View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Better Ice Fishing 

I'm broadly aware of ice fishing - just waiting for someone to be disabled and then raiding them. I've never tried it.

It seems to be a very efficient way of gathering valuable yellow badges, and I'm noticing there's a LOT of it going on now.

I don't have the numbers to really fully understand it... but it would seem that some people are opening dozens of different tabs on players - perhaps bumping them - and keeping the tab open, and then periodically going through them all to grab a yellow badge.

Is there more to it than this, or is it just a case of finding which browser can handle a 100+ tabs and starting on it?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

As someone who vultures a lot of raids, I rarely use more than 2 or 3 tabs. I keep 1 or 2 on the battle tab to let them age and then use the remaining tab for everything else. As far as how long to wait, I usually check based on the default timer, so every 15 minutes. If you're using mostly TMs, 5 to 10 minutes is generally a good window to look for carrion.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Yeah I know you vulture lots. :)

You took 2 off me earlier. Several people got in on me within a few minutes of being disabled which made me think people have efficient and effective ways of doing it.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:03 pm

i only use a single tab (and others might want to practice getting used to that since Dan hinted that he would be addressing multi.tabs / multi.devices in the near future). limits me to only 10 fishing targets at a time. i have heard of others that open up one tab at one scan level ... then boost scan in a second tab and have another bunch of targets at a different scan level.

you can also informally 'tag.team' when you know another active pvp killer is online. not quite perfect ice.fishing, but when you have 2 ships hitting the same laughable, they go down pretty quickly. one gets the red, 2 get yellows.

sometimes you get lucky and after you kill the first ship on your bt ... you just collect yellows from 4 or 5 of the other 9 as there are so many killers online.

the other thing to try if your bt gets stale is to shuffle up (or down) your scan. make sure you bump off any ships that have already been truced / pacified. bumping off those that have just recently buffed for a scan run or npc run is usually a good idea. i also tend to bump fixers and higher ranks that are unlikely to get downed by anyone anytime soon ... leave the more vulnerable pickings on the bt before i step away and return to ice.fish.

those who whine to me about being a multi ... just do not understand how the bt works. if someone has recently repaired .. they go into the pool. everyone who refreshes their bt can now see them. as long as i keep my bt open ... if someone else disables that ship ... i can vulture / ice.fish the raid. the fact that it is soon after you get disabled ... well i try not to keep my bt the same for more than 15 minutes ... so that is the timeframe when i will likely be collecting raids from the disables made by other pilots. heck, there have been times when i target a ship ... and as the window opens up ... the ship goes from up to disabled in the time i go to check the effects tab.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:37 pm
Profile WWW

I go through my tab every couple of hours and take any raids that pop up XD

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Warning, in following the above advice you may incur haters, e.g.:

Quote:
3 hours, 38 mins ago From: Tanitsdragon
cant you kill me your self buddy I am getting sick of you coming and raiding me after some one else dis me

2 hours, 58 mins ago From: Sixt9
Yup Dragon I agree he raids me everytime someone else disables me... within minutes... almost like hes using a bot to search for disabled players

2 hours, 33 mins ago From: Sixt9
More like an observation, I am taking screenshots to send to Dan though

I would provide them with an explanation like Senator gave,
senatorhung wrote:
those who whine to me about being a multi ... just do not understand how the bt works. if someone has recently repaired .. they go into the pool. everyone who refreshes their bt can now see them. as long as i keep my bt open ... if someone else disables that ship ... i can vulture / ice.fish the raid. the fact that it is soon after you get disabled ... well i try not to keep my bt the same for more than 15 minutes ... so that is the timeframe when i will likely be collecting raids from the disables made by other pilots.

... but in my experience they're not interested in pesky things like facts and strategy.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 am

Haters gonna hate

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:24 pm

1. you don't want to get raided or disabled - there is a thing called a halc or calming device - use it - and of course KV's and QFT's- make it harder too
2. Ice fishing is part of the game - 1 disabled - 1 raid and 1 hack per person/ per day is fine - if he raids you twice then I see an issue
3. turnaround is fair play - watch his six and when he goes down you pull the same stunt

the idea is to gain position in the current leaderboard - doing 1 disable - then raid takes more energy than just raid - for badges and for rep for leaderboards
almost impossible doing it that way

Ive never ran 10 tabs at once - 3-4 max

to complain when there are bigger issues - like using 25 TM's to raid you then another 25TM's to hack you after a disable is far worse
easy to do against a PVP'er - Ive been hit like that so don't complain about someone getting an easy drop
I took the hit - I didn't complain either - I'll get even later (like I said turn around is fair play)

why hit someone 2x times higher or more - take a heck of a lot of damage - to what? get nothing - you more likely to not succeed in raid or hack and maybe get a red

Simple rule - if someone higher than you hits you send the pain downward - for every red/yellow/blue ...you hit 5 or 10 members weaker than you with the same
survival of the fittest

this is a space game - ever hear about space pirates
play an online space game - get blown to bits - -not disabled - lose cargo - lose ship - have to buy ship and upgrades again or pay for busted ship & towing fees - and do repairs and replace any lost parts or artifacts for ship

hell off a lot more expensive
I remember using tractor beams to pick up space junk for High end parts and cargo

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]