View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Whta do YOU think of these legion changes??? 

As I have posted in another thread I was shocked and very pissed at these recent changes from Dan. It has ruined our group that we have worked hard to build, it has changed and ruined quite a few friendships as we move forward in the game. I have no desire to "sell" my Legion as we had over 120 active members in Stormkyn, and now I have to not let people come to us (we had nearly 40 within 2 hours of creation and there is not room for the rest), I have to turn away members that have been with us from the beginning which sucks. I like Nocifer's idea of "laddering" his group, but as Dan has said there is no linking of Legions so a ladder system is nothing more than enemies under the same name. It is worth saying I can see how this could be improved (mainly by increasing legion size), but much damage has already been done.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:54 pm

The ladder system is working for the moment due to the fact you can see a persons legion when you inspect their ship. The problem comes now that you cant see what legion someone is in when you look at the planet...

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Taekyn wrote:
The ladder system is working for the moment due to the fact you can see a persons legion when you inspect their ship. The problem comes now that you cant see what legion someone is in when you look at the planet...

that has always been an issue. and that in the later days of DOO existence, planets spark alot more conflict than hacks/disable.

edit: would be nice to have a legion tag on the planet just like the ships.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I think the legion changes is good for the majority of players aka the ones below lvl 100 and the newcomers.

For the ones who played several months it's a bit of a shock. We made friends, we played together and now we are all torn appart, friends in several groups and we are now enemies ... It's kinda annoying.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:36 pm

well there are 2 things I see as not really working properly. Your shares follow you to whatever group you join as fas I can tell and we can endlessly use omicron nets on our friends. I think the system makes a lot more sense with coherent legions as opposed to the type of network in place before. We can talk to our legions to coordinate most anything and they are a lot more likely to be around your level range. I didn't expect making a legion to be easy. It's not only a case of "too many chiefs, not enough indians" but also some of how recruitment works. The earliest created groups had an advantage and everyone expects to have their huge conventional legions back right away. I think the legion search form should be more like the planet list and that people might be able to invite people that are already in another legions and that the invitations are kept in some folder/location where they eventually expire and never see your ship's log. If you didn't have 100+ friends it would have to be undoubtedly awesome.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Legion size bigger = no

not unless there is a capping system in place to stop one huge monster legion from forming.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:09 pm

<S>

The update came as an answer to something I was finding annoying. Like finding out you are hitting a wingman's own network. Good change. Most of my online gaming background was in Star Fleet Command where campaigns were disputed with utmost ferocity and competition, sometimes involving as many as 3 PvP battles on the same sector at the same time.

Good, now I know I'm not hitting friendlies. This removes a lot of inhibition and restrain, I know where to lock on my weapons.
Thanks,

Plamok

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 am

i love it. i was in a clan that REQUIRED that i add all the members to my FB friends list... no thanks. i only added about 1/4 of them. AND i had to constantly ask or check if that person im attacking or stealing a planet from is part of the legion or not. there was issues with spying and multi clanning. alot of ships were part of multiple orgs at the same time so its understandable that they had to make a choice.

i had to make a choice and some friends are on the other side, but we are still friends and will continue to help eachother. its possible we might be on the same side eventually.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:47 am

I think its great so far, the only groups I know of that have truly been hit hard by this used the "gang beat" conscription method to gain people, so im happy to see them get messed up. More organization for groups, deters people from forming mass groups again. I dont have to add 60 friends to get a full bonus and I dont need to be part of a group with a hypocritical ideology to casual PVP.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:21 am

Cothordin wrote:
I think its great so far, the only groups I know of that have truly been hit hard by this used the "gang beat" conscription method to gain people, so im happy to see them get messed up. More organization for groups, deters people from forming mass groups again. I dont have to add 60 friends to get a full bonus and I dont need to be part of a group with a hypocritical ideology to casual PVP.

I agree, good work Dan.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 am

Personally I have to say I dont like it so much admittedly its still new, and as me and Coth was saying in a different thread time may improve things but currently I've went from a legion of 680+ to this, today I saw a blazing 12 alerts, major let down and rather boring. This change has the potential to make GL like most other FB games, you log in for 10 minutes in the morning, spend your energy/stamina then log off, rinse and repeat daily. Just my opinion but I either want bigger legions or back to the old system.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 am

<S>

Forming Legions was one solution among many. Notice of friendly fire on a friend's allies could have be shown within existing interface. Personally, I don't have problems with numbers. As long as a Legion gets around 40 allies...

Clear thinking and knowledge of all the game's parameter trees plus long term strategy into a personal style. This will bring victory, let us not be intimidated by sheer Legion size yet.

There is an opening for role play but unlike Star Trek or Star Wars we do not share species and characters everyone knows. I guess it's our part of the game. The designers provide the stage, role play is up to us.

Most of the species/specialties are clearly listed in wiki-legion.

Legion to Legion diplomacy would be a nice further step and would help balance what many see as a potential risk for small fleet annihilation. Non-aggression pacts and alliances would help balance things out.

Keep the faith :-)

Plamok

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 am

There really isn't much saying that anyone having 500+ friends that play the same game will ever make new players join, let alone have anyone spend money on the game. We all circumvented that, and the only person with anything to #$&*@ about is trying to fix it. This new system actually has coherence and communicaton. This new sort of legion system will become part of the point to play the game. Frankly, all other facebook games have taken the least common denominator in terms of trying to get people to play, and we all know how much better Dan is than any of them, and a much better programmer and designer. The fiscal/promotion side of all of it may actually be tricky, but my guess is that Dan knows what he is doing. I think there might be a strict referral system where NEW players get the person referring them 10 GP or something. There really needs to be a new, better and less annoying way to do what other apps have done in terms of promotion. I just hope it isn't as much of a requirement at the higher levels.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 am

I totally agree with the previous post. Legions introduces meaning where other games have failed. This game is something else than the zebillion tokens of whatnots and having 500 friends games

This could be the first browser based game to attain the same level as MOO . Paths are non-deterministic; above a certain level, no two ships are alike.

Plamok

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:24 am

Has anyone who is NOT in DOO been unhappy with the changes overall?

So far everyone I have talked to would like some tweaks but the only ones unhappy with it are DOO and they are going to be unhappy with anything that gives other legions a shot at standing up to them. (Noc excluded, he likes a good fair fight.)

- #3 with level 6 base and #3 in Legion strength (not just NPC fighters)
- 13 Lab creations (all the best)
- Our base gives 22000 RP a day

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 pm
Profile WWW

Lol Kaos I like your sig :))))

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Not to threadjack but I did that last week when I realized 7 or 8 of the people that were banned from our group for cheating and other problems, ended up in DOO.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

Once again this need time to play out people, complaing about a system that is not working before you have a chance to try it out is counter productive. Does it affect the DOO yes, does it affect others yes very much so. The people that had 400+ legion sizes had their feet cut out from them. As for me personally it is a change we all must adjust too, as I said also before I would go to the ends of the universe for any DOO member in need and still will no mater their legion. As for the members, honestly, there are only about 30 maybe a few more that I talk with regularly. Let’s all try to work this system out folks, everyone has valid points that they are trying to make, but to just complaining about the new system without even giving it a go is crazy. Some of you keep talking about doo being affected by the size well I have seen 3 paladin groups that would seem they have size issues as well because if I do my math right 3 groups means 150 players hmmmm, maybe before you trash talk other legions you should consider what your saying!!!!!

The new system has its + and -, I think its working out great for the most part. Would I like a member increase yes, but that can be worked with. The features added are great, the ability to tell if a ship is friend or foe, lets face it, it is a face book game about socializing, and if I have the chance to attack someone not on my fb friends account that is my choice and that goes for the latter there are people in my fb account that were only in my legion because they were on my fb, that were not in DOO, that I would like to duel with and now I can.

The one thing I have an issue with And I am DOO !!!!!!!! look its not the Size that bothers me for those saying that’s all we care about!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am trying to give the system time to pan out and see were it is going 1st because 2 days is not enough time to say it is not working.

However that being said what I would like and I am sure or at least hoping that Dan is planning to add additional features. Like a system that will allow for legion on legion bouts, a reward system for things being done as a legion, maybe actual missions that require the legion as a hole to complete to unlock special things that benefit the legion. Or even by killing certain bosses together as a legion you get faction from it that you can spend on faction rewards. I only say this because if you make a diversity of equipment you can start to make the legion more fine tune. As of right now there is no diversity really in the game, but making class or race or faction rewards you make the ships start to diversify. As it is now and like many games it reminds me of WOW who can PL the fastest to get the same equipment. What I am saying everyone is basically the same some just take longer to get there. If you add mission that make you choose a reward, then it will make the ships different because the rewards will offer different stats, making you have to specialize in of ability over another whether it be attack, defense, clocking, so on.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:11 pm

My only issue with this new legion system is NPC's.

The legion I'm in had over 100 members, but I didn't use them for gang rapes. I used the legion for trades and NPC shares, and occasionally planets (but mainly for defense when I didn't have planet flux's).

Now, with this new system, I probably will never see a boss NPC again. I think the NPC's should be shared by ALL friends, and everything else stays within the new legion system.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Veristek wrote:
My only issue with this new legion system is NPC's.

The legion I'm in had over 100 members, but I didn't use them for gang rapes. I used the legion for trades and NPC shares, and occasionally planets (but mainly for defense when I didn't have planet flux's).

Now, with this new system, I probably will never see a boss NPC again. I think the NPC's should be shared by ALL friends, and everything else stays within the new legion system.

My two problems are:

1) I agree with Veristek, I haven't seen a boss since the new legions started because I am the type that took on a bunch of low levels.
2) I think the size needs to be tweaked. Something between 75-100 members and then limit the number of duplicate legions a group can have.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next