View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hybrid Theory Research Tree 

I propose a new Research tree around tech that melds one stat to another.. we have alot of artis that grant +att +hull, or planet artis that give +1 mining +1 research. Lets make a tree that each step would have prereqs of two other trees, and a research cost as high as the next level in that tree. And make the end result slightly more powerful then having one each of the respective tech tree

For Example

Level 1 -Laser Fusion - Pre Req - Level 3 Laser Focusing, Level 4 Cold Fusion Research would be 2000 per sublevel 3 sublevels
The prize
Light Laser Fuser Size 13 - Attack +20 Energy +8
Laser Fuser Size 14 - Attack +23 Energy +12
Heavy Laser Fuser Size 15 - Attack +25 Energy +16
Max 4 equipped takes one of the 8 weapon slots.

Level 2 - Nano Warfare - Pre Req Level 3 Nano Assembly, Level 3 Negative Refraction, Level 3 Force Projection Fields, Level 3 Ion ChannelingResearch would be 7000 per sublevel 3 sublevels
The Prize
Subterranean Defense Probes Size 9 Arti +3 Planerary Defense +50
Weaponized Nanite Disassemblers Size 9 Mining +3 Planetary Attack +50
NanoRefraction Lab Size 9 Research +3 Planetary Cloak +25

Obviously there would be numerous more levels underneath this.. It would be another research dump, an opportunity for different builds as it would require a very balanced research tree to advance up the Hybrid theory tree. And it would give alot more room for customization, min/maxing etc..

What do you guys think

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:23 pm

i like it. but, how would they be limited to ships? would it be 8 fusion techs total? or limited fusion techs of each type (cloak/scan, attack/defense/invasion attack, shield/hull) also, would ships have just one tree? or a fusion tree for each combination, like one fusion tree for attack/defense, one for cloak/scan, etc.? cause one branch total would be rather short and limited.

because there are so many possible combinations, what i may suggest is a new tab to the research page called Prototypes. Because the tech from the normal tree is pretty stable, everyone has it researched and equipped. but what if on the 'Prototype' page, one new research option is available every 12 hours based on the previous tech youve researched. if you want to research it, you then 'Lock it in' and can research it until completion. for example, say you have the top tech in the game researched. then you could have 37,789,752 options of random combinations to appear.

3 new prototype suggestions can appear per day, and to save dan some cash, one module for each combination can be used, but have version model placed after them depending on what tech is used to create it. like, say you have an energy + attack module up that used cold fusion and mass drivers. that can be reactor cannon v. 2.1 (version 2 because it uses the second weapon tech, v.1 because it uses the first energy tech. if it were to use cold fusion and quasichaostatic blasters then it would be reactorcannon v. 14.1, etc. all the 'reactorcannons' would look the same, but just have a different version in their name.)

also, if you research the most advanced tech first, youll still get pestered with lower levels of the same tech until you remove all of them from your database. so if you get you continuum analyzer/inverse flux jammer first, youll still see the proximity sensor/proximity jammer model show up.

and youll get one new slot to lock tech every 50 levels. the first one gained will be at level 50, so new players are still forced to research actual tech at first. This way if you see some combination you dont have yet, or that you really want but cant do it right then you can still lock it for later.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:22 am

+1 I like this idea as well. .. anything to bring a bit more customization to the game .. Your idea is definitely a little more gradiose .. where mine basically build off the current structure while adding pre reqs to researching a level in the tree ..

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Love it +1

Far to many possible combinations to set up a research tree though.
Possible way to reduce the amount of possibilities would be to allow sub tables for same research tiers only.
In your examples you use Laser Focusing that is Tier 3 on the weapons tree and Cold Fusion that being Tier 2 on the energy tree.
Change it so that you get sub research each Tier on the combined trees.

Finish Weapons and Energy Tier 2 and gain access to Weapon/Energy Research Tier 1
Finish Weapons and Energy Tier 4 and gain access to Weapons/Energy Tier 2
Finish Weapons and Energy Tier 4 and gain access to Weapons/Energy Tier 3
All the way to Sub Tree Tier 5, requiring 10 Tiers in two Primary Research Tree's
Each combination would require its own prerequisites be met.

Don't allow for too many cross tree's have set options:
Weapons X Energy
Armor X Cloaking
Shield X Scanning
Thruster X Dampener
Limit 2 modules TOTAL (any combination) per 100 ranks to a maximum of 10 modules at rank 1,000
(I'm a fan of progression.)

I like this hybrid idea so much I am going to repost it.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 am

lol wouldnt the random selection of 3 researchable objectives achieve the goal of not being overloaded with too much tech at once?

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]