View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Artifact Warehouse 

Hey all,

I was thinking that we need some kind of Artifact Warehouse with a few limitations. I'm sure a lot of players have their holds filling up with "weak" artifacts, trap artifacts that aren't immediately usuable until the first trap timers run out, planet or ship buffs that aren't needed until you're under active attack, etc.

What an Artifact Warehouse can do:

1. Store artifacts for you that you don't foresee being used in the short term.

2. It can hold as many of an artifact type as your rank. So if you're Rank 100, it can store 100 Flux Probes or 100 Shield Restorers.

3. There is no deposit fee.

4. There is a withdrawal fee. The fee should be 100 x your rank. Meaning a Rank 10 will only need to pay 1,000 credits to withdraw an artifact from the warehouse, while a rank 200 would need to pay 200,000 credits.

What the Artifact Warehouse can't do:

1. Can't store high end artifacts. That way, PvP can still have a chance to steal lucrative artifacts. A good cutoff point would be any artifacts worth 2,500 or more artifact points.

2. Can't store permanent stat raising artifacts like Rescued Prisoners, Durantium Brackets, X-Charge cells, Terraformers, etc. regardless of artifact worth value.

3. Can't withdraw more than 10 artifacts in any given 24 hour period.

==========================

Another few of ideas in lieu of Artifact Warehouse.

1. Scrapping artifacts gives you exotic matter equal to 10% of the artifact's value. So if you scrap an artifact worth 2,500 artifact points, you can get 250 Exotic Matter from it.

2. Scrapping artifacts gives you a refund on artifact points. Perhaps 25% of the artifact value is recycled into artifact points.

3. Multiply the base "scrap" value by the player's level divided by 10. If a level 100 player scraps an artifact for 10,000 credits under the old system, it would be recycled for 100,000 credits (level 100 divided by 10, which is 10. Then 10 x 10,000). This should help a bit, since game balance will be maintained- higher levels need far more cash to build modules and buildings than the lowbies.

Any one of these ideas could work. Discuss your thoughts.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Scrapping was never intended to return any 'real' value of the item. Artifact economy was never intended to replace mining, they will always remain separate. Scrapping is primarily to get rid of something you don't want. Players already gain an insane amount of APs at higher Ranks.

You can already store artifacts in your cargo. Choosing what you will use now vs later and what you scrap is part of the strategy. Lets discuss ideas that streamline what is already there, rather than adding more complexity.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 am

webguydan wrote:
Scrapping was never intended to return any 'real' value of the item. Artifact economy was never intended to replace mining, they will always remain separate. Scrapping is primarily to get rid of something you don't want. Players already gain an insane amount of APs at higher Ranks.

You can already store artifacts in your cargo. Choosing what you will use now vs later and what you scrap is part of the strategy. Lets discuss ideas that streamline what is already there, rather than adding more complexity.

Makes sense. Lets look at this issue in a new perpsective.

Problem: A lot of low level artifacts filling up inventory space from artifact shipments.

That's what inspired my Warehouse idea because I get low value artifacts so frequently even though I keep my artifact shipment at 10,000+ points. For example, I get a lot of "weak" traps / booss (like 5% boost or redution) or probes that I never use like spy cargo and spy defeses.

Perhaps there should be some kind of quick way to scrap multiple artifacts at once? So if playes like myself log-in, see our 20,000+ artifact points maxed out, and do like 20+ shipments to get it down to 5,000 or lower. We'll have a lot of low level artifacts that we don't want or need.

So I was thinking, why don't we implement a checkbox next to each artifact in inventory, and a "Scrap all" button that will scrap all the checked artifacts? Should get rid of the artifact we don't need without clicking over and over. For those with a slow connection, it can be a total pain in the ass to scrap 20+ artifacts one by one.

Also, same idea for sending multiple artifacts to another player. Suppose someone wants some probes for PvP, or needs a bunch of traps to protect 3+ planets under attack, the checkbox can do that without hassle for those with fast and slow connections.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 am

I could see a compressor pod artifact. This artifact take X number of a single artifact and makes each one into .1 the space. Though until uncompressed they will not be able to be moved. To but they can be sent and scrapped all at once.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 am

I have to agree i usually play in the morning and my artifact counter is in the 20,000 range and i click on get a shipment and its just one low level thing after another. I know that better artifacts cost more points but what is the since of holding your points if all you get is just one useless item after another? It would be better if it picked the highest available from the list rather than something im just gonna scrap or give away

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Perhaps the artifacts could have the same shifting liklihood of getting higher-level stuff as with the minerals? For instance as you gain in rank, the chances of getting Dynite reduce, and the chances of getting Kurenite increase. What if this applied to artifacts? Obviously it would be based on the amount you have stored though.

It can be frustrating if you have a lot of AP's stored up, but the game is giving you nothing but probes from them. And that's happened to me on more than one occasion.

My folding@home stats :)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

anyone else notice a pretty steep trend in the appearance of Mass Storage Pods.... In the last month, I have received 19 of them....

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't know what the chances of receiving a particular artifact are, but maybe some sort of system where you could spend X,000 artifact points to increase your chance of receiving a rare artifact by X% for X hours. Lots of variables in this, but I for one wouldn't mind burning through accumulated points faster if it meant I had a better chance of receiving higher end items.

Could also be a useful tactic for mid level players to try and jump ahead of the game by scoring a good one early. Kind of how getting a Kurenite at low levels can carry you for a while.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 pm

+1 to paulfrick's idea. I am willing to spend 12,000 artifact points to make my next 6,000 become a terraformer!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 am

spend 3x artifact points for the right to chose an artifact maybe? I would love to chose mass storage pods or mass surface melters for a premium. Same with terraformers and quasi-spacial expanders.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:26 am

Mark W wrote:
spend 3x artifact points for the right to chose an artifact maybe? I would love to chose mass storage pods or mass surface melters for a premium. Same with terraformers and quasi-spacial expanders.

This actually makes sense in-character, as artifact points represent the effort spent searching for them. So it's like taking extra time looking for a specific item.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]