View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for PvP advice 

Hello fellow reader!

I am currently trying to improve my style of player and require some better PvP knowledge. I will point out some main issues I am having if anyone could fill me in that would be great, I ain't a total dummy but these are my stats for my current rank; Attack:1307 / Defense:390 / Cloak:245 all unbuffed my current race and profession is Konqul Excavator.

I am aware the higher level you go the harder it is to disable players. I am currently Rank 60 in game with Player Kills 181 & Deaths from Player 5, these are the advice I'd like or any information on the subject.

- Picking a target, what should I be looking out for?
- No easy targets for me to kill, how should I go about taking on a better opponent
- What should my average energy spent be on each target I choose roughly 'Only have 308 Energy'

This is basically my ship:

Any help advice or feed back would help. Thanks again!

Design by: Malevolentia

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:33 pm

MikeyBoy1995 wrote:
I am aware the higher level you go the harder it is to disable players

It's not that harder, you will find less easy target but there isn't any issue to get your badges.
I think it is a good thing to collect your badge now, the energy spent at higher rank is better used in NPC (personal opinion).

MikeyBoy1995 wrote:
- Picking a target, what should I be looking out for?

I'd use a spy probe def to check their def.
Look the size of the ship.
Check their hull.
And maybe check the number of days played.
You will have a good idea on how many shots it will take to kill it.

MikeyBoy1995 wrote:
- No easy targets for me to kill, how should I go about taking on a better opponent

You only need energy to take down a better opponent.
There isn't technically a reward to take a better opponent (it's a waste of energy more than anything else), which doesn't give much meaning in PvP, it's more of a badging thing.

MikeyBoy1995 wrote:
- What should my average energy spent be on each target I choose roughly 'Only have 308 Energy'

If you spend a lot of your time on it, you should be able to find number of targets requiring less than 6 shots to kill at your rank iirc.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:59 pm

I'll give the one piece of advice i think is valuable at any rank....

You need more energy.

Attack is great, but if you don't have a decent energy:rank ratio, you just can't get much done at all.

Also, PvP isn't harder at higher ranks, it just requires more energy than at lower ranks, which is why you need more energy(10:1 minimum).

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:04 pm

MikeyBoy1995 wrote:
I am aware the higher level you go the harder it is to disable players.

This is a pretty common misconception. I'm sure that it's more true by rank 2k or so, but as you rank up, your energy and attack will also increase. If you increase your artifact production faster than those around you do, then disabling players isn't hard, even at higher levels.

For example, at rank 600, I can take down many players in less than 100 energy, especially when I'm choosing easy targets for legion missions. If I'm hitting everyone on my bt, I spend closer to an average of 250 energy per disable (rarely over 50 clicks), but since my energy bar is getting close to 7k, even 250 energy is only about 3.5% of my total energy. If we were to apply the same proportion of energy per disable:total energy bar, to your ship, then you should be spending 4-5 energy minimum per disable, and 15 energy max...

Due to the damage cap, that's likely very difficult, so let's just say about 20-30 energy per disable should be a good amount xD

As for picking players... Use defense spy probes and check medals for deck size and time played. Low defense, larger deck size, and short time played can help you get an estimate for how strong the ship is. If you have resource probes, check arti production. High arti ships will likely be more difficult to take down, too.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Toph, kirkeastment, chiaro:scuro.

Thank you for all the advice and information I will now come up with some solution to improve myself and game play :)

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:46 pm

i got enough kills under rank 100 to get the full set of dominion 3 cannons by around rank 115. i did get a few more kills on the way up to 600, but that was mostly just to enable my raiding addiction. i saved my big PvP burst for after rank 600 (after which 90% of the best ctp drops from npc's disappear). the other advantage of waiting until later is that you have a much wider pool of targets (40% of rank down) and you will have much higher scan and attack.

for your current situation tho, if you are having trouble finding decent targets, you should pop on a few temporary scan artis to see what turns up. the combat rep at your rank is a pretty fair indication, but is much less reliable at higher ranks. that said, i still try to tap a ship once to see what kind of damage i do. if it is more than i expect for a ship of that rank, i hit a 2d time to see if that damage total holds up. if it does, the ship goes down. if not, i move onto the next ship on the battle tab and try again. i kept a log of 'easy' targets for awhile, but then i ranked out of range of most of them and i have not kept it up.

the advice that others gave about energy is definitely worthwhile. nothing is worse than running out of energy when you know only a few more hits would get you your badges.

finally, you have to be clear about why you are PvPing. for some, improving their battle rep is important, so you just want to amass kills. remember, you can only get badges every 12 hours ... but every disable counts as a kill. if you are killing for red badges, you want to be as xp / energy efficient as possible. you could also just be PvPing to enable raids for yellow badges, but you can get yellow badges off of ships disabled by others. so depending on what your aim is, your approach can be tweaked.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:42 pm
Profile WWW

Later on if you are more math inclined you may want to try to figure out a targets helmsman count using a preliminary hit followed by a spy probe defenses.

The difference between the display total and the probe total if they do not have passive defense bonuses is their helmsman count. If they have passive defense bonuses you need to remove those from the totals to get a proper estimate. That should give you a relative idea of how many brackets they have stacked.

With that information and the hulls installed on the enemy ship it should be fairly easy to estimate how much energy you will need to spend.

Roughly 3 helmsman to 10 hull and 5 shields btw.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Didn't see this mentioned, but it's worth noting. While obvious, any player who has more than 3/5/5 for their actions count cannot be halced. This could save you wasting energy hitting opponents who very well may have a trap on and end up wasting your time. Not so much now, but as you rank, use the trap probes you find form npc's to check your opponents out. Typically 3 or more traps = bad odds as the top 3 employed will be kvt, quantum, and halcyon. Two traps is iffy, but 1 or 0 should always be a go.

At low levels, rep is as good an indicator as anything, but as you go up in rank you will find rep means very little. If you have time, track how much hull your prey typically have. This would let you get an 'average' of how much damage to kill people. Divide by 5 per shot and voila'. Also if you look at their ship and see a lot of modules that could mean better damage cap for you to fight and apply pain with.

I would agree with the others that pvp certainly doesn't end or necessarily become super hard as you rank. I only had 2k kills at level 1000 and have had zero issue finding targets since. As previously stated, if you grow faster than the competition then it will always be that way.

I would say get your hacks in now while you're small and have little to lose planet wise. Crit hacks could really benefit you and crit fails won't take long to check on. my two cents.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Thank you guys so much for the wide range of advice and information.

senatorhung wrote:

finally, you have to be clear about why you are PvPing. for some, improving their battle rep is important, so you just want to amass kills. remember, you can only get badges every 12 hours ... but every disable counts as a kill. if you are killing for red badges, you want to be as xp / energy efficient as possible. you could also just be PvPing to enable raids for yellow badges, but you can get yellow badges off of ships disabled by others. so depending on what your aim is, your approach can be tweaked.

I want to have a good reputation, my stats do matter to me so I aim for a good kill to death ratio also & I like to Raid and Blue badge after a disable if possible if not just a raid would do.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Focus on dishing out more damage and focus on being able to take more hits because doing that prevents you from repairing too often after every kill or damaging your ship too much too early.

Having more on engineers if necessary to increase your energy is good as well because a person might be too difficult to disable or is online, but conserving your energy per kill for less exp is great in additon to that because when you do save energy, you are giving yourself a little wiggle room for more kills.

As for hacking, keeping your cloak higher than your scans is highly recommended because there are many people out there who you cannnot hack when you find them with high scans installed.

Raiding is similar to the hacking, however, very different because it depends on crew, so as others have said, having a large crew for performing this action is essential, but also having the ability to seek out easy raids based on their attack, defensive stats from probing and even their modules to find out how much crew they have is just as important.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Noted thanks for that!

Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Location: Where are the QSES? AMIRITE??? AMIRITE???Who is "the fly"?!How long can you make this?
Kill all the lowranks and laughables first and work your way up
Bump strong ships
Increase ap/h
Acquire tms

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

TL;DR
thanks to dan - whether intentionally or unintentionally - we can data mine quite a bit of informaiton from other players without doing much work. Taylor swift talked about one such stat in their right up here.
created a sort of walkthrough of how I pvp in case it helps you or anyone else :
anaylze their stats:
kill :: death ratio is pretty pointless once you get past rank 100 ( ish )
NPC kills, and mission(s) completed - at low levels - will give you a very good idea of the target's playstyle.
the important stats you want to analyze are :
planet scans :
planet captures :
the more scans a player has performed the more chance they will have of finding good planets
invades helps to determine how adamant a player is about stealing planets ( hopefully good ones ) though this has become muddled due to the lean towards footballing

next you will want to probe the player to get a TRUE identification of their pvp qualities
attack / defense probes are your best friend for knowing how strong a player's combat abilities ACTUALLY are. dont rely on this :

**for if you are in a war**
you can find the enemy's shipment schedule and values using resource probes Image important to note that using probes does not alert the other player and does not count as an offensive action. You can use this to maximize the effect on the opponent because by paying enough attention you can steal their resources hourly before they have a chance to claim - assuming they have actions remaining. ( this is a great way for the little guys in a war to deal damage to the bigger ships )

the above provided a fairly reliable indicator for how to tell a ship's strength, however the game's pvp scene changed greatly on Aug-12-2012 when medals / medal points were introduced into the game, this allowed for even more data gathering and espionage ( sort of ) that you could use on enemy players :
by allowing players to view enemy player medals this gives you even more indicators, i'll outline the most important ones :
size : determine your opponent's based on their damage cap.
----------------------------------------------------------------
GP : see if they are a GP spender, the hide and seek medal is a good indicator, though you can check the individual project planet medals for certainty.
Though for a true sure fire way to see if they spend GP, this one will tell you :
GP spenders will tend to have project planets, pure high qulaity production planets that you / they dont need to defend can seriously give you a nice edge if you build them right.
----------------------------------------------------------------
days played : Days played is not affected if you reset your ship so you can tell if you are dealing with a new or old player really easily.
newer players will typically not have nice planets and be easier to disable. Older players are most likely following the "reset" trend, where they give away some REALLY good planets ( 15 - 22x mega rich very massive ) to people they know / trust, reset and then magically "find" them again. These players you probably want to stear clear of because they probably also have massive amounts of artifacts with them as well ( particularly TMs ).

anyrate hope that helps.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 pm

That advice was almost too good.

Just kill everyone, says time in checking all that crap.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:13 pm

yea thats more geared towards low ranks / small E bars - me :P - and only applies for so long i realize.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm

just attack if you do more damage then they are doing to you keep hitting if they do more to you move on...

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:40 am

pokerman123 wrote:
just attack if you do more damage then they are doing to you keep hitting if they do more to you move on...

Just kill, kill, and kill. At some point you won't care about the death count, not a large difference between 800 and 1000 deaths (IMO)

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Took me sometime but manage to read through everything, thanks so much for all the advice I've gotten to where I wanted in such a short amount of time <3

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:07 am

One thing I have noticed about battles is this: Against bases, if you have 450 atk and hit a level 6 glass base, you will do about 400+ DMG. So you should cap level 5 and below glass bases? WRONG! You will be doing about 190-220 against a glass level 5. This also works in PvP. If someone has similar stats to you, but you have a bigger ship, my findings are that the bigger ship gets hit for more. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41172&p=418403#p418403 <---Ship log

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:52 pm

TheBandit wrote:
One thing I have noticed about battles is this: Against bases, if you have 450 atk and hit a level 6 glass base, you will do about 400+ DMG. So you should cap level 5 and below glass bases? WRONG! You will be doing about 190-220 against a glass level 5. This also works in PvP. If someone has similar stats to you, but you have a bigger ship, my findings are that the bigger ship gets hit for more. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

The maximum damage that can be inflicted upon a ship (the damage cap) is 1/2 of the decks or (rank +19) / 2, whichever is larger

Damage is calculated roughly as follows:

Damage per shot = tanh( attack*(random(0.6 to 1.666)) / (defense * 5) ) * damagecap

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next