View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Races List 

DMDMDM wrote:
QCubed wrote:
HOWEVER you're wrong on one point Cloak's not what's keeping your planets hidden. I have scanned planets with over 1200 cloak during some of my scanning blitzes, which made me realize that Cloaking is probably pretty useless too. Now I only keep cloak on my largest most valuable planets, and hope it has some benefit, because I have flux probed nearly all of them and most of the ones I care about still show 0 other players. Several show players but I wouldn't care beyond the fun of having a fight to lose them so I don't flux them.

~Q

Then what is keeping your planets hidden ? I don't build anything defense/population/attack wise on any planets. Only cloak. This far I have 0 planets that are scanned besides the obvious ones that I conquered from players apparently idle. And that with 75, now 150 cloak on each planet, multiplied by legion bonus. Gotta count for something.

I'm sure it counts for something, but most enemy planets I've found are from scanning not hacking which is opposed to what nocifer was saying.

And I have found planets with 400 600 and 1200+ cloak on them, some or in legions we have NAPs with, some are on friends, some are on people who's rank is so high I couldn't begin to imagine the response XD in the end, it seems the majority of enemy planets I've found have cloak and a good deal of it.

Thus I stopped bothering to cloak anything except the best planets, and so far I'm still not losing them, it's a chance I'm taking a strategy that maximizes production at the risk of being discovered, but most of the planets that have no scanners would not bother me too much if I lost them, I have plenty of better ones in my data-banks to replace them with, and at this point I'm very picky about what planets I will even take in the first place.

As for "Why"? I can't be certain, but I imagine that the number of un-scanned planets in the universe helps a good deal. Also and this is a completely unfounded theory, but I think having some planets with less cloak might make them more likely to be found thereby making the ones WITH cloak less likely to be found, BUT that is a theory that would require the scanning mechanic's algorithm to act a certain way and no one knows how it actually functions except dan and his staff.

~Q

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Cloak means a lot Q. In fact it counts for more now since just having more scan than the planet has cloak is not enough, but now it's reduces the chance of you discovering it based on how much cloak it has vs your scan.

@Noc
No Noc I disagree having a separate structure bare for defenses vs production wouldn't be a good thing. I like how Dan has it set up with having to choose between more production, or better defense as a trade off. Basically all he realy needs to do is come out with another teir of defense and cloak mods for with planet structures available with those teirs. I'm sure he might be planning to in the future, but the problem to begin with is that it's easier to get scan then cloak already, plus he's come out with an extra teir for scan and increased the buffs you can get to it but nothing for cloak. Q Noc is simply pointing out what I already saw, ship attack is scaling, but planet cloak and defense isn't. Of course the problem is room on planets is already pre set as well where ship size isn't, so the structurs can't realy get much bigger either or it's just going to make planet defenses all but useless.

As per my original question though, If Konquuls can get their attack bonus to planet invasions, why shouldn't I get my Aerlene bonus to planet defense. If it's too overpowered for me to get the bonus to my planets, then it's likewise too overpowered for him to have it as well.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 pm

silentknight wrote:
As per my original question though, If Konquuls can get their attack bonus to planet invasions, why shouldn't I get my Aerlene bonus to planet defense. If it's too overpowered for me to get the bonus to my planets, then it's likewise too overpowered for him to have it as well.

What about the other races? What kind of planetary bonuses would they get to maintain a somewhat level playing field?

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

non. Thats the perks of being konquul and aerlene, although in the terms of advantages I'd say it definately leans heavily on konquul since defense for planets realy only usefull if you know the planet is going to be attacked. The other get other bonuses. Explorers get a bonus to scan which makes it easier to find planets to begin with. Vygoid get a boost to research production and excavators get a boost to artifact production

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:56 am

Silent knight, you're talking at the same thing as I am. But I can tell you, from scanning blitzes, I have received co-ordinates to Dysonian planets with 1200 cloak without even being to sensors which require kurite to apply. Meanwhile people rarely find one of my own planets, meaning that the value of the cloak is not so great as the value of production especially as scanners scale up so high but cloaks do not, and meanwhile cloak takes up a lot of planet space.

I don't know how the mechanic works well enough ( and neither do you for that matter) to say with any certainty what role cloak plays exactly in the chances of your planet being found, but I IMAGINE the mechanic may work something like this:

%chance to find a planet = displayed (displays 99 even when there is a 100% chance of finding one, so lets assume 100% chance of finding one)

chances planet found = 100

Chances it's unoccupied/occupied seem to be 50/50

so chance it's occupied = 50%

Chances it's enemy occupied verses friend or legion occupied seem to be skewed towards enemy, but then again there are MANY MANY enemy players out there and so I think this is probably not calculated separately, simply picked from enemy planets. (The only way I can think to spade this would be to friend approximately 10% of the game's players, and keep on scanning as much as possible to see if the ratio works out..)

Now again this is all conjecture but the planet which is chosen either picks a player or picks a planet directly, if it picks a player, then it will show you a planet of theirs with a roll based off cloak, meaning it's best to keep planets without cloak and some with cloak to make the ones without cloak more likely to be found than the ones with cloak.

if it picks a planet from the full list, then you should be most likely to be ending up with weakly cloaked planets from weakly cloaked players, anything with 300 or more let alone 1200 cloak would be extremely rare considering the number of players in small legions or no legion at all who may not even be putting cloak on their planets, the numbers of occupied planets with very little cloak are very very abundant I would imagine from what I have seen.

However if scan were a form of anti-cloak which is supposed to make it more likely to see a planet which is heavily cloaked you should end up with planets in the 600 or greater range more often because then scan would be 'defeating' cloak.

In both of these scenarios, since scan is just a method for having a chance to find a planet cloaks role is somewhat superfluous, and only really useful on your best planets, and only 'just so' so you should never put too much cloak unless the planet is incredibly worthwhile.

either is possible. Other options are too. these seem most likely considering the number of planets I've scanned and the results I've seen, int he end only Dan knows for sure..

-Q

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:12 am

When you scan for a planet the % chance is strictly that, your chances of finding any planet, owned or not. I'm guessing if you pass the roll the computer just picks a planet at random out of the galaxy that you have discovered. However, if that planet is controlled by a player, then there's other steps you have to go through if it has cloak on it.

Dan hasn't confirmed this yet I don't think, but it's speculated that planet rolls are a 2 roll system when the planet has cloak. One roll to find a planet, then, if the planet has cloak on it, another roll that is adjusted based on your scan power versus the planet's cloak value. This is why you can have a 99% chance of discovering a planet, but fail 20% of the time. All those fails were nice planets already colonized and cloaked well by the owners. What Dan HAS confirmed a couple months back when he made the change, is that your % of finding a cloaked planet is in fact based on your scan value vs the planets cloak. Originally it was simply if you had more scan than the planet had cloak you simply found the planet. Now there's a chance you will fail, based on the cloak value of the planet, which does make cloak a lot more valuable. Basically what I'm saying is that even this value will decrease as scan goes higher and higher.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 am

This has nothing to do with cloak, but how long does the Genetarr's 50% reduction of NPC attack last? And is it stackable?

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am

Fralo wrote:
This has nothing to do with cloak, but how long does the Genetarr's 50% reduction of NPC attack last? And is it stackable?

Good Q.. Anyone know?

Also I have a Q to A:

I'm Vygoid, and we get a 20% bonus to research, how come that is ONLY from planets, and not from ships we kill and Alien data disks we scan? Most other races have universal bonuses that effect income no matter what provided it..

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:00 am

QCubed wrote:
Fralo wrote:

Good Q.. Anyone know?

Also I have a Q to A:

I'm Vygoid, and we get a 20% bonus to research, how come that is ONLY from planets, and not from ships we kill and Alien data disks we scan? Most other races have universal bonuses that effect income no matter what provided it..

I'm a Vygoid too, and this is how I see it:
1. research from NPCs are not our own (we are stealing it) so we don't get a bonus (same way with research from missions).
2. Alien Data disks are the same. It is research that we did not make ourselves, and OOC the disks are an artifact-to-research 1:1 ratio (and are balanced that way).
3. Our research bonus also includes scientists, so 5 more scientists grant 6 more research per hour.
4. The bonuses from other races have been specifically balanced because research is one of the most defining features of the game. Nearly all technology not granted by missions and NPCs are controlled by your research input.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:15 pm

zophah wrote:
QCubed wrote:
Fralo wrote:

Good Q.. Anyone know?

Also I have a Q to A:

I'm a Vygoid too, and this is how I see it:
1. research from NPCs are not our own (we are stealing it) so we don't get a bonus (same way with research from missions).
2. Alien Data disks are the same. It is research that we did not make ourselves, and OOC the disks are an artifact-to-research 1:1 ratio (and are balanced that way).
3. Our research bonus also includes scientists, so 5 more scientists grant 6 more research per hour.
4. The bonuses from other races have been specifically balanced because research is one of the most defining features of the game. Nearly all technology not granted by missions and NPCs are controlled by your research input.

Honestly, I think XP is a bite more 'defining' and Human - 10% bonus to all experience gains gets it's bonus applied to experience gained by any sort, and Vyjoid does not say 'all research gains it's true but it does say research games. Scientists are essentially part of your planetary research by the by. Also Research stops paying off later in the game, as compared with artifacts, npcs, and XP.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Good point.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Guys is there a list anywhere of what race can be what profession including the newer "unlockable" races?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Let's not forget the races you can unlock:
These are ones that you can look forword to unlocking

Zolazin - If you are a Zolazin you have a boost of 40% Cloak, AND it has a Profession that allows you to Destroy one standard defense or attack structure at random on an enemy planet.The planet must recently be attacked with 100 or fewer population.(Has no effect on 'Unique' Structures.) every 8 hours

Drannik - Becoming this race gives you a 40% increase to attack against NPC's.

Lazuli - The Lazuli provide a 50% bonus to hull integrity.

Genetarr - The Genetarr have the 'Mind Influence' ability, which can be used against any NPC, lowering their attack by 50%. It has a 30 minute cooldown

Taltherian - The Taltherians have the 'Urbanize' ability. It increases the artifact production of the planet by 1, and has a 40 hour cooldown

Zolazin - Playable after completing The Zolazin Truce mission

Drannik - Playable after completion of A Pact with the Drannik. This mission is the last in the Drannik Mission chain, which begins with The Drannik Extinction, and becomes available at Rank 185.

Lazuli - Playable after completing Lazuli Independence missions, starting mission is A Syndicate Trap which is available at rank 190

Genetarr - Playable after completing Seal of the Genetarr mission which is available on completion of stryll mission arc.

Taltherian - Playable after completing Taltherian Renewal mission arc, starts with Empty Arrival

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

This is the page ont he wiki which shows all races and associated bonuses. I fleshed out he Drannik Chain and put the info in myself =)

http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php/Races

-Q

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Does the Sha'din missions unlock a new race? I think some people have finished the saga, and I was wondering if somebody could say. It's not on the wiki yet.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:51 pm

This isnt a races list D: I dont see White,Native American,African American,Chinese or Japanese :P

Champions of Time: Kronyn Builder : Rank 463

Sat May 28, 2011 1:29 am

DMDMDM wrote:
QCubed wrote:
HOWEVER you're wrong on one point Cloak's not what's keeping your planets hidden. I have scanned planets with over 1200 cloak during some of my scanning blitzes, which made me realize that Cloaking is probably pretty useless too. Now I only keep cloak on my largest most valuable planets, and hope it has some benefit, because I have flux probed nearly all of them and most of the ones I care about still show 0 other players. Several show players but I wouldn't care beyond the fun of having a fight to lose them so I don't flux them.

~Q

Then what is keeping your planets hidden ? I don't build anything defense/population/attack wise on any planets. Only cloak. This far I have 0 planets that are scanned besides the obvious ones that I conquered from players apparently idle. And that with 75, now 150 cloak on each planet, multiplied by legion bonus. Gotta count for something.

I put 0 cloak on mine, except as a secondary effect, so at most 80, and the only planet I have had attacked is a Mega Colossal I stole from a rank 139, which I guarded successfully. I reckon that unless your going to flux 'em, put defenses on planets you conquered. Thing is it's starting to be a bad thing that I've never had a planet stolen... I want to get rid over everything extremely abundant and down, and small and down, so all of those are unguarded, but none of the newbs are scanning 'em.

Sun May 29, 2011 7:56 am
Profile WWW

thunderbolta wrote:
DMDMDM wrote:
QCubed wrote:

~Q

I put 0 cloak on mine, except as a secondary effect, so at most 80, and the only planet I have had attacked is a Mega Colossal I stole from a rank 139, which I guarded successfully. I reckon that unless your going to flux 'em, put defenses on planets you conquered. Thing is it's starting to be a bad thing that I've never had a planet stolen... I want to get rid over everything extremely abundant and down, and small and down, so all of those are unguarded, but none of the newbs are scanning 'em.

That rank 139 must've been the biggest fool in the game, my megacollosal has 20k defence. pylons , shifters and all. always artifact buffed with sentrys, repulsor, serums, trapped etcetc

Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 am
Profile WWW

His mega colossal had, uh, 450 defense and um, 0 attack? I had it for almost a month before I fluxed it. I equipped it with 600 attack and defense, which I doubled up when he tried to take it.
It now has:
2 space elevators
2 phase cutters
2 spy uplinks
Interrogation Center
Quantum Hydro Meliorator III
Sillix Star port
Refining Lab
Counter Intelligence Nexus
Relay Tower

and that's for specials! For standard structures...

Hypersphere Habitat,
4 regional shields
4 quantum minefields
4 deep scan harmonizers.
Shroud Satelites (This is the only planet I have this on)

Let's get back on topic now, races...

I am aiming for talitherian to improve. ^ although Mylari would be nice as mining is it's weakest stat (ex. abundant)

Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

No offence, thunderbolta but when i find you... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sun May 29, 2011 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next