View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Reactors shouldnt be like that? 

At the risk of sounding smug i think i should point out that the way reactors work in game is not the way they should. Really, a reactor generates power instantaneously. Capacitors or batteries then store the power.

My suggestion would be for each reactor upgrade to output a slightly larger amount of power per time frame. Given the basic starting reactor generates 1 energy per 3 minutes, an upgrade could increase that to 1.1 energy and so on. This could open up a new tier of research for capacitors or batteries or however else the energy is actually stored. I just didnt think it made much sense for the reactor to determine storage capacity.

Then the circuits and relays could be adjusted to how they really work in RL. Meaning they could decrease the total cost of missions because they are more efficient. Less power lost due to whatever, interference, thermal instability, etc.

I think this would add a bit more variety to the research trees and playing styles. Giving the potential to win battles by having more efficient ships or accomplish more missions or just taylor your ship a little differently.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 pm

in this game reactors = more power available to do stuff with. relays = faster recharge rate.

something tells me there is nothing to gain, but everything to lose with this idea.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

hunter wrote:
in this game reactors = more power available to do stuff with. relays = faster recharge rate.

something tells me there is nothing to gain, but everything to lose with this idea.

/concur

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Was just an idea and i appreciate your feedback. I understand your concern too, but one more question.

If batteries increased your max power, relays decreased the cost of missions and reactors increased your recharge rate then what is there to lose? I am sure I am missing the point but was just trying to think of more options and make it similar to existing technology. Thanks again.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Jason wrote:
Was just an idea and i appreciate your feedback. I understand your concern too, but one more question.

If batteries increased your max power, relays decreased the cost of missions and reactors increased your recharge rate then what is there to lose? I am sure I am missing the point but was just trying to think of more options and make it similar to existing technology. Thanks again.

well for one there would be a total redesign of existing functionality. the people that already have relays and reactors might get pissed that the function of those devices changed overnight. and having relays already reduce the costs of using energy. for instance with my relays i save up to 18% on all energy earned. lets wait for the Developer to share his opinion on this.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Ya, I totally wouldnt want to take anything from anyone that already has it. Thats definitely a no no.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I understand that compared with the real-world physical attributes of batteries, reactors, and relays, the current items do not behave in a similar way. However, there is currently no plans to change how they work.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]