View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Planet class terraforming 

Hey all,

I've been thinking. With all the new artifacts coming out, I thought I'd add my ideas to the mix. I'd like some terraforming artifacts that actually change the class of the planet. I'm aware there are a few- the Gaia terraformer device, the Mass Ice Melter, the Dyson maker, and HyperTerraformer.

What I'm suggesting is to have continuity in terraforming.

Desert -> Ice -> Oceanic -> Terran -> Gaia

Barren -> Volcanic -> Toxic

Volcanic -> Metallic

Here's my artifact ideas:

1. Subzero Condensator. It condenses the moisture in the air and cools down the planet to keep the water on the surface.

+1 to all resources, changes Desert to Icy planet.

2. Tectonic Shaker. It simulates tectonic activity, creating volcanoes and new landmasses.

+1 to all resources, +1 to planet size. Changes Oceanic to Terran.

3. Core Heater. It heats up the planet's core, stimulating more lava flow, volcanic activity, and formation of metals as a byproduct.

+1 to all resources. Changes Barren to Volcanic.

4. Nano-Processor. It uses nanites to purify all the toxins in the atmosphere and the surface, making the planet much more livable.

+2 to planet size. No resource bonus. Changes Toxic to Terran.

5. Vulcanizer. It greatly accelerates volcanic activity, metal formation, and cools down the core because of that effect. The result is an abundance of metals, rare elements, and useful material on the planet.

+1 to all resources, +1 to planet size, and changes Volcanic to Metallic.

=======================

Thoughts? Discussion?

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm

I like the idea, but I think before something like this is implemented wed need more resource production increasers like Toxic Purifiers, or have the planetary types play more of a part in either the game as a whole, planetary production, or planetary defense. Otherwise something like this would only change the graphics.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:19 pm

I like these ideas a lot, and they sound like they really could be possible. +1 from me. I would love to make the dozens of barrens in my list better. Now my ideas for terraformers...
(when I think of one Ill edit or make a new post)

EDIT I started this post a while ago and stopped from submitting because of thinking of ideas. And now I saw Coth's post. I think we need planetary type traits before these also. I would love it if that was implemented into the game. It would make planet type mean something other than average resource level.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Cothordin wrote:
I like the idea, but I think before something like this is implemented wed need more resource production increasers like Toxic Purifiers, or have the planetary types play more of a part in either the game as a whole, planetary production, or planetary defense. Otherwise something like this would only change the graphics.

Note the increases in bonuses for my terraformer ideas- both resources and planet sizes, along the same lines of Gaia terraformer, Mass Ice Melter, and Hyperterraformers.

Thinking about your defense and bonus suggestion, here's a few I thought up.

Barren planet = No bonuses whatsoever. Its a dead world, after all.

Volcanic planet = +25% defense, +10% building costs. Hard to invade a hellish world, but expensive to build structures to withstand the environment.

Metallic planet = +50% extra mining. Metals are already formed, or in extreme abundance.

Toxic planet = +50% defense, +25% building costs. More harsh than Volcanic planets as everything is toxic. Invaders have a hard time, plus toxin-proof buildings and self-sealed enviroments are expensive. Think CDC level clean and quarantine stuff.

Desert planet = No bonuses whatsoever. Its a hard world to live on.

Icy planet = +10% artifacts, +10% research, +10% building costs. You can discover hidden stuff under the ice, but buildings need efficient heating systems which costs a bit extra.

Oceanic planet = +20% population, +20% research, and +10% defense. More hospitable, which means you can fit more people in it. Also scientists can research marine life, plate tectonics pre-continents, and so on. Oceanic worlds don't leave much land to stage invasion forces on, and makes it easier for defenders to defend what they have.

Terran planet = +50% population, +25% research, +25% artifacts, and +25% defense. Terran worlds are ideal for life and dense cities, and the concentration of population centers allows for more universities and labs and pool of scientists. There could be alien artifacts laying around, or the industrial output of the planet allows artifacts to be built quicker. Defending terran worlds are of utmost priority, and plenty of land to defend in like mountains, swamps, tundra, etc.

Gaia planet = +75% population, +35% research, +35% artifacts, and +35% defense. Same reasons as Terran planets, but as Gaia's are basically better quality Terrans.

Exotic planet = +50% mining and +75% research. Exotics are wonderful for research purposes, it being an exotic and unusual planet. You also find strange and unusual metals, minerals, and resources on Exotic planets (exotic matter for example), so mining is boosted.

Dysons = +200% population, +50% research, +50% artifacts, and +100% defense. Dysons are the ultimate planet. Beyond massive internal space means vastly more living space than even the best Terrans. Dysons can house trillions easily. The nature of the Dysons lend to high research and artifact returns, from researching the Dyson itself, more space for research labs, artifacts found within the Dyson, industrial juggernaut able to mass produce special equipment (thus, artifacts). Defense is increased quite a lot due to the nature of the Dyson being a hard shell. You would have to break into the shell to invade the inside of the Dyson, and Dysons can have shells easily thousands of miles thick.

The bonuses apply to what you already have, instead of just an increment as with resource availablity bonus.

For example, a Terran with 1x Mega Rich and 5 level 4 structures. The structures give +20 research (+4 per building), then multiply by 200%, meaning 60 research. Then the 25% research bonus is stacked on that score, bringing it up to 75 research. then apply the colony status to that- a Peaked colony would have 150 research.

Thoughts?

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 am

I think something along the lines of this would be perfect in addition to the former idea (former= any artifact that changes either a planet's type or resource production). Might need to be tweaked % wise but I have something to add as well.

From what I can tell youv sorta made a "tree" for Mining and Defensive.

Barren
V
Volcanic-------------------v
V V
Toxic(Defensive) Metallic(Mining).

Now you have Research and Artifact going had in hand, but what if there were to be separate "trees" for Research, Artifact, Offensive/Defensive (or split), and Cloaking? Using the artfact idea with all the new planet ideas there could be a tree or planet tiers for each planetary stat.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]