View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Planets (finding the ones you want to keep) 

It seems to me a flaw in this game is the way planets are discovered and occupied/conquered.

1) very few planets are excellent.
2) anyone at a low rank who accidentally discovered a excellent planet has a MAJOR advantage over all other players at the rank and if they read the guides they understand how important it is to keep the planet. Also if they do not share the planet the odds are low it'll be discovered by someone else that has the ability to conquer it.
3) it is very difficult to locate new planets - scanning, hacks, artifacts
4) At the higher ranks if you have excellent planets it makes a big difference vs. the player that has average planets.

5) is this really the way it is suppose to be? I ask because I'm beginning to get frustrated and just as I left Farmville I may leave this game. I know I'm not the only one who is frustrated and that should be important to the developer.

I really would like to see Dan have a successful game/website (especially since it doesn't seem to be owned by a corporation).

Also someone mentioned this game was based upon another older game. Which one was that? Maybe I could read up on it. It would really help if I had a clue as to the future of what is to come if I continue playing. I'm reaching levels of needing 65000 research when I'm only generating about 1000/hr and typically I need to complete 3 of 3 (3*65000) and hear it goes even higher! I hesitate to hack my way to more planets due to the very low rate of successfully finding a excellent planet. I did get two Star Chart Purger's but certainly their needs to be a higher percentage given out in order to wipe the crap we scan so often. I think the planet flux (the one that wipes the planet from all other players database) is great but really that couldn't happen in real life -- how about an artifact that comes along more often and takes 1 space and gives a cloak of a number that eliminate all but ships that have 4 scanners installed at the 10th research level; this artifact would also permit a person to have the planet in their list but when they click on it 'it would appear the planet is gone?' and they couldn't access it again until they reach the above mentioned scanning level.

Can the scanning be changed? This is my crazy though that may be impossible to implement. Assuming each planet has a spacial coordinate associated with it. Your ship has to be orbiting a planet and you scan from that position in space. It takes a little time to travel between planets or to attack a ship. When you're away your always orbiting/guarding a planet. At the start of the game you are randomly placed a planet in the universe. It should be short trips between planets in a galaxy but maybe up to a week going between the galaxies within the universe.

uh I'm dreaming -- enough. Anyways these are just my crazy thoughts. Dan or other admins maybe this should be moved to the suggestions or should it stay here.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm

My thoughts:
1. Your thoughts are not crazy, it's reality.
2. The game mainly depends on luck, or how much you are willing to pay to "increase" this luck (pay = you can make lousy planets good planets)

In reply to your post
BrianGameAcct wrote:
1) very few planets are excellent.
2) anyone at a low rank who accidentally discovered a excellent planet has a MAJOR advantage over all other players at the rank and if they read the guides they understand how important it is to keep the planet. Also if they do not share the planet the odds are low it'll be discovered by someone else that has the ability to conquer it.
3) it is very difficult to locate new planets - scanning, hacks, artifacts
4) At the higher ranks if you have excellent planets it makes a big difference vs. the player that has average planets.

1) True, that's why there are terraforming devices and Expanders. Hard to get through artifact shipments. Also buy-able :cry:
2) Whatever the rank, if you get tons of good planets, it does give a advantage over others.
3) Especially when you hit the 100-200+ planet range. Skipping 2 tier scanners = hundreds of research points. And after the research is done? The credits dreads comes along...
4) At any rank it would have an impact, though at higher it's more prominent as they can own more planets.

BrianGameAcct wrote:
Can the scanning be changed?

Seriously need more than 0% scan success... I sure hope the EXTREME tier sensors will function properly and not spit out a message - 'no planet found' (other words, their scan stat should be sufficiently high enough so that scanning is still possible after multiple hacks/star charts)

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:53 pm

I think it should be alot easier to scan planets - But also it should be much easier to defend the planets you have - since more people will likely scan the ones you have.

There should be a range limit at which larger players can attack smaller players - and to even participate in (with legions) and to actually invade smaller player's planets. So a player at level 150 couldn't attack/raid/hack/use artifacts against/invade a level 28 player because a level 10 player alerted their legion.

ImageImageImage
Officer of The Knights Who Say Ni

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Maybe if the scan success percent bottomed out at somewhere around 5-10% you could keep trying your luck if you really wanted to.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I will try to make the purger available in more ways, such as a repeatable mission.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:54 pm

webguydan wrote:
I will try to make the purger available in more ways, such as a repeatable mission.

I think this is a good solution. It's been more than a month that I haven't done a scanning blitz and it will need me another month to do the next one (yeah tech takes time and money :D)

Going for star purgers is a great way for unlucky players to retry their luck :)

But there will always be people unhappy anyway :D

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Yes there is much luck in finding (good) planets.

I have been playing about a week and have found 18 planets from 54 scans but I have only found one worth using as a research planet. Not yet breaking 100/hr for min/art/res.

Whereas my nephew has played for 3 days and has an Average terra 3xMega Rich Artifact planet, my best is an average volcanic rich mining.

I am advancing in rank but falling behind in research. Infact I am wasting energy to stop ranking in order to let my research catch up.

I guess you cut your cloth according to what you receive. I'm in for the long haul so I expect luck to average out over time.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:36 pm

I got a friend to play and in his first scan blitz he found an EXOTIC and the best I have after MANY scan blitzes is an Average terra

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Out of the 12 planets I currently have, 4 were scanned myself (my 4 worst planets coincidentally), 3 were invaded from others, the locations of which I received through hacks, and five were shared to me by people I know who were sympathetic to my horrible horrible luck.

I basically don't even bother scanning anymore. You have to sell ALL of your current equipment, unless you've screwed up your ship stats and dumped half your points into hull size, AND buy new scanners, which when you do you realize you have a 99% chance for 1 planet, then a 93%, and all the way down to 40% after like what, 6 planets? So you spent all that money and energy...for six planets. Five of which are below average for both size and production, MAYBE one is at the average level for one, and the sixth might slightly be worthwhile colonizing, like an average/very abundant, if you're super super desperate.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Andrew Pogue wrote:
...unless you've screwed up your ship stats and dumped half your points into hull size...

Umm, I see a problem in the part I bolded...

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

Cargo size*.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:49 am

Oh, I thought you meant deck space

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 am

Barracuda thank you for your thoughts.

Zhorgul your comments are scary. I'm at 84 planets so what I understand is the next scan will be a little worse than the last one and so on.

Blake count yourself lucky and your nephew ... well he should be playing the lottery!

So Dan if I understand this thread I guess I should play for fun and when I get above 100 planets and don't have access to any excellent ones --
Leave or reset and do over?

By the way when I sort all the planets I scanned (84) only 3 out of the top 20 resources are occupied by others. I only have 1xMegaRich and then it's rich for the other 19 and then it drops off. Also I did have people take pity on me and share rich planets which I colonized. So I wonder what they have if they abandon Rich Average+ sized planets!

Everyone thanks for your thoughts. Dan please make that planet artifact the easy to get. I think I want to load up on 20 of them before my next scan of planets. Although you could do other things to change planetary scans.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

in response to # 2 I always thought It would be nice if the planet you get at the beginning would be guaranteed to be good (at atleast one thing) and be unfound by anyone.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:30 am

LVL 48.. I have a exotic and 4 terras..

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Chakotay,
I'm going to look for you.
Then I'm going going to attack you.
Then I'll spend weeks trying to obtain a critical hack that exposes one of your exotic's
Then latter I'll take the exotic from you since it's pretty easy to steal a planet since Dan designed the game that way.

You have an unbelievable advantage and are foolish to tell everyone that you have exotic & terra's. I bet others much higher in rank than me will locate you and harvest your planets for their own advantage. Harvesting weaker players planets is what happens in this game. How do you think all those high rank players have such great planets. I wonder if any planets worthwhile will be left when I finally find you.

I'm jealous! :!:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm

BrianGameAcct wrote:
Zhorgul your comments are scary. I'm at 84 planets so what I understand is the next scan will be a little worse than the last one and so on.

Why? You thought that everyone would reach 10,000 scanned planets after 2 months play? :D

To research the next scan tech I have on my list (the whole 3 lvls), it will take me around 12 days, and yet, I believe I'd better jump to the next tech ^^

Then it's probably going to be way too pricy for me, even with my decent mining/H ... It will probably take me another week to finance the whole blitz :D

so yes ... If I can have a hundred Chart purgers, I would be really happy!

Improving scans doesn't help you finding great planets uncolonized, it just raises the number of planets you can scan with a proper Success% ... But it does increase your chances to find an "occupied & cloaked" good planet.

After that, it's all luck or not ...

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:53 pm

In the posts above I have seen the terms " good " and " excellent " mentioned. I assume these are relative terms indicating a certain combination of planet size in conjunction with resource abundance. Has there actually been some range set for these two terms, or are they just arbitrary terms made up by individual players based on their current Goals & Objectives?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:32 am

integrityseeks wrote:
In the posts above I have seen the terms " good " and " excellent " mentioned. I assume these are relative terms indicating a certain combination of planet size in conjunction with resource abundance. Has there actually been some range set for these two terms, or are they just arbitrary terms made up by individual players based on their current Goals & Objectives?

I think it mostly depends on Current Goals. e.g If someone is short on credits, mining would be better although there is a 25% richer artifact planet in front of the player.
Although, the correct meaning would be this as it applies to everyone...
integrityseeks wrote:
I assume these are relative terms indicating a certain combination of planet size in conjunction with resource abundance.

Bigger planet + better resources = Good planet (excellent = better :))

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 am

Every 4 levels i scan up some planet in the rich-scale and keep it, i dont bother trying to find something better because its "impossible" and just waste of energy trying to find something better

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next