hour to 8 hours. include disables from gemini cannons and NPCs if not already included.

definitely an improvement

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 am

Seems complicated. Given that it's basically the same 3-5 ships all day, every day, just limit the number of hours per day/week any one ship can guard Exotica. Boom. Problem solved.

You don't need to be very strong to be unkillable while online, even when being hit at cap. You just need a stable Internet connection and a steady stream of repair nanos. Debuffing ships, especially ones that don't really do much but sit on Exotica all day really won't change anything.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 am

Pongoloid wrote:
Seems complicated. Given that it's basically the same 3-5 ships all day, every day, just limit the number of hours per day/week any one ship can guard Exotica. Boom. Problem solved.

it was already complicated with the last set of major changes in 2012. since the coding is already in place, my suggestions just tweaked what is already there. giving the extra x% bonuses to those actually guarding the planet for an extended period of time makes more sense than giving the entire legion more than the basic 1% bonus.
Pongoloid wrote:
You don't need to be very strong to be unkillable while online, even when being hit at cap. You just need a stable Internet connection and a steady stream of repair nanos. Debuffing ships, especially ones that don't really do much but sit on Exotica all day really won't change anything.

allowing any guard to be hit at cap AND extending the restriction to 8 hours means more chances for taking down a guarding ship as a group action via Exotica AND the battle tab. yes, if they are online, they won't go down .. but if they are afk .. they will be blocked from re.guarding for 8 hours, giving more opportunity for attackers to focus on the next guard. so instead of trying to down every guard in 1 hour .. you have a bit more time for the concentrated team effort that any Exotica attempt now requires.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:41 am
Profile WWW

I like the idea, but knowing Dan don't do anything we are all talking and debating for nothing...

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next