View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NPCs Scaling With Other Attributes 

NPCs currently only scale with a player's rank. What if they scaled in other ways, such as their defense increases the more energy a player has?

An example could be:
Quote:
The {npcname}'s absorbers feed off of nearby energy sources, feeding back into its defensive systems.

Then, the more current energy a player has, the more defense this NPC will have. This would introduce a new strategy of waiting until your energy is low before tackling this enemy. I'd like to see similar strategies added to the game to make it less monotonous, and to make decisions made by the player feel more accomplishing.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 am

since i will have a 150k energy bar by the end of the month, i wouldn't support this idea .. you are basically penalizing those who have prepared their ship properly for the endgame.

instead, keep using rank as the independent variable, but just have cloak increase with rank. so you could have an NPC that has cloak = 3*rank up to 1000 .. then after rank 1000, has cloak = 5*rank .. after rank 2000, has cloak = 10*rank. that way, the NPC can always be found, but gets harder to find as you go up in rank. you could also have NPCs that work in the opposite direction - harder to find at low ranks .. then get easier to find the higher you rank up. so still varying with rank, but not restricted by rank.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:59 am
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
after rank 2000, has cloak = 10*rank. .

So...impossible to find unless you are Zolazin? And impossible past around rank 2500? Or do you mean NPC rank? (in which case that would only apply to NPCs w/a specific rank and not a matching rank...?)

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Interesting idea might just level the playing field

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Much as it pains me to admit, I'm with the Senator on this one. Even if we didn't have players with huge energy bars, adding difficulty without adding reward is just annoying. New NPCs are always nice but programming them is more effort than Dan seems willing to expend. My idea would be that after killing 100 NPCs of a given race, you'd get an enforcer ship of that race with stats x10 or x100 of common ships that would drop a cache of ctp (or EM or research/mineral/artifact points, anything that wouldn't require Dan to invent a new artifact). Every 10th enforcer would be a super enforcer with x10 stats and x10 reward. You could continue the progression infinitely with minimal programming.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
My idea would be that after killing 100 NPCs of a given race, you'd get an enforcer ship of that race with stats x10 or x100 of common ships that would drop a cache of ctp (or EM or research/mineral/artifact points, anything that wouldn't require Dan to invent a new artifact). Every 10th enforcer would be a super enforcer with x10 stats and x10 reward. You could continue the progression infinitely with minimal programming.

i would bump the required number of NPCs of a given race up to 1000 and have the stats be 200x, but the principle is sound.

what i would be okay with is to give you a choice of rewards when these are dropped. the list of rewards can be randomized so you get 3 choices out of x possible, 1 of those choices being fixed based on the race of the enforcer. then the x can be the number of races, with stuff like prismodyne energy or ctp or relic badges or corruption, or a 4hr cache etc.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]