View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Best Ship Design for NPC Hunting 

I was wondering if there a optimal ship design for npc hunting. My current ship right now is...

Size Class: Deadnaught
Decks: 557
Attack: 1095
Defense: 482
Scan: 176

Weapons
Light Singularity Launcher x4
Vortul Blast Phaser x1
Crimson Auto-Phaser x3
Psionic Amplifier x1
Dominion Cannon x1
Prototype Mech XV x1
Energy
Dark Energy Core x3
Genetarr Transmitter - Mark II x1
Omicron Injector x1
Hull
Reactive Q-Phased Plating x3
Mylarai Plasma Lance x2
Vortul Plating x1
Shields
T.O. Harmonic MegaPulser x2
Q-Phase Battery Array x1
Harmonic Resonator x1
Cloaking
Bio-Signature Scrambler x1
Defenses
Phase Shift Engine - Mark III x1
Dark Ring Thruster x1
Thrust Stabilizer x1

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

"Optimal" really depends on your research and modules. I personally prioritise my modules in this order for combat:

1. Weapons
2. Defences
3. Energy
4. Shields
5. Hull
6. Scanners
7. Cloak

The reason behind this is as follows:

1. Weapons cause damage. More weapons means more damage. More damage means fewer attacks needed to kill an NPC. Fewer attacks means you can plough through NPCs faster. So weapons always have priority for me.

2. Defences reduce the damage you take before it hits you. More defence means you can last longer. Hull costs money to repair and shields take time. Equipping defence modules therefore saves you both money and time.

3. Energy should be a priority no matter what you're doing. More specifically, always keep your relays equipped. When your max energy gets too low start equipping power cores. The more energy you have for fighting, the longer you can keep going. And the faster your energy recharges, the sooner you can return to battle (And if you run out of energy during a boss fight, those few seconds saved by your relays could be the difference between you locking in on a reward, or not).

4. Shields stop your hull taking damage. And they repair automatically for free. Plus the more shields you have, the faster they will recharge over time, because they repair as a percentage rather than a set amount. So having more shields means you can both last longer in battle, and can return to it sooner.

5. Hull is more space efficient than shields, but you have to pay to repair. At your level this repair cost is a tiny amount, but the amount increases as you rank up. I'm almost triple your level, and it's very expensive for me to repair, so shields are a higher priority to me.

6. Scanners increase your chances of finding rare enemies, since a select few of them have cloak. Scanners also increase your chances of scoring critical hits. In reality, the amount of cloak that NPC's have is low, and the critical hit chances aren't really understood, so we don't know how big a difference they make. But every advantage is an advantage.

7. Cloak works in the opposite way to scanners. It protects you against enemy critical hits. But again, the critical hit chances aren't really understood, so we don't know how big a difference they make. But every advantage is an advantage.

Since you're level 107, which is about a third of my rank, I can tell you that hull and shield will have different priorities though; at your level, repairing is cheap and shields are weak, so hull wins out over shield. So for you, I would follow my priorities, but swap shields and hull in priority, with hull at 4 and shields at 5.

My folding@home stats :)

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

for npcing ide say importence is energy, hull and attack, then about 250 scan then smome defense

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:31 am

personally, i prioritized scanners and cloak over defense because i can see the difference in critical hits and negative critical hits on me. plus i get enough defense from my androids and dark aefenses. If you are managing to get around 1-2 android helmsmen a day, i suggest you do the same. For me, the priorities are

-Attack
-Energy
-Hull
-Scanners
-Cloak
-Defenses
-Shields

8 cannons are obviously a must when NPC hunting. energy is crucial because th emore you have the more you can kill. relays are crucial to hunting, as i noticed you didnt have any equipped. ALWAYS always always have relays, you can kill twice as many npcs because your energy charges twice as fast. hull takes priority to shields because it can be recharged instantly and since you dont have expensive buildings yet credits are plentiful for you. from here on its just personal preference, but scanners get more elites and better chance of criticals (i do 375+ damage per hit with scanners, 265+ without), cloak gives a better chance of negative criticals (reduces damage by over half for me), but if you want concrete stats then go with defenses. Shields are absolute last priority because they take a long time to charge to the point of being useful at your level, and cannot be recharged instantly without an artifact.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:51 am

Also keep in mind... having proper Artifacts will make NPC experience smoother. So you may wanna stack a good amount of those artifacts by asking or trading... if necessary... steal or beg for it! lol!! :lol:

The Dark Justice, assisting New Ship Members w/Everyday Even Strong Artifacts Payout

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

i like it i might use it

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

my load out specs (177)
attack-focus on getting heavy singularities then stop on weapons for a while i use 8 of tehm bc its far cheaper than spending 2 weeks or more to research antimatter.
energy- get to dark core then halt ( if u can) isomorphic repeaters are ur best friend at this point)
HULL- i have mk3 neutronium hull so when all my hull and modules are on i have 7.5k (buffed) which is a great deal.
defence- get at least 700 and you will be able to farm ANY non boss npc at a very good rate.
shields- if u get all of the above then get shields.
cloak- npc= not needed much
scan- npc= not needed much ( if u have the above)

also try to use w/e arti's u have to boost ur hull and attack up i run around 7.5k hull and 2.4k attack and i eat most npc's as a light snack. also i have a ton of energy so i can stay at it longer than most (with a neural and rsl i lvl a ton)
a side bonus is if your ship has 2k attack most players will stop after 1-2 hits if they trip a trap otehrwise when they have 3-4 hits on u they call it quits

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 pm

get scan before shield: the higher your scan the better the npc's

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 am

sgtlynch wrote:
get scan before shield: the higher your scan the better the npc's

yeah, scan and cloak do take a toll in reducing damage to you and upping damage to enemies. shields are dead last in NPC hunting unless you can amass 11k on your ship. thats when they start getting useful.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 am

Ok, here's some things I do when I'm going after NPC's which at rank 163 I've been doing more often than spending energy on missions.

Buffs: Use them! that's what they're for. All those things that add +5%, +10% dmg, things like that... they can all be used at the same time. If you're unloading at least 4/5 of your tank, you may want to use the exp disco ball.

Energy and leveling: As a rule, you're going to earn around 3 exp for every point of energy you spend. That's because of exp rewards when you
get killshots. So if you think you're going to be close to level, watch your exp bar so you don't level by accident with your relays on.

Weapons: Always switch everything on. The only exception to this is if you have weapons that lower your energy cap. Be careful not to switch them on until you've fired the energy off. Very similar to a relay.

Defenses: They're going to extend your firing time between repairs, not speed up the killing. You should have as much defense as you can wedge in around your cannons. If your shields are drained and you're chain-repairing your hull, turn the shields completely off for the hunt duration. That space isn't doing you any good anyways. Consider throwing up more armor plating, even if it's only temporary.

Cloak: This is the first thing I switch off when I need space to go shooting. While it does protect you against crits, the numbers are still a mystery to us.

Scanning: Keep as much scanning up as you can wedged around your defenses and weapons. Every critical hit you can fire is that much more energy available to shoot in the long run.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]