View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Official Recurring Lag Thread 

Bleepin wrote:
At The moment, we are experiencing system wide Lag. Confirmed through multiple legions. Not slight lag, but pages wont load type lag. No refresh possible.

We've got it throughout the Empire and basing crew, seems to be back at work now however.

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 am

I don't know if it is just me or others just haven't noticed because they don't do as many scan runs as I do. But I have been getting a large lag while scanning for planets and I am not talking the normal 3-5 seconds between planets I am talking 5-25 seconds sometimes more between planets scans.

Zane level 28th alert was a 26x artifact Dyson

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
16 Oct 2013, 21:11 GST, Added some buffs and started an NPC run. Got hit with severe lag when I was about 8% into a Sha'din Hyperport

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 am

Right now, I can't do a single thing, can't switch from tab to tab

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:36 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
17 Oct 2013, 19:19 GST, Hit lag while NPCing, just after getting my 4th (finally) Bane emitter.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:21 am

Daily lag... Always at 03:04 GST.

Devastation - Rank 1209 - Proud Officer of Imperium of Namalak

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:05 am

Devastation wrote:

that's the daily backup for the servers.

I had a spike while adding rank points, 2 min long at 9:21-9:23

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Wolfy Minion wrote:
Devastation wrote:

that's the daily backup for the servers.

I had a spike while adding rank points, 2 min long at 9:21-9:23

It really shouldn't interfere with gameplay. I'd look into it further if I were Dan.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:11 pm

did an npc run today, hit lag at random intervals when attacking npc's (blue bar would take forever).

Time was around 16:00:00-17:00:00 GST

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 am

Having extreme lag just now. It's only GL, nothing else.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:06 am

Just now (at about 23:20 GST), hit lag so bad I can't even change tabs. Yes, it's GL only, no other sites. I was doing some light NPC at the time.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:23 am

Dan,

Pretty consistently, I'm getting far more lag when using my Chromebook versus Chrome on my PC/Windows Laptop. Both devices are on the same wireless router that is uses the same Comcast high speed connection. I had them both side by side clicking and the chromebook was lagging while the laptop wasn't. I hope this is some insight into the lag problem. It looks like maybe a GL design issue that is exacerbated more by something on the Chromebook.

The lagging is only on GL, not any other site. Usually, my Chromebook is faster than Chrome on my laptop on internet pages, especially the pages with resource-intensive content (web controls, Microsoft Office Web apps, etc). I like to use the Chromebook when doing scan runs because its about twice as fast refreshing the planet list between successfull scans.

Anyone who wants to apply blame to my Chromebook or my ISP needs to understand that the Chromebook is working (in fact, very quickly) on other non-GL sites. Both computers work wonderfully on all other sites - GL is the one and only site that lags, and it happens to lag much worse on a Chromebook versus a PC on the exact same network.

Dan, I hope you can use this insight with some technical details of how Chrome on a Chromebook would behave differently than Chrome on Windows (same site, same network, same ISP) to narrow down the cause of Lag.

EDIT: all the "I'm a computer expert" folk out there, feel free to chime in also - in the hopes that Dan sees something that eventually leads to a resolution of lag.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:51 am

Nice one Plurv, I think the more info Dan has, the better, in terms of troubleshooting the problem.
Good call with the side by side testing.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 am

My bet is the RAM consumption from GL overwhelms the Chromebook.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:40 am

ICBLF wrote:
My bet is the RAM consumption from GL overwhelms the Chromebook.

Could be something like that (Chromebook is "lightweight" in terms of a full laptop or PC), but I use the Chromebook a lot with GL and Microsoft Office Web apps (very javascript/client intensive) because it is faster on webpages. When doing a scan run, the Chromebook takes about half the time as my laptop when refreshing the planet list. I guess RAM could "build up" over an NPC run? and that would explain why one device (the one with less RAM) would lag, but that doesn't explain why sometimes there is lag and sometimes not. The Chromebook works great on GL when it's not lagging, so there's more to the equation. If it is just an issue of RAM, that would mean sometimes GL uses more RAM than other times (doing the same activity) - that doesn't seem right, but maybe that is the case ? Dan?

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Soon after posting this, I started getting lag-like behavior on another game. I noticed, eventually, that the lag seemed to be correlated with the number of mouse clicks, with more clicks causing more lag. I haven't noticed it on other sites because they don't require the excessive amounts of clicking. It turns out that I can cause my Chromebook to lag on any site if I sit and click things like I would do in GL. Can't do the same on the laptop, though - it doesn't seem to be effect by mad clicking.

I think it's the mouse itself somehow causing it, at least on the Chromebook. If I use the trackpad, the lag is not as bad. Sometimes I use the trackpad, and sometimes I use a BluieTooth wireless mouse. I Googled it, and I guess BlueTooth can interfere with WiFi. I know this only adds to the complication, but I really think that the "lag" on my Chromebook is due to excessive clicking over Bluetooth interfereing with the Wifi signal

It doesn't explain why the wifi on my laptop is not affected by the nearby mouse (I've tried to get it to interfere and I can't - seems like a Chromebook problem), but its some new info that may help.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Soon after posting this, I started getting lag-like behavior on another game. I noticed, eventually, that the lag seemed to be correlated with the number of mouse clicks, with more clicks causing more lag. I haven't noticed it on other sites because they don't require the excessive amounts of clicking. It turns out that I can cause my Chromebook to lag on any site if I sit and click things like I would do in GL. Can't do the same on the laptop, though - it doesn't seem to be effect by mad clicking.

I think it's the mouse itself somehow causing it, at least on the Chromebook. If I use the trackpad, the lag is not as bad. Sometimes I use the trackpad, and sometimes I use a BluieTooth wireless mouse. I Googled it, and I guess BlueTooth can interfere with WiFi. I know this only adds to the complication, but I really think that the "lag" on my Chromebook is due to excessive clicking over Bluetooth interfereing with the Wifi signal

It doesn't explain why the wifi on my laptop is not affected by the nearby mouse (I've tried to get it to interfere and I can't - seems like a Chromebook problem), but its some new info that may help.

Looks like Dan may need to simplify clicks then...

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 am

playret0195x wrote:

...or instead of Dan drastically altering the game mechanics, maybe try a standard RF-based USB cordless mouse instead of Bluetooth.

My much more tech-based and hardcore gaming friends have always warned me off bluetooth devices like this because of the inherent risk of lag they have apparently always exhibited. They spouted techie stuff at me as to why, so I just nodded and bought what they pointed at :)

Great stuff Plurv, I hope your troubleshooting is helping decrease your lag issues.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 am

playret0195x wrote:
PLURVIOUS wrote:

Thats only when using a bluetooth mouse which was interefing with the wifi signal on the Chromebook (but not the laptop). Could still be related to the number of clicks.

I have a friend who is a computer genius. I was asking him about the lag. He said some stuff that was over my head (something about Facebook APIs and content delivery network load balancing). Anyway, he said he could profile the browser while the game is lagging, look at network traffic, RAM, disk activity, etc.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Daily lag again... :roll:

Making it impossible to PvP.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next