View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 System defense 

I had the beginnings of an idea on the "use for bad planets" thread that I thought I could make a bit more 'manifesto'-like.

Legion ships can already defend someone's home world en masse so I thought it might make sense for there to be a less social way for people to turtle up that is strategic as opposed to reaqctionary. If one could simply assign the attack and defense of one planet to defend another that is under attack, it would make a fair bit of sense.

If we were as technically advanced as any species in this game, we would probably have a missile silo (or minefield or cloaking satellite or whatever actually fits into game concepts) on pluto or the moon or somewhere that could get at least an early warning on invaders, if not a preemptive strike.

You could call one an outpost and one a home planet, but that would be totally subjective and really doesn't matter. The idea I'm putting forth is much simpler than that. I think everyone has settled a few planets early on that they wish they hadn't. Just load them up with attack and defense structures and assign them to defend your exotic 'homeworld'. Legion defense pretty much does the same thing but it is more of a reaction than a strategy. And if someone attacks the planet defending the other... well tough titties, your 'outpost' gets blown up. Zero attack/defense. The attacker probably won't have the planet location or the desire to invade it. There would have to be limits. maybe only 2 or 3 defending planets. Maybe make the defense assignment somewhat permanent. I'm not sure what determines invasion success but this should probably have little or no bearing on that because failures are annoying enough as it is. A lot of the numerical and conceptual details I'm not entirely sure about. I'm not a programmer. If there can be 20 ships from multiple species defending a single planet from what amounts to an interstellar phone call, I don't see why other planets in a system would just be sitting around.

If you want a lasting "homeworld" that produces a lot, then demolish the attack, defense and cloaking structures and focus on the domestic production structures that properly exploit the resources.

BULLET LIST

1 "useless" planets wouldn't be totally useless

2 one could actually focus on production on the planets that are meant for it, instead of paranoia

3 fits within current game concepts rather succinctly. Pretty similar to legion defense in some ways. I'm not going to pretend implementing it would be as simple though

4 makes rational sense. There aren't "systems" in the game, but I think the fictional concept of flux that we have makes this particular galaxy rather fluid in that regard. With even a little bit of permanence in the assignment, the concept of a "system" becomes ideologically cohesive

5 half-assedly, yet fluidly addresses the concepts of "outposts" and "homeworlds". Things in between

Despite how long of a post this might be, it's a rather simple concept and its easily tweakable.

Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 am

Your idea works great to improve defenses of 'good' planets and to have a use for 'bad' planets, but how will a 'star system' be implemented? In-character, I would think that it would be insanely difficult to try to line up a dyson's orbit around a star, considering it will be just as big as one. However, I now realize that you could possibly move tiny 'bad' planets into orbit around a bigger 'good' planet.
If that works, you can also have a title to the planets: 'moon' and 'homeworld'

Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Well technically a dyson IS a star. I would assume they are rather gimp stars though. I guess you couldn't really have a terra or exotic feasibly orbit a dyson sphere without poking a whole in the sphere. A binary star system with any proximity wouldn't really be conducive to reasonable planetary orbits. Many star systems are binary when you wouldn't really think that they are. The distance between them is quite vast though. Probably not close enough for mutual defense. I figure planets move around in the galaxy anyways because of flux technology. I was trying to use fiction as an excuse, so as long as its possible in some remote fashion within that fictional universe I'm just going to tell myself that I'm overthinking it.

Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 pm

it would be cool to be able to move modules from one planet to the next, but not by reinventing the established def structure. if it defeats the space requirement then NO WAY. it would be nice to move a module to your cargo like an artifact for deployment like an artifact. BUT... whats the point?

Tue May 25, 2010 2:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]