Energy is the most important resource that you will manage as captain of your ship. Your current Energy reserve is shown by the yellow bar in the upper left portion of your screen (above Hull) along with numbers showing your current usable energy reserve and current energy capacity when full. Players start with 80 energy, provided by 80 Engineers.
Energy allows you to complete the basic functions of Galaxy Legion, these being...
- To advance in Missions
- To colonize, attack and invade Planets
- To attack and disable other ships and Legion Bases
- To hack or raid other players
- To use certain Artifacts
- To post on Ship Comms (not Legion Comms)
- To bid on items in The Galactic Trading Center
Energy is gained in several ways:
- Regenerated over time.
- The base regeneration period is 3 minutes for 1 energy point.
- The regeneration period is reduced by the amounts and types of Relays, certain Mission Items and Artifacts installed on your ship.
- The countdown timer to the right of the Energy Bar shows the time remaining until the next energy point is added.
- Full Energy Refills can be done.
- Advancing in Rank refills energy reserves to the installed capacity.
Energy can be improved in three ways:
- Recharge Rate: Installing Relays and certain Mission Rewards and Artifacts onto your ship will reduce the time it takes to recharge one point of energy, allowing you to do more in the game sooner. This often comes at the cost of lowering your max energy capacity, so be careful not to be gone too long, or energy will fill and the benefit is wasted.
- Energy capacity: Installing Reactors and certain Artifacts onto your ship will increase your maximum energy capacity, thereby letting you get a good night's sleep (or earn a living) without worrying about filling up and wasting regeneration cycles. Installing some of these is often considered essential if you use Relays, to counter the capacity reduction inherent in them.
- Crew: Purchasing Engineers with Rank Points will permanently increase your max energy. You gain two Engineers (and thus, two max energy) for every rank point spent. Where ship modules come with install and upkeep costs, Engineers take no space and will happily work for free. They also improve your chance of successfully raiding.