View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Formula for damage cap 

Is there a certain formula of attack needed per level to be able to do the max damage against npc's ?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:07 pm

i think its:

(Max Damage in a Single Shot) = (NPC Rank) * 2.5,

(not sure if this takes the NPC's Defence into account though)

I could be wrong though, as there are only a few NPC's i can hit the cap with, but on those it does follows along this formula

Leader of SSA (Shayfield Shadow Alliance)

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 am

Re-read the question again, please.

Im not sure if this will help. I was normally at around 8-10 x npc def and I was hitting for near max damage. Not exactly sure how to explain it properly, never have been much use at explaining things.

If you have a look for binaryman's posts Im sure he has something there that will explain the whole thing. In essense the closer you get to doing max damage the more attack you need ie if you double your attack, you wont double the damage that you do to the npc. This is because of the damage caps, the closer you get to capping the exponetially higher attack you need.

Also because the caps/def is different for each npc, you might cap on 1 or 2 but you wont cap on them all.

@rank 810 with a buffed 35~k npc att you can hit assassins for mostly 5, sometimes 6 shots. You will cap out on Flamehawks at roughly 22~k.

Lastly, I always followed the rule of r*35=att(buffed npc) and that never failed me.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:01 am

If you just want to hit the DC, all you need to do is make tanh([.6 to 1/.6]*NPC Attack/(5*NPC's Defense)) go to one and the attack needed for that is on average is 14x NPC defense.

the formula for the min hits is (Hull+Shield)/Damage cap= MH

because the damage cap is not always needed to be hit in order to get the MH, ie flamehawks have 6200 Hull + shields and have a damage cap of 1000, you only need to average 886 per hit. So once you solve for the MH, you can calculate the average damage needed per hit as such

(Hull+Shield)/MH= average damage needed (ADN)

The formula for damage dealt is DC*tanh([.6 to 1/.6]*NPC Attack/(5*NPC's Defense))

solve for attack and you get:
attack= atanh(ADN/DC)*5*NPC defense*[.6 to 1/.6] I just use one for the average to simplify it to
attack= atanh(ADN/DC)*5*NPC defense

the defense, hull and shield formulas for NPCs are on the wiki and the ADN varies for each NPC, but if you are looking for the maximum just use assassin's they have the most health and highest defense, except for dark iso-runners

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 am

Too...much...maths...

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:48 am

Epicownage wrote:
Too...much...maths...

Dam right, most people wont understand it.

Just go for 35x your rank in npc att and you will hit most with the min of shots. Dont forget that the higher rank you are the easier npcing gets.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:06 pm

bobdebouwer wrote:
Epicownage wrote:
Too...much...maths...

Just go for 35x your rank in npc att and you will hit most with the min of shots. Dont forget that the higher rank you are the easier npcing gets.

If only PvP was that way...

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 pm

bobdebouwer wrote:
Epicownage wrote:
Too...much...maths...

that doesn't always work...especially for assassins. It is enough with 11xrank in energy to autorank I will grant that, but it is not what he was asking.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:41 pm

@ 35-40x your rank, you can hit assassins in 5 hits, doesnt matter whether your auto ranking or not. Any more than 40x though is just a waste imo.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:49 pm

bobdebouwer wrote:
@ 35-40x your rank, you can hit assassins in 5 hits, doesnt matter whether your auto ranking or not. Any more than 40x though is just a waste imo.

at rank 715 I would need 43x to hit 6, since min hits is 5. At his rank it might be true, but it is not the answer to his question.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm

True but whats easier to understand, 1 simple multiplication or 1 long constantly variable equation? I would say 99.9% of the people that read/have read this would say the former.

And before you say yet again that my answer doesnt answer his question, I never said that it did, even in my original post. However, it does allow the majority of people to understand what they should aim for it they want to maximize damage, although not necesarily cap out.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]