View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Getting multi-raided 

I'm not sure what to do. Here's what happened.

Someone in my legion alerted a planet which had been practically decimated. I decided to invade it, and took it. Easy green, the planet had no defence on it - which is weird considering it was a 11x mega rich.

Anyway, the player decided to retaliate which was expected. But I didn't expect to be multi-raided just for taking someone's planet, especially since they made no effort to put ANY defence on it at all. Also, there's nothing stopping him from taking the planet back since he's rank 749 (I'm only rank 336).

Question is: do I just suck it up, and put up with it for the next 2 days? Or is this a serious case of really bad sportsmanship?

I mean, I have no qualms badging players - but I stop at 1 of each badge, and I'll avoid badging someone even two days in a row. I know etiquette doesn't have to be followed, and I know we are free to do as we please. But if everyone went around with absolutely no sportsmanship at all, the game would fall apart very quickly.

It's pretty obvious he's not doing it for the badges - you only get 1 of each per day, or something like that. He's also not doing it for the resources, as I'm guessing he gets tons per hours anyway, so he's doing it pretty much to drain me. Like I said, we all play the game how we like, but why does a rank 749 let someone like me who's only rank 336 get under his skin so much that he feels the need to multi-raid?

I won't name him, but he's in the Chesterton Royal Academy, which is a legion I considered joining a very long time ago. I've no idea what kind of code CRA has, but at Decendants of Altair, we don't go around multi-attacking people. Heck, I've lost 4 planets but I just put it down to me being too dumb to put defences up when I should have done.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am

Stay disabled and flux the planet. It's his fault for not protecting it.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 am

squodge wrote:
Someone in my legion alerted a planet which had been practically decimated. I decided to invade it, and took it. Easy green, the planet had no defence on it - which is weird considering it was a 11x mega rich.

Many players will zero a ship for a planet invasion. Just because the planet did not have any defenses on it doesn't mean he wants it stolen. Sure, it's easy pickings, but you are still open to retaliation.

#1 in GL... and in your heart

ImageImage

Top 50 in Battles
Top 10 in Kills, Raids, Hacks and Medal Points
Officer in Empire of the Sun

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 am

I've stayed disabled, but I can still be multi-raided. I did some PVP fairly recently, so my actions is still pretty high.

I understand that people will retaliate... but multi-raiding till I have no artifact production left? Isn't that bordering on OCD on his part?

When I lost my 4 planets, I just said to myself, "Oh well, my damn fault for not putting up obviation shields - lesson learned". I mean, sure, I raided and hacked the players, but I didn't see the point of doing it multiple times - I got a few badges out of it, moved on.

Is it purely because a rank 749 can burn his testosterone more easily with someone like me who's just rank 336?

I guess I'll just have to sit out the 2 day timer so I fall of his radar, and he won't see me ever again unless someone of a lower rank from his legion happens to spot me and alerts me lol.

EDIT: I have 24 raid actions left on ship, and he seems to get about 500 art per raid, so I have to expect to lose 12k+ arti.

Last edited by squodge on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
Suck it up; thats what happens when you steal a planet. Expect to be zeroed for 2 days, hopefully that will be the end of it - I don't know how, but some players seem to be able to keep a link to your ship indefinitely.

I've been zeroed for multiple days over less than a planet (for CMing someone); and I've zeroed people myself for taking a planet. I try to zero someone's hack counter whenever possible if they have a halc set. I think whats happening to you is in the realm of "fair play" until you drop off his news alert. Still getting beat up after that is crossing a line as far as I'm concerned (not that my opinion means anything).

Last edited by PLURVIOUS on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am

PLURVIOUS wrote:
...but some players seem to be able to keep a link to your ship indefinitely.

If the player is a programmer that is. I have tried out keeping the players' link for a while. I think usually in 2-3 hours, the page automatically refreshes and reloads, losing the player you had targeted.

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Suck it up

I agree with him on that one :). You have no choice. :P

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
Back when I was lowbie, several Pirates of the Cove players had some way of keeping a link to my ship - it went on for weeks.

(which is why I still zero PoC on site when I see them on my BT - not very often because they are halced up like the cowards they are all the time)

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 am

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Back when I was lowbie, several Pirates of the Cove players had some way of keeping a link to my ship - it went on for weeks.

(which is why I still zero PoC on site when I see them on my BT - not very often because they are halced up like the cowards they are all the time)

LOL, that made me laugh. If I see any Pirates of the Cove, I'll be sure to zap them a little ;)

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 am

They lost a lot, I think they have other things to worry about now, like fixing themselves and maybe decrease the number of haters so everyone doesn't get kicked again lol.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 am

Trion wrote:
They lost a lot, I think they have other things to worry about now, like fixing themselves and maybe decrease the number of haters so everyone doesn't get kicked again lol.

Well, I feel bad for whoever joins them. I will be zeroing said player(s) one day.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 am

When you take a planet, drop a debuff on a planet, use your saboteur ability on a planet, or even trip a trap on a planet, you are in for retaliation. When you lose a planet, would you rather give someone the impression that they can steal from you with nothing more than three badges, or would you like them to be genuinely worried of critical hacks and the likes? It's completely normal "etiquette" to make every attempt to have the perpetrator regret his move, though honestly, would you prefer a nice planet or a handful of minerals, credits, artifact points, and research (which may I note, are not even valuable enough to make up for the Time Manipulators spent)?

Tl;Dr: Suck it up, and move along with your new planet

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:38 am

Doesn't matter if your rank 20 and you steal a planet, if it was mine I would zero you for 2 days anyway ( unless you were doing me a favor by taking a crappy planet). It also doesn't matter if you're 450 ranks higher than me, I'm still going to zero you plain and simple.

Why you guys gotta be so silly?

webguydan wrote:
They already have names. Sehrin, Anubix, etc.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 am

I would suck it up for the 2 days if it were me. Also, every action in this game has a potential reaction. If it isn't worth it, don't take it. Planet thieves tend to get zeroed or at least disabled depending on rank comparison. Hope this helps your situation.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:53 am

You might want to suck it up because it only gets worse. Players will zero your actions to pad their stats.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:12 am
Profile WWW

Bottom line - You steal a planet expect to get zeroed. End of story. I know others have already said as much. I mostly just wanted to see my banner again.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 am

squodge wrote:
I know etiquette doesn't have to be followed, and I know we are free to do as we please. But if everyone went around with absolutely no sportsmanship at all, the game would fall apart very quickly.

There is no standard etiquette or undebated PVP rule book out there, but the most widely agreed view on PVP is that planet thefts (even attempts/aiding invasions) are worthy of zeroings. Doesn't matter what the planet is or how well it was defended, it doesn't matter what the rank difference between thief and victim is, a zeroing is fair play in most people's view.

Honestly, I zero ships for showing up on my BT with lots of actions when I'm not TM locked, so I have a pretty broad view of what's sporting (basically comes down to two things, be civil on comms, and don't use debuffs to harass), but even my staunchest opponents in the debates on PVP don't frown on a solid zeroing after a planet theft.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 am

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I will suck it up - lesson learned :)

I guess I'll just not bother taking planets any more, unless I am almost certain the player is inactive and not in a legion (or in an inactive legion).

I understand why this player is doing what he's doing - mainly because he can. I've had planets stolen before, and I didn't bother to try to take them back or even get revenge. From my perspective, I see heavy-handed retaliation as a pyrrhic victory.

He can carry on raiding me dry, doesn't bother me now. Being such high rank, he's probably got hundreds of time manipulators so I doubt he's mourning their loss.

But as a warning to other players, do NOT take a planet from some in Chesterton Royal Academy. They will definitely whoop your sorry a$$!!

EDIT: He's zeroed me now, so at least the raiding and hacking will stop until my actions counter resets.
One of his hacks failed, and I got one of his planets - definitely NOT taking that o.O
And one of his hacks was a critical success - so I'm expecting one of my planets to disappear soon. The positive is that planets are replaceable :)

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:14 am

You're effectively letting the person zeroing you accomplish their goal if you choose not to go for their planets in the future.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 am

Yeah Squodge, everyone is totally right about expecting to be zeroed for planet thefts, but as iDaze mentioned, your conclusion is wrong.

Take any good planets you can, flux them (if they're worth it) and then suck it up and wait out the onslaught.
Clear your arti, flux probe your good planets after critical hacks and laugh when it's all over, while you sit in a nice new planet for only a little lost production :)

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 am

Deigobene wrote:
Yeah Squodge, everyone is totally right about expecting to be zeroed for planet thefts, but as iDaze mentioned, your conclusion is wrong.

Take any good planets you can, flux them (if they're worth it) and then suck it up and wait out the onslaught.
Clear your arti, flux probe your good planets after critical hacks and laugh when it's all over, while you sit in a nice new planet for only a little lost production :)

I see your point, and I guess it's my own fault for taking the planet in the first place when it was always going to be difficult holding onto it - although weirdly he's not bothered to take it back, not sure why as it's 11x mega rich mining.

But I understand now that the loss of production is minor in the grand scheme of things :)
Was it really worth his while to use 60+ time manipulators to take production when he probably gets the same amount in just an hour?
And also, since he can easily take back the planet, it seems like overkill to take production (which is tiny amount to him) - perhaps I'm just too soft, and need to become more kamikaze?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next